Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Dec 24, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #796 of 2,672
Right onto a pair of these, better than the Psvanes in the bass, count me in !

Good write up, thanks 

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #797 of 2,672
Just bought 4 of these, Tony in your photos you are using a white base is that an adapter?

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #798 of 2,672
  Right onto a pair of these, better than the Psvanes in the bass, count me in !

Good write up, thanks 

As the Psvanes were a jump upwards from the Mullard GZ32 (a fine tube) these are a leap upwards again from the Psvanes.

I am thinking these tubes must be into the elite top tier (or damn close to it). It does spectacular things to my WA6 - I can only imagine what they will do to my WA5 (or a WA234). Combine these with the ER300Bs and I think I might explode:

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #800 of 2,672
Awesome. Don't think mines have shipped yet but hopefully soon!

Quote:

As the Psvanes were a jump upwards from the Mullard GZ32 (a fine tube) these are a leap upwards again from the Psvanes.

I am thinking these tubes must be into the elite top tier (or damn close to it). It does spectacular things to my WA6 - I can only imagine what they will do to my WA5 (or a WA234). Combine these with the ER300Bs and I think I might explode:

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #801 of 2,672

Lol, totally, just thinking same thing myself

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #802 of 2,672
I swapped out the fresh T2s with a well used pair from my TRV amp. 90% of the harshness has gone, and all the good stuff remains.

This is the best bass I have ever heard from a tube amp. This is from a WA6+HD600 rig, and this rectifier is allowing it to deliver better bass than my WA5+modded HE6 combo. Put on some rock and you get "punch me in the groin" bass. It's there when it should be. Powerful, deep and controlled. Rivals my solid state Taurus Mk2 + LCD-X, which does superb bass.

This rectifier only has about 20 hours on it, and it already kills the Psvane replica in bass, and is very, very good elsewhere. That just shouldn't be. No tube should be this good at 20 hours. It's just not right. Unnatural. Wrong. Like getting wood when kissing your sister. But it IS that good at 20 hours.

Male and female vocals are rendered wonderfully. I spent the past hour listening to Elvis / Loreena McKennit / Edith Piaf / Dusty Springfield / Norah Jones / Roberta Flack - even if you don't like my taste in music, I would hope that folks would agree that these are some very fine vocalists indeed - the Brimar rendered them all wonderfully. Engaging, haunting, enchanting... all those words that spill out of a 6 moons review like crap from a cow - they all apply here.

I was joking the first time I suggesting selling a body part and/or child to pay for these tubes. Now I'm not sure I should be joking, but the good news is that they are not priced in the silly zone in the first place. So take that kidney and/or son/daughter off Ebay for now (just keep them handy in case you ever want some vintage WE300Bs).

These are wonderfully good tubes. Top tier performance for ordinary pricing. So cough up your shekels, people, and buy some. You won't regret it.

Review of the year.

I just did a Buddy Guy listening session. Wow what bass. Blew my head off. Sounded clean and clear but forcefull. It put me in the studio.

You think it has transformed your WA6. Well imagine my WA22. It has taken off.

You guys are going to have fun with your WA5's and above.

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #803 of 2,672

I swapped out the fresh T2s with a well used pair from my TRV amp. 90% of the harshness has gone, and all the good stuff remains.

This is the best bass I have ever heard from a tube amp. This is from a WA6+HD600 rig, and this rectifier is allowing it to deliver better bass than my WA5+modded HE6 combo. Put on some rock and you get "punch me in the groin" bass. It's there when it should be. Powerful, deep and controlled. Rivals my solid state Taurus Mk2 + LCD-X, which does superb bass.

This rectifier only has about 20 hours on it, and it already kills the Psvane replica in bass, and is very, very good elsewhere. That just shouldn't be. No tube should be this good at 20 hours. It's just not right. Unnatural. Wrong. Like getting wood when kissing your sister. But it IS that good at 20 hours.

Male and female vocals are rendered wonderfully. I spent the past hour listening to Elvis / Loreena McKennit / Edith Piaf / Dusty Springfield / Norah Jones / Roberta Flack - even if you don't like my taste in music, I would hope that folks would agree that these are some very fine vocalists indeed - the Brimar rendered them all wonderfully. Engaging, haunting, enchanting... all those words that spill out of a 6 moons review like crap from a cow - they all apply here.

