Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Aug 14, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #2,266 of 2,666
These Elrog 5U4G's are no joke!

Yeah, they're expensive. They have every right to be. By far the best rectifiers I've heard to date. Easily surpass my beloved KR-Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions.

By far.

Do they have to be matched or can you just buy any 2?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #2,267 of 2,666
Aug 15, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #2,268 of 2,666
Elrogs are nothing like conventional tubes. Completely different innards, including plates, filaments, and design. Trust me, I've got quite a collection of rectifiers (5U4g, 274B) and these put them ALL to shame. My beloved KR Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions sound like lumps of coal compared to these. Takatsuki's can't touch them. EML's are lifeless in comparison. They're worth EVERY PENNY.

What exactly makes them so good? Can you provide a few more specifics? I'm starting to look for a new rectifier for my WA22.

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #2,269 of 2,666
What exactly makes them so good? Can you provide a few more specifics? I'm starting to look for a new rectifier for my WA22.
+1. Would like to hear what makes them better

Aug 15, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #2,270 of 2,666
Honestly it's hard to take comments like...

My beloved KR Audio 5U4G Riccardo Kron Anniversary Editions sound like lumps of coal compared to these. Takatsuki's can't touch them. EML's are lifeless in comparison.

...seriously.

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #2,272 of 2,666
🤙 versus 👍

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #2,273 of 2,666
Honestly it's hard to take comments like...

...seriously.
Credit where credit is due. That's my comment. I stand by what I said. I LOVE my KR RK's and have for a while. But when I find something better, and in this case, significantly better (IMHO), I don't have an issue admitting when I've changed my opinions.

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #2,274 of 2,666

+1. Would like to hear what makes them better
From the Stereonet Review:

Production under Mayer’s watch is said to be significantly improved in terms of quality and reliability. Thomas tends to do things differently, the most notable difference being the use of thoriated tungsten filaments instead of metal oxide. He says that these are less prone to contaminations as oxide coated filaments, explaining that “contaminations simply get burned off while they can ‘poison’ the chemical mix of the coating of other filaments. They also react faster to different current demands which results in better dynamics and resolution.”

Given that it is widely believed that such filaments work more effectively at higher voltages, I asked Thomas how it ties in with its use in the 5V filament in the 300B and 274B, for example? “The filaments of the 300B and 274B had to be 5V to be compatible and draw the same current as standard specification 300B and 274B tubes. There is the result that the ER300B, for example, has a slightly higher than standard 300B spec Rp because of this.” Thomas adds that Molybdenum has a much smoother surface than other materials and is less prone to secondary emission effects. This is why it’s common in high powered transmitter tubes and has benefits for relatively low powered audio tubes. When I pointed out that his ER274B design is unusual for using vertically stacked plates, he replied that, “we love to do things differently!”

...and from VinylSavior:

Like all ELROG tubes the ER5U4G has a thoriated tungsten filament which gives off a bright light. The two plates are arranged vertically one above the other so that the filament is visible between them.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #2,275 of 2,666
Credit where credit is due. That's my comment. I stand by what I said. I LOVE my KR RK's and have for a while. But when I find something better, and in this case, significantly better (IMHO), I don't have an issue admitting when I've changed my opinions.
Haha. Reminds me when I said the Elrog ER300B makes the Western Electric 300B sound broken.

Elrogs are just on a different level.

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #2,276 of 2,666
Haha. Reminds me when I said the Elrog ER300B makes the Western Electric 300B sound broken.

Elrogs are just on a different level.
Exactly. Once upon a time, it was you and me against the world with the Elrogs. Everyone had a bad taste in their mouth because of QC issues of the past. These tubes really are that much better than the competition, and I've hit most of them, and whatever I've missed, you've covered.

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #2,277 of 2,666
20220815_200247.jpg

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #2,278 of 2,666
From the Stereonet Review:

Production under Mayer’s watch is said to be significantly improved in terms of quality and reliability. Thomas tends to do things differently, the most notable difference being the use of thoriated tungsten filaments instead of metal oxide. He says that these are less prone to contaminations as oxide coated filaments, explaining that “contaminations simply get burned off while they can ‘poison’ the chemical mix of the coating of other filaments. They also react faster to different current demands which results in better dynamics and resolution.”

