Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Aug 14, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,321 of 2,672

A little over 3 years ago I was selling these for $15 each then went up to $40. This is just crazy for a tube that is not that much different then a 5U4GB
the tube that everyone hates. Don't look cool.

Wow, by the time I picked up on the hype (and thats probably why they are so expensive now) to try a pair, they cost me $100 each to get to the UK.

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #1,324 of 2,672

To my ears those tubes are very very different in the WA5. But I agree that they would, in an ideal world, sell for similar sorts.

Yeah I mean the sonically qualities in my WA22 are different I think I would categorize the 596 has a lighter touch with a slightly wider sound stage and airier extension but the mullard 5ar4 gives a more solid state performance with a bit richer bass.

I heard all 596 are from the same manufacturer so maybe those are older or newer?

Aug 14, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #1,325 of 2,672
WOW! For me its almost the exact opposite.

In the WA5 i would say the 596 turns the amp into a bass monster, no other rectifier I own, including the WE422a can match the awesome bass these rectifiers help push out, but the 5AR4 in the Woo are really euphonic, mellow, somewhat laid back with a great British Mullard tube tone. the soundstage on the 596 is very good agreed, but I would call it the more SS, of the two - a very forward presentation.

Different ears, different amps, different cans (probably)
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #1,326 of 2,672
  WOW! For me its almost the exact opposite.

In the WA5 i would say the 596 turns the amp into a bass monster, no other rectifier I own, including the WE422a can match the awesome bass these rectifiers help push out, but the 5AR4 in the Woo are really euphonic, mellow, somewhat laid back with a great British Mullard tube tone. the soundstage on the 596 is very good agreed, but I would call it the more SS, of the two - a very forward presentation.

Different ears, different amps, different cans (probably)
smily_headphones1.gif

I think if people have the wa22 596 with same drivers etc. we are listening then to the same thing all things being equal then it is a question of description.  The brute facts are there.  The description can be analytically objective if words can be precise but they often fail.  The preference - whether you like it or not - is subjective.

I know other people call the 596 as having richer bass on the wa22 but I would call that being more layered textured.  But the mullard is thicker warmer so feels less defined but more "powerful" because of that but I can see why one would say euphonic or euphoric because it is not as textured.
I mean, as you describe it, on the WA5 and as I have heard others describe it on wa22 - I can understand that description as you put it.  Or in other words I'm having an "Oh I see why you would say it like that" moment I sometimes have when reading headfi.   

Aug 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #1,327 of 2,672

I think if people have the wa22 596 with same drivers etc. we are listening then to the same thing all things being equal then it is a question of description.  The brute facts are there.  The description can be analytically objective if words can be precise but they often fail.  The preference - whether you like it or not - is subjective.

I know other people call the 596 as having richer bass on the wa22 but I would call that being more layered textured.  But the mullard is thicker warmer so feels less defined but more "powerful" because of that but I can see why one would say euphonic or euphoric because it is not as textured.
I mean, as you describe it, on the WA5 and as I have heard others describe it on wa22 - I can understand that description as you put it.  Or in other words I'm having an "Oh I see why you would say it like that" moment I sometimes have when reading headfi.   

Might try the 596 in my wa22 when it come

Aug 14, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,330 of 2,672

Might try the 596 in my wa22 when it come

Considering the price of 596 now.. I recommend skipping it and go WE422A.
It is really another level, I tried 596 on the WA22 and wasn't very impressed.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #1,331 of 2,672
Considering the price of 596 now.. I recommend skipping it and go WE422A.
It is really another level, I tried 596 on the WA22 and wasn't very impressed.

Yeah. Didn't like it in my wa6. Have a we422 on the way. Look forward to trying it.

Aug 14, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #1,332 of 2,672
So you have WA22 on the way? congrats!
More importantly, black or silver? we all know that silver reflects random EMI from the environment and therefore sounded better.

Aug 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,333 of 2,672
  So you have WA22 on the way? congrats!
More importantly, black or silver? we all know that silver reflects random EMI from the environment and therefore sounded better.

Ordering Monday, as i had to wait for some money to clean in paypal, but i really wanted the black tho

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #1,335 of 2,672
 Similar to 5U4G but slightly different, this one is made by Brimar. This tube is similar in many ways to the GZ37 tubes in that its quite warm. On the WA6-SE, this was almost too much, extremely syrupy and tubey midrange, very laid-back and lush. It did however, work well with bright headphones due to the treble roll-off. If you enjoy a warm and euphonic presentation, this tube is really nice. Compared to the GZ37's, I think it stands between the Cossor GZ37 and the Mullard GZ37. It's much better than the skinny bottle GZ37 offering more transparency (zero grain!) and a richer tonality, as well as better soundstage and imaging (rivaling that of the best tubes in depth and dimensionality). Bass is tighter and cleaner as well, though not as nice as the Cossor GZ37, its slightly less impactful and not as layered, but better than the regular GZ37 and with much better texture. While this tube lacks speed and PRaT, it does have a very natural decay and timbre, and is one of my favorite tubes for vocals and slower music. Overall, this tube is extremely good for the price, offering much of the performance of the more expensive tubes, having similar transparency and richness in tone. What's even better is the fact that this tube is still easily obtained and fairly cheap with prices ranging from $45-$100. Personally, this is a steal since I think this tube is better than the regular Mullard GZ37 and rivals the more expensive and rarer tubes out there. It is a little too slow for my taste, but if vocals, jazz, and classical are a large part of your collection, this tube is definitely a must have!

I heard this through a WA22 and Taboo MKIII.  This is a really nice and somewhat affordable tube - I like it a bit more than a mullard 5ar4 in some applications because it is more organic sounding - definitely warmer in the mids.  It is also more laid back but not a slouch - not too slow.  If you want to listen to rock, jazz or classical with laid back tube warmth this is it.  Non-fatiguing. It has depth to the sound but I don't really see the imaging but in vocals because of the warm mids (esp. in the Taboo).  Nice lush sounding with LCD3f.  I can see why Dubstep Girl places it between the fat and skinny bottle gz37.  Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back