Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Aug 8, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,291 of 2,672
We422a improvement over my other favorites, the Mullard gz32, isn't as pronounced on the wa5 as much as on the wa22. I can live without we422a on the wa5 but not on the wa22. So in a way you can justify the wa5 (old) pricing by the fact that it sounded pretty good already with much cheaper rectifier (still need 2x). Sorry our discussion didn't work out, my wa5 could of be yours already since you're one of the first to offer.

My question is what's the we422 sound like in wa6 and is it worth it?

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #1,292 of 2,672
Sorry can't help you there, never own wa6. But we422a is a very popular tube, for good reason, and you can resell it later at little or no loss to you if you don't like it. I am confident once you listen to it you'll go out to buy a back up one :).

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,293 of 2,672
My question is what's the we422 sound like in wa6 and is it worth it?

That's a rectifier worth almost as much (or the same, or more?) than the amp. Only you can decide if the SQ improvement is worth it.

My 2 cents - that is perhaps a waste of good glass. Just for fun, I put a TA274B into my WA6 (a rectifier almost twice the cost of that amp). The SQ took a leap upwards, for sure, but a lot of what the TA274B can do is going to waste because the WA6+HD600 combination just can't deliver all that the TA274B can provide. I quickly put the TA274B back in the WA5 and the Brimar back in the WA6. YMMV (as always).

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,294 of 2,672

That's a rectifier worth almost as much (or the same, or more?) than the amp. Only you can decide if the SQ improvement is worth it.

My 2 cents - that is perhaps a waste of good glass. Just for fun, I put a TA274B into my WA6 (a rectifier almost twice the cost of that amp). The SQ took a leap upwards, for sure, but a lot of what the TA274B can do is going to waste because the WA6+HD600 combination just can't deliver all that the TA274B can provide. I quickly put the TA274B back in the WA5 and the Brimar back in the WA6. YMMV (as always).

Thanks, 
Hope to upgrade to Glenns amp or wa22, love to have wa5 but might be over my head
Glenns 300b is cheaper too, just don't know that i want to go there with the cost of 300s

Aug 8, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #1,296 of 2,672

Thanks, 
Hope to upgrade to Glenns amp or wa22, love to have wa5 but might be over my head
Glenns 300b is cheaper too, just don't know that i want to go there with the cost of 300s

The Glenn 300B amp makes a lot of sense to me (since I am having one made very soon I probably should say that
wink_face.gif
).

The PY500 rectifiers are cheap and readily available. The C3G drivers are wondrous tubes, but they are starting to get a little pricey. Nothing like the TS RP, of course, but I am glad I have stocked up on them over the past few months.

The only really pricey component is the 300B. I know it is a big investment, but I am going to go right out and say that the TA300B is stunningly good. Having heard this tube in my WA5 I have little interest in putting anything else in my Glenn 300B amp (perhaps ER300B, if Elrog can address the recent reliability issues). I will keep my SERPs as backup in case the unthinkable happens, otherwise it is TA300B all the way. I already have a factory new set ready for burn in as soon as the amp arrives.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #1,297 of 2,672
We422a improvement over my other favorites, the Mullard gz32, isn't as pronounced on the wa5 as much as on the wa22. I can live without we422a on the wa5 but not on the wa22. So in a way you can justify the wa5 (old) pricing by the fact that it sounded pretty good already with much cheaper rectifier (still need 2x). Sorry our discussion didn't work out, my wa5 could of be yours already since you're one of the first to offer.

It made a huge difference in my WA22 so I thought it might do the same in the WA5  (I thought the 300b would add to that as well).  The WE274b were really good too.  I wasn't sure about the WA5 b/c of the cost of the 300b.  I'm surprised the 422a can be comparable to the mullard gz32 because in the WA22 the 422a is to me dramatically better.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,298 of 2,672
On the WA5, we422a still have similar change going from gz32 compare to wa22, the sound stage opens up, increased in clarity, but just not as drastic on the wa5. Maybe because of the driver that I used (cg3), not sure.

Aug 9, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #1,299 of 2,672
On the WA5, we422a still have similar change going from gz32 compare to wa22, the sound stage opens up, increased in clarity, but just not as drastic on the wa5. Maybe because of the driver that I used (cg3), not sure.

I'm so impressed by these rectifiers that I would recommend others who have the budget to just jump ahead first to the WE 422a or 274b and then go back to try other ones.  Counter intuitively, I think it would have saved me more money.  I had a Cavalli LAu/Abyss and I think after a certain price point there are diminishing returns as just about everyone has noted. I don't suppose any more different than moving up the line of bmw etc. 

So for me the wa22 with 422a; 421 power tubes; tsrp 6f8g and hd800 with endorphin cable and lcd3f with alo cable I am already at end game territory.   I was thinking about going up the line to wa5 or eddie current etc just more out of curiosity than anything else and the fact that some amps can power speakers- which saves space and more convenient.

Anyone else reach a point where they are at end game territory but are considering upgrading purely out of curiosity because there are no audio amp stores around?  I know there are hi-fi meet ups kind of speed dating equipment as is the status quo of this industry/hobby but if there were a store where you could go and quietly take a listen for an hour you could easily pick out your favorite.

Aug 13, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #1,301 of 2,672
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREMELY-RARE-NOS-NIB-BENDIX-MU-TYPE-596-USA-24289-RECTIFIER-TUBE-MINT-COND-/301709386900?hash=item463f47e494&autorefresh=true

Anyone know about these?

The internal structure at a causual glance looks identical to the 596 I have and the pair I recently sold.

$700 is a ridiculous eye gouging price to charge for this tube.

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,303 of 2,672
Ill check my other pair at home tonight. On close inspection they have slightly different conductors connecting the plates to the pins. And the material used to create the support structure is dull rather than copper coloured. But the plates look identical down to the number of holes in the plates, plate colour and base colour. The other difference is the M logo on the bottle none of mine had that.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,305 of 2,672

The internal structure at a causual glance looks identical to the 596 I have and the pair I recently sold.

$700 is a ridiculous eye gouging price to charge for this tube.

Or you can get a pair for $950:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MATCHED-PAIR-JAN-596-24289-NOS-TEXTED-GREAT-BENDIX-MU-RECTIFIER-TUBES-/400974943914?hash=item5d5bf816aa

The seller is clearly smoking some Snoop Dogg-approved weed if he thinks he's getting 1/2 of this price. However we'll probably be stuck with seeing this listing in eBay results for 2+ years until he accepts reality. Isn't there any ongoing charge for maintaining listings? There are a couple Italian/Taiwanese tube sellers who've had listings up at completely unreasonable prices for at least a year now (anyone who searches for Woo-compatible tube knows the sellers I'm talking about). I'd have assumed that even if they were unable to voluntarily accept the fact that their pricing sucks, some type of ongoing charge would force the realization into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back