Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Apr 11, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,051 of 2,672
I think both tubes are good enough it is more about which sound signature you prefer.  I think I just prefer the 596 generally but I use Brimar for bass slam rock as some would for edm.  Brimar is good for price but I would not buy if it were as much as says mullard 5ar4 are going these days.  I would not pay more than what they are being sold for now at Langrex.  Brimar would be really good if it just imaged a little better I think.

I think the real deal at langrex is the mullard 6080.

I have the Langrex Mullard 6080. Unfortunately I have noise issues. One tube will just not go quiet with burn in. It seems to do a lot very nice and not a lot wrong. I just disreguard because I of noise.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,052 of 2,672

If you could use a percentage on how much better you think the 596's are compared  the Brimar 5Z4GY how much would it be .

I think both tubes are good enough it is more about which sound signature you prefer.  I think I just prefer the 596 generally but I use Brimar for bass slam rock as some would for edm.  Brimar is good for price but I would not buy if it were as much as says mullard 5ar4 are going these days.  I would not pay more than what they are being sold for now at Langrex.  Brimar would be really good if it just imaged a little better I think.

I think the real deal at langrex is the mullard 6080.

Well is imaging just a little better worth paying 5 or 6 times more for a tube or is it more for bragging writes people pay crazy money for these ?

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #1,053 of 2,672
That's the problem with a lot of the high tier tubes now, you have to be creative to justify their cost over the Brimar. I would love to get ahold of one of the end tier rectifiers, but the astronomical pricing kills me.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #1,054 of 2,672
  Well is imaging just a little better worth paying 5 or 6 times more for a tube or is it more for bragging writes people pay crazy money for these ?

For me, the u52 and metal gz34 are really good.  Especially the latter.  I have not heard the 422a.  But I agree with dubstep girl on her impressions I wrote in an earlier post especially that the metal gz34 is holographic.  So I'm sure I'll agree with her about the 422a.  So want to try one.

Depends on budget. If you ask someone with a Ferarri is it good? Then ask is it worth the price?  The latter depends on anyone's budget.  But the first question is like saying is it as good as they say it is? And I say for me -metal gz34- yes.  At say $300 or less (for me).  Yes.

596 + adapter for $150. Mmmm...Ok. But at $100-120 sure.  The Brimar 5z4 at $30 shipped.  Sure.  Since tube rolling is about getting different sounds so...

But after having tried all these tubes and if I were forced to sell some off: I'd just keep the u52 and metal gz34.

Apr 12, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,055 of 2,672
thanks for the feedback on the 596's guys 
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,058 of 2,672

If you could use a percentage on how much better you think the 596's are compared  the Brimar 5Z4GY how much would it be .

To my ears that sentence is the wrong way around 
tongue_smile.gif
 but you didn't ask me so ill say no more!

Personnally i wouldnt expect the 596 to blow me away if i compared it to the other tubes but what's your take on it .

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #1,059 of 2,672

To my ears that sentence is the wrong way around 
tongue_smile.gif
 but you didn't ask me so ill say no more!

It's kind of hard to argue against the value proposition of the Brimar. Top tier performance for bargain-basement pricing.

I'll take a big sack of that any day
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 13, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,061 of 2,672
  Personnally i wouldnt expect the 596 to blow me away if i compared it to the other tubes but what's your take on it .

The 596 will at the very least, take your tube rolling experience to another level, it may blow you away - everyone on these boards loves it except me it would seem!

I find the tube, forward, clinical and unbearable to listen to for more than 10 minutes. It does have however the most amazing bass weight.

I did roll it with speakers and headphones on the WA5, but I do have another combo to try shortly (With seimens c3g adapters)

Technically its an amazing tube and will last a lifetime, you'll need adapters for this rectifier too.

If you have the Brimar 5z4g you are doing well, of all the tubes Ive heard and to my ears only the u52 and we 422a are the next level up.

YMMV

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #1,062 of 2,672
Dubstep Girl,
3 weeks ago I received my Woo Audio WA6 and based on your thread I purchased 2 RCA 5U4G (ribbed plates), great tubes. Also I was wondering if you had any experience with a Bendix 6106.Thank you.

never tried the bendix sorry , glad ur enjoying the rcas tho!

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #1,063 of 2,672
The 596 will at the very least, take your tube rolling experience to another level, it may blow you away - everyone on these boards loves it except me it would seem!

I find the tube, forward, clinical and unbearable to listen to for more than 10 minutes. It does have however the most amazing bass weight.

I did roll it with speakers and headphones on the WA5, but I do have another combo to try shortly (With seimens c3g adapters)

Technically its an amazing tube and will last a lifetime, you'll need adapters for this rectifier too.

If you have the Brimar 5z4g you are doing well, of all the tubes Ive heard and to my ears only the u52 and we 422a are the next level up.

YMMV

the 596 is a great tube, i have found that it can be picky to pair well with,other tubes, sometimes having a little too much of that forwardness or the bass changing quite a bit, but ive also heard the 596 on amps like the glenn otl where it sounded great, it also sounds pretty sweet on wa22 if i remember correctly, they work alright on wa5 but i can see myself upgrading when i get bored of em, great tube and all, love it, but it does lack the "wow" factor that the u52 or we422 have, just not there yet lol

Apr 19, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #1,065 of 2,672
Mine are GEC and have a great euphoric sound to them without any veil or roll-off, the pins are quite thin on mine however, thinner than the pins on the other 5U4 types Ive used in the Woo. Since I do so much rolling now I use a pair of Glenn's socket savers for rectifiers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back