Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Dec 29, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #826 of 2,672
He did say that mine have already shipped, so I think that everyone who bought them before Christmas should be getting theirs soon. I unfortunately won't be home for 2 weeks to listen to them :frowning2: I will have to live vicariously off of what will surely be long, detailed, thrillers of exposition that the rest of you will post.

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #827 of 2,672
I ordered 4 5Z4G yesterday from Langrex. they arrived today. (I live about 50 miles from their warehouse) 
biggrin.gif

All were in a carton and cardboard packaging, 3 were black base marked 5Z4G and 1 was a brown base marked 5Z4GY. Internal construction looks identical in both types.

I only have 100 hours on the psvane replica 274B, this is a great sounding tube already, but if these are better for 13 quid that will be a lesson learnt!

From the little Ive put on the WE 422A so far, its a magical sounding tube, im not great with audio lingo. However the 422A had the edge over the psvane replica 274B to my ears, both have great PRaT but the 422 just has a silkiness and liquidity to it that looses you in the music. The psvane replica 274B is a fantastic tube though, far better (to my ears) than anything I had used before in my WA5 (EL Mesh 5U4G, Mullard Black 5AR4, Tungsol 5U4G, 596, Sophia mesh 274B - that said it would of been more fair to give the 596 more burn in)

Dec 30, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #828 of 2,672
Dec 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #830 of 2,672
There is some info here on that subject, though I would take it into consideration that they are selling tube matching. From what Ive read tube matching is important with push pull designs and with dual mono, I dont think the WA5 is either.

http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/virofpowtubm.html
http://www.amp-fix.com/biasing.htm

this also maybe relevant

http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/14370

You could ask Langrex if they offer that service if you want the peace of mind?

HTH

Dec 30, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #831 of 2,672
  I ordered 4 5Z4G yesterday from Langrex. they arrived today. (I live about 50 miles from their warehouse) 
biggrin.gif

All were in a carton and cardboard packaging, 3 were black base marked 5Z4G and 1 was a brown base marked 5Z4GY. Internal construction looks identical in both types.

I only have 100 hours on the psvane replica 274B, this is a great sounding tube already, but if these are better for 13 quid that will be a lesson learnt!

From the little Ive put on the WE 422A so far, its a magical sounding tube, im not great with audio lingo. However the 422A had the edge over the psvane replica 274B to my ears, both have great PRaT but the 422 just has a silkiness and liquidity to it that looses you in the music. The psvane replica 274B is a fantastic tube though, far better (to my ears) than anything I had used before in my WA5 (EL Mesh 5U4G, Mullard Black 5AR4, Tungsol 5U4G, 596, Sophia mesh 274B - that said it would of been more fair to give the 596 more burn in)

Please share your thoughts on the WE422A vs Brimar 5Z4G vs Psvane WE274B replica when ready.

I found the Brimar doesn't require a marathon burn in like the Psvane - I can't notice any changes after 80 hours or so.

To my ears the Brimar beats the Psvane in just about everything. Bass is a real standout with the Brimar. Deeper and sharper definition than the Psvane (which had deep bass already, but could get a little muddy). Highs and mids are also excellent - a touch smoother than the Psvane. The Brimar is a bargain tube. Fantastic bang for the buck.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #833 of 2,672
The Brimar is a bargain tube. Fantastic bang for the buck.

After 2 hours of enjoying some Tina Turner and Yelo last night with the Brimar 5Z4G in, I agree with this statement.

These tubes are a no brainer to try at 13 quid a pop.

As for the comparison, I have some more time on the Psvane and some more listening to do but right now if I was to list in order of perceived preference.

WE422
Brimar 5Z4G and U52
Psvane replica
Mullard 5AR4 black base
EL 5U4G mesh
Sophia  274B mesh
TS 5U4G

But many on that list need more burn in. My 300B are always Takatsuki and 6SN7 are the brown base Brimar (square getter)

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #834 of 2,672
Today I received my 5Z4G BRIMAR black base. At the moment I am burnig in...Maybe in the evening I will have the first listennig session..I am looking forward..
smily_headphones1.gif

Here some pics...the Brimar is smaller then the Replica..:

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #835 of 2,672
Hello all,

Just purchased the WA6-SE.  Can you use this Brimar tube with this amp?  What do the letters mean after the 5Z4?

Quote:
  I am just ordered the Brimare 5Z4GY direct in the shop from Langrex.
I am interested how this tube sounds compared to the replica.

For everyone ordered also I think Langrex at the moment closed for holiday/vacation. I found a notice on ebay website from langrex (ebay name yitry), they will be back on 5th January. I think the orders will be delayed a little bit may be not. Maybe only for the ebay items?

I ordered one time before and it was very good communication and very fast shipment. I can recommend this shop.

I also ordered a Mullard GZ30, now I am looking forward for some tube rolling....
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #836 of 2,672
Yes, you can use the Brimar. Apparently the 5Z4G and the 5Z4GY were manufactured identically, and both will go into the WA6 and the SE variant. The G and GY mean something, I'm not sure what, but you can look up the standards for what those letters mean.

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #837 of 2,672
G means glass, the 5Z4 was a metal bottle tube. No idea about the Y, all I could find was a post stating its a military version. But the tube box I have here have a military code, CV1863, regardless of if its a 5Z4G or 5Z4GY.

http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0079.htm

Jan 2, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #838 of 2,672
Dennis Had is the founder of Cary Audio (he sold the company and is now semi-retired and making tube amps now for fun).  I sent an email to Dennis asking him whether I could use the 5Z4G in my Dennis Had IHA-1 Dragon Inspire tube amp.  His reply:

"Blake:

Greetings from Cary, North Carolina.  Nice to hear from you today.  You certainly may use the Brimar 5Z4GY rectifier in the mighty IHA-1 Dragon style "can-amp".  You'll find this of interest ... I purchased 144 of the British 5Z4GY tubes back in 1990 from Richardson Electronics.  I used them in the early Cary SLA-70 stereo 70 watt amplifiers.  Oh, I used some in the 300SE mono's as well.  Very nice presentation indeed."

My 5Z4G has not yet arrived but I look forward to comparing it to my Brimar U52.

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #840 of 2,672
Hey Guys,

Back from 9 days camping holiday. Damn it was great. The best ever. Not one drop of rain.

Anyhow. I decided to kick the tube amp back into action and to give the Brimar another burn. :wink:

Usually I go for the female artists with high treble as to my ears it is the hardest to get right.

Then I thought ***** that. Let's go for deep male voices. Kicking back to some Pearl Jam right now. Deep gorgeous bass. Eddy sounds amazing. So the Brimar does a great job of this kind of music as well.

Hope you guys had a great Christmas and New Year.

The weather in New Zealand is just wonderful right now and I still have a few weeks holiday to go. ROCK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back