Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Jan 7, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #872 of 2,667

Things only get better with decent 300Bs. The stock tubes are a concentrated ball of suck.

Battling between getting something decent at 300$, or going for the knockout punch and trying out the top tier tubes.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #873 of 2,667

Things only get better with decent 300Bs. The stock tubes are a concentrated ball of suck.

Yep, only useful for burning in an amp.

Battling between getting something decent at 300$, or going for the knockout punch and trying out the top tier tubes.

IMHO worth stretching to decent 300B's although as has been shown there is no need to spend as much for original WE's unless you're into collecting.

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #874 of 2,667

WA5 is an excellent tube platform - you get a lot of sonic payoff for better tubes. If your budget goes far enough for the top tier you won't be disappointed.

Only mid-range 300Bs I have are the Sophia Princess variety. OK tubes, and a step up from the puke stock tubes, but once I got hold of my first set of high end tubes they have been gathering dust ever since. Doubt they will ever get use again unless something awful happens.

If I were to go mid-range I would look at the Psvane T2s or Shuguang Natural Sound series - I have both of these in 845 tubes and they are very good performers for the money (around $400). The Psvane WE845 replica style beats them in most ways, but they are twice the price. Those are some seriously good 845s.

Link

Apologies for going a little OT here. Back to all things rectifying
smile.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #876 of 2,667
Thought I would try the Psvane Replica's with the Elrog's tonight.

Much better, they seem to work well with the Elrog's, more bass than the metal base GZ34 and more air, not quite as euphonic, however a good match and highly enjoyable.

The bigger glass seems to give more air. Bodes well for the Takatsuki 274B's

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #878 of 2,667

I am still using stock tubes in the WA5 at the moment. I listened to Sibelius - symphony no.1 and 2  last night, the sound was incredible and I can only imagine what upgraded tubes will do.  

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #880 of 2,667
Got 2 5Z4GY brown base today from Langrex as I received only 1 of these last time, another overnight postal arrival. Awesome :)

Im not expecting to hear a diference, but Ill try the brown base tonight in the WA5.

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #881 of 2,667
  Got 2 5Z4GY brown base today from Langrex as I received only 1 of these last time, another overnight postal arrival. Awesome :)

Im not expecting to hear a diference, but Ill try the brown base tonight in the WA5.

Excellent news as I was wondering about any differences between them.  

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #882 of 2,667
The Brimars have turned up, now for some listening.

Jan 9, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #884 of 2,667
Got the Brimars today. First impressions in the WA6 are that this is a much quieter tube, in terms of background. There was a slight buzz in the tube it was replacing, when nothing was playing, though I thought it went away when any music started. I guess not, because this black background is just beautiful. Other than that, imaging/separation is much better. Better detail too. I'm not sure I'm hearing anything in terms of extension, but the driver tubes are so terrible that maybe I wouldn't be able to hear anything. I'll do some a/b listening with some better driver tubes once the 6F8G adapters get here.

I do have a Sophia, so maybe I should do a/b against that, though I pretty much already know what I'd find. I am interested though, in the soundstage difference. That's the one thing Sophia has going for it, a sense of air and presence that a wider soundstage gives.

As I keep listening, this lower noise floor is so significant that it will overshadow anything else. Listened to some modern romanticky folk, and Dvorak 9, everything is significantly clearer.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #885 of 2,667
Just ordered and paid for my first shipment of 6 Brimars. I will order another 6 next month.
I'm so confident of this tube that eventually I will have and stock 14 of them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back