I was joking the first time I suggesting selling a body part and/or child to pay for these tubes. Now I'm not sure I should be joking, but the good news is that they are not priced in the silly zone in the first place. So take that kidney and/or son/daughter off Ebay for now (just keep them handy in case you ever want some vintage WE300Bs).

These are wonderfully good tubes. Top tier performance for ordinary pricing. So cough up your shekels, people, and buy some. You won't regret it.

Review of the year.

I just did a Buddy Guy listening session. Wow what bass. Blew my head off. Sounded clean and clear but forcefull. It put me in the studio.

You think it has transformed your WA6. Well imagine my WA22. It has taken off.

You guys are going to have fun with your WA5's and above.

What tube are we talking about here....I may see if it will work in the 2359 glenn otl that i will be getting

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #804 of 2,672
What tube are we talking about here....I may see if it will work in the 2359 glenn otl that i will be getting

We are talking about a fantastic new rectifier that we have discovered. The Brimar 5Z4GY.

Getting top results.

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #806 of 2,672
We are talking about a fantastic new rectifier that we have discovered. The Brimar 5Z4GY.

Getting top results.

The Brimar 5Z4GY has been a favorite of mine for years! I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as me.

Year 11/27/2009: http://www.head-fi.org/t/456533/eml-5u4g-mesh-plate-vs-nos-tubes-vs-sophia-princess-274b-mesh-plate-wa22/30#post_6189613

Year 5/27/2011: http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/10335#post_7500514

Year 1/7/2013: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593623/decware-appreciation-thread-mt-review-up-on-first-page-2-10-12/765#post_9032181

Year 7/13/2013: http://www.head-fi.org/t/600110/2359glenn-studio/3735#post_9613647

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #807 of 2,672

LOL, We discovered something you have already known. Isn't it good to know that you arn't the only one to like?

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #808 of 2,672
LOL, We discovered something you have already known. Isn't it good to know that you arn't the only one to like?

Yes! I kept recommending it but most members in the other threads were focusing on the big ones like the 5U4, etc. I sent one to Ultrainferno last year and it blew up in his GlennAmp OTL. I actually like the way it looked first, and was surprised by how great it sounds in my Woo Amps. I also like the GZ33 and GZ37--it has a slightly warmer sound to my ear.

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #809 of 2,672
Yes! I kept recommending it but most members in the other threads were focusing on the big ones like the 5U4, etc. I sent one to Ultrainferno last year and it blew up in his GlennAmp OTL. I actually like the way it looked first, and was surprised by how great it sounds in my Woo Amps. I also like the GZ33 and GZ37--it has a slightly warmer sound to my ear.

I actually like the cute small tubes instead of Giant tubes, the Mullard GZ32 is a cute looking tube also. The Brimar is a good looking tube. Especially your one with the brown base. I like the bullet holes also. Kinda reminds me of the Western Electric or the Tung-Sol 5998 power tube.

I'm also using in the WA22. It has lifted its game another level. I wonder if it blew in the GlennAmp because of a different electrical draw? I have noticed it has a very bright light / glow and wonder if it is using more juice?

The other tubes you have listed. GZ33 and GZ37. Are they both Brimar?

Dec 24, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #810 of 2,672
I actually like the cute small tubes instead of Giant tubes, the Mullard GZ32 is a cute looking tube also. The Brimar is a good looking tube. Especially your one with the brown base. I like the bullet holes also. Kinda reminds me of the Western Electric or the Tung-Sol 5998 power tube.

I'm also using in the WA22. It has lifted its game another level. I wonder if it blew in the GlennAmp because of a different electrical draw? I have noticed it has a very bright light / glow and wonder if it is using more juice?

The other tubes you have listed. GZ33 and GZ37. Are they both Brimar?

The GZ33 and GZ37 are Mullard tubes from the 1940s or 1950s.

I think you've seen this video before but just in case you haven't here's the link. I find it utterly fascinating: Mullard - The Blackburn Vacuum Tubes Factory (Full)

Here's a Google map of the Blackburn Factory now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back