Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Dec 5, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #706 of 2,672
these comments really make me wanna try a pair of the psvanes, i havent really rolled anything on my WA5. i have a feeling that they wont touch the we422a though, that tube is just too good.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #707 of 2,672
... but have the Psvane replica 2A3's in my amp and really like them...
Randy

Hi Randy, I was running the Psvane WR2A3s as the driver for my WE845s in the TRV-845SE - great tube - just swapped those out for the Psvane WE275. It's a sweeter, warmer sound. Difference is subtle, but noticeable. This helps offset the slight edginess in the T2 CV181s - really, really nice sound. If you are looking to sweeten your sound a touch I can highly recommend the WE275s.

(Apologies for going off topic there).

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #708 of 2,672
these comments really make me wanna try a pair of the psvanes, i havent really rolled anything on my WA5. i have a feeling that they wont touch the we422a though, that tube is just too good.

You're very probably right - I just hope they can get close to that lofty level. How close is the unanswered question I am dying to know the answer to.

If they can get within touching distance, then they are an absolute bargain at around $220 USD a piece.

What I do know is that they leave the Mullard GZ32 gasping in the dust - and the GZ32 is a good tube. They have also transformed my WA5 - it now has great bass. Prior to the replicas I had struggled to get decent bass out of my WA5 - comparing it to my Taurus + LCD-X combo made it obvious how lacking it was. Not anymore. The replicas have improved just about everything else as well, but the bass stands out immediately as a massive improvement.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #709 of 2,672
Hmm, very hard to pick between them, different sound, tonally the Psvanes are darker so they trick me into thinking they have more bass but actually I think they are a little bloated, this carries through to everything else as it affects the whole performance, kind of like the difference between RCA’s & TS 6SN7’s. The Mullards are faster, immediate and refined. Psvanes sound a touch veiled in comparison but great visceral bass. Both are really good depends on your mood. The Psvanes have 300+ hours on them.

The Mullards probably need a little more time to see if they get warmer tonally, they are already very sweet sounding.

I think Dubstep Girl's description of the Mullard's is spot on.

I have landed in a sweet spot with the TS 6SN7's SERP 300B's and the Mullard's or the Psvane's.

Looking forward to trying the Takatsuki 274B's

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #710 of 2,672

The WA5 with the right tubes is an amazing piece of kit. The Psvane rectifiers take it to the next level for me - and let it have some BASS.

I agree with this 101% If you look at reviews on the web of the WA5 it never seems the WA5 rises to the top, beaten by the ECBA for cans, or as a speaker amp laking in dynamics. But with the right tube compliment it really shines. The issue is, the tube compliment outprices the amplifier and for many the ability for an amplifier to function with common NOS or cheaper new production tubes is paramount to selling units.

Crossing my fingers on the Psvanes, (242h to go)

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #711 of 2,672

My wallet isnt looking forward to your test!
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #712 of 2,672
So is it the PSvane 274b that gives it the extra bass or is it the whole tube combo? 

Would the PSvane 274b still add bass with EML 300b?

Dec 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #714 of 2,672
  Hmm, very hard to pick between them, different sound, tonally the Psvanes are darker so they trick me into thinking they have more bass but actually I think they are a little bloated, this carries through to everything else as it affects the whole performance, kind of like the difference between RCA’s & TS 6SN7’s. The Mullards are faster, immediate and refined. Psvanes sound a touch veiled in comparison but great visceral bass. Both are really good depends on your mood. The Psvanes have 300+ hours on them.

The Mullards probably need a little more time to see if they get warmer tonally, they are already very sweet sounding.

I think Dubstep Girl's description of the Mullard's is spot on.

I have landed in a sweet spot with the TS 6SN7's SERP 300B's and the Mullard's or the Psvane's.

Thank you for posting a detailed comparison. I'll settle for the replicas being competitive with (or close to) the GZ34 metal base any day
wink_face.gif

That still puts them into top tier rectifier company, at a fraction of the cost, which is as much as I could hope for.

EDIT - I just did some research on the pricing for Mullard/Phillips GZ34 metal base rectifiers on the web. Wow - around $500 per tube seems pretty common.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #715 of 2,672
At 24h burn in now and Im somewhat perplexed.

Over the weekend I found myself listening to and enjoying these tubes on my humble PS1000. The tubes no longer sound harsh or grating and have taken on a very natural effortless sound, if I were to describe them as a comparison, they take some of the best parts of the 596 - great bass impact and add the liquidity and euphoric vocals of the Mullard plastic base GZ34

Not at all difficult to listen to. If they get better still over the next 200h then I#m in for a treat.

Got the WE 422A too now, need to find some time to have a listen there too!

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #716 of 2,672
  At 24h burn in now and Im somewhat perplexed.

Over the weekend I found myself listening to and enjoying these tubes on my humble PS1000. The tubes no longer sound harsh or grating and have taken on a very natural effortless sound, if I were to describe them as a comparison, they take some of the best parts of the 596 - great bass impact and add the liquidity and euphoric vocals of the Mullard plastic base GZ34

Not at all difficult to listen to. If they get better still over the next 200h then I#m in for a treat.

Got the WE 422A too now, need to find some time to have a listen there too!

This is so weird. Mine were harsh and nasty for the first 200 hours solid - I nearly gave up on them as a bad gamble - yet others are finding nice things early on
confused_face(1).gif

Might be a difference in batches of tubes, or our gear, or our ears. I used my WA6 for the initial long break in - kept the volume quite low and it was a very gentle process - maybe that has something to do with my experience with them, perhaps? Not sure.

Anyway, the important thing is how the tubes are performing for you - and that seems to be good so far. I'll be extremely keen to hear your impressions of the replica vs the WE422A when you have had a chance to break them both in. If the replica can get anywhere close to the king of rectifiers I would be thrilled
wink_face.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #717 of 2,672

This is so weird. Mine were harsh and nasty for the first 200 hours solid - I nearly gave up on them as a bad gamble - yet others are finding nice things early on
confused_face(1).gif

Might be a difference in batches of tubes, or our gear, or our ears. I used my WA6 for the initial long break in - kept the volume quite low and it was a very gentle process - maybe that has something to do with my experience with them, perhaps? Not sure.

Anyway, the important thing is how the tubes are performing for you - and that seems to be good so far. I'll be extremely keen to hear your impressions of the replica vs the WE422A when you have had a chance to break them both in. If the replica can get anywhere close to the king of rectifiers I would be thrilled
wink_face.gif

I'm glad you didn't give up as they are a solid recommendation, thank-you! The WE422A is on the side waiting for a try, but the Psvane are keeping my toes taping for the time being.

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #718 of 2,672
I haven't received my unit but I'm tempted to buy the psvanes 274b. I did go for the cheaper upgrade for RCA 274bs. Been reading good comments regarding the value for their price. I should be looking for a 300b upgrade now but I keep reading this thread.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #719 of 2,672
Tony, when you post your comparison of the 300B's, please give us a heads up in this thread--I don't want to miss your assessment. I'm running the SERP's in my Manley preamp, but have the Psvane replica 2A3's in my amp and really like them. I'm anxious to read how the SERP vs Psvane replica turns out. I'd love to try a pair of Takasuki (think I spelled that right), but the cost has made me wait.

Sorry, back to the great discussion of the rectifiers!

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Randy - link below to the comparison between the SERPs and Psvane WE300B replicas (from the Woo amp thread).

Link

Follow up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back