Given that it is widely believed that such filaments work more effectively at higher voltages, I asked Thomas how it ties in with its use in the 5V filament in the 300B and 274B, for example? “The filaments of the 300B and 274B had to be 5V to be compatible and draw the same current as standard specification 300B and 274B tubes. There is the result that the ER300B, for example, has a slightly higher than standard 300B spec Rp because of this.” Thomas adds that Molybdenum has a much smoother surface than other materials and is less prone to secondary emission effects. This is why it’s common in high powered transmitter tubes and has benefits for relatively low powered audio tubes. When I pointed out that his ER274B design is unusual for using vertically stacked plates, he replied that, “we love to do things differently!”

...and from VinylSavior:

Like all ELROG tubes the ER5U4G has a thoriated tungsten filament which gives off a bright light. The two plates are arranged vertically one above the other so that the filament is visible between them.
Read all this before. I meant your opinion lol

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #2,279 of 2,666
Ok, here's my review:

Conventional rectifiers are all built in a similar fashion, using carbon filaments in between various carbonized plates (I don't recall the specifics). Normal rectifiers also suffer from "power fade" - like they run out of juice if you're hitting them with loud, hard, fast music.

Standard rectifiers can dramatically shape the sound in your system (depending on what amplifier you're using). In my Woo Audio amps, it's VERY dramatic. Yes, Diana Princesses look pretty, but they sound wholly unfulfilled in comparison. The Takatsuki's are strong, powerful, clean tubes. They lack impact and presence. The Takatsuki fade into the background (which some may prefer), but they make no real name for themself. The KR RK's are bold and robust, with hard-hitting bass at the sacrifice of cleanliness, and they can suffer some power sag. They're very warm in tone, but not muddy. Western Electrics are good, but that's it. They don't excel at anything other than glowing blue. They're a very mushy cereal. EML labs (another one of my favorites) begin to become tight and close and lose all musical feel. They feel like they're going through the steps.

In comparison, the Elrogs bring POWER and PRESENCE with them. Sub-bass magically appears. Bass is heard but not overblown, Male vocals are rich and warm, while female voices are clear and bright or smoky and sultry. The voices are more full and complete. There's a certain airiness and soundstage with these. They need to be heard to be believed. The mid-highs and bright and clean without being sibilant. Bright instruments ring appropriately. Cymbals crash and reverberate. You're not closed into a closet full of grandma's winter sweaters. The Elrogs are very musical, and can handle everything from classical to jazz to rock to dubstep. Colonel Saul Tigh approved!

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #2,280 of 2,666
Ok, here's my review:

Conventional rectifiers are all built in a similar fashion, using carbon filaments in between various carbonized plates (I don't recall the specifics). Normal rectifiers also suffer from "power fade" - like they run out of juice if you're hitting them with loud, hard, fast music.

Standard rectifiers can dramatically shape the sound in your system (depending on what amplifier you're using). In my Woo Audio amps, it's VERY dramatic. Yes, Diana Princesses look pretty, but they sound wholly unfulfilled in comparison. The Takatsuki's are strong, powerful, clean tubes. They lack impact and presence. The Takatsuki fade into the background (which some may prefer), but they make no real name for themself. The KR RK's are bold and robust, with hard-hitting bass at the sacrifice of cleanliness, and they can suffer some power sag. They're very warm in tone, but not muddy. Western Electrics are good, but that's it. They don't excel at anything other than glowing blue. They're a very mushy cereal. EML labs (another one of my favorites) begin to become tight and close and lose all musical feel. They feel like they're going through the steps.

In comparison, the Elrogs bring POWER and PRESENCE with them. Sub-bass magically appears. Bass is heard but not overblown, Male vocals are rich and warm, while female voices are clear and bright or smoky and sultry. The voices are more full and complete. There's a certain airiness and soundstage with these. They need to be heard to be believed. The mid-highs and bright and clean without being sibilant. Bright instruments ring appropriately. Cymbals crash and reverberate. You're not closed into a closet full of grandma's winter sweaters. The Elrogs are very musical, and can handle everything from classical to jazz to rock to dubstep. Colonel Saul Tigh approved!
Thanks man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back