Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison! (Rectifer Tube Rolling thread)
Mar 24, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,651 of 2,672
There appear to be two versions of the Brimar 5R4GY/CV717.

The one of the left is older, October, 1956, whereas, the one of the right is newer, probably from the 1960's or later, judging by the halo getters. To my old ears, they sound substantially the same. Has anyone else compared these?

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,652 of 2,672
Does the one on the right have the double mica with ceramic spacers? I've heard good things about that tube and picked up a couple recently (haven't arrived yet). One branded Ultron and the other branded Haltron. Both with the double halo getters. I'm thinking they could actually be made by Brimar. I'll let you know what they sound like when they arrive.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,653 of 2,672
Yes, it is the one with the double mica and ceramic spacers. And I am quite sure that both of these 5R4GY were manufactured by Brimar, but at different times. And again, to my ears they sound substantially the same. But my ears are old and not all that good, so I wonder if others also find them to sound about the same...

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #1,654 of 2,672
I have the same one on the left which sounds awesome sure would like to get my hands on the double mica tube guess I'll have to start looking for one..enjoy

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #1,655 of 2,672
If anyone is interested, I have a GEC U52 brown base and a Marconi U52 black base for sale.  The GEC was originally owned by @Dubstep Girl and is an excellent tube.  When I bought the Marconi, it had never been used.  It comes with the original box.  I have <10 hours on it.  The Marconi is considered by many experts to be the best of the U52 family.

PM me if you are a serious buyer.  Thanks.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,656 of 2,672
To the best of my knowledge, all U52 were manufactured in Hammersmith by the GEC / MO Valve Company. The label applied after the manufacturing process - GEC or Osram or Marconi - was more a function of marketing than anything else. That said, the Marconi label is often found on older tubes, and it may well be that older U52 sound different than newer ones. However, I do not know this to be true....

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,657 of 2,672
  To the best of my knowledge, all U52 were manufactured in Hammersmith by the GEC / MO Valve Company. The label applied after the manufacturing process - GEC or Osram or Marconi - was more a function of marketing than anything else. That said, the Marconi label is often found on older tubes, and it may well be that older U52 sound different than newer ones. However, I do not know this to be true....

GEC and Marconi were separate companies that were later merged.  The brands were made in different plants in different countries, and they have distinct sound qualities.  Their tubes were originally made for different end user markets.

That is all factual information, not conjecture.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #1,658 of 2,672
From the Wikipedia article on Marconi-Osram Valve:

"The company was founded in 1919, when the valve making interests of GEC (Osram) and the Marconi Company were combined."

This was a good 20 years before the U52 was developed and manufactured at Hammersmith.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #1,659 of 2,672
  From the Wikipedia article on Marconi-Osram Valve:

"The company was founded in 1919, when the valve making interests of GEC (Osram) and the Marconi Company were combined."

This was a good 20 years before the U52 was developed and manufactured at Hammersmith.

The tubes were made in different plants in different countries.  They have different sound signatures.  Talk to dealers, or listen to them yourself.  If your system is good enough, you will hear differences.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,660 of 2,672
The tubes were made in different plants in different countries.  They have different sound signatures.  Talk to dealers, or listen to them yourself.  If your system is good enough, you will hear differences.

If your U52s are true UK U52s, then they clearly were not made "in different plants in different countries". On the other hand, if your Marconi is a, say, Canadian-made tube, perhaps you should make this known.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #1,662 of 2,672
I stand corrected regarding the country of manufacture.  I got the Marconi out of storage and it is clearly marked as made in England.  My apologies to all.

That said, the tube have different sound signatures.  You can ascribe it to whatever reason you choose...I really don't care.  If your system is good enough, you will hear the difference.  If your system is not sufficiently transparent, the tubes may sound indistinguishable to you.

beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,663 of 2,672
  I stand corrected regarding the country of manufacture.  I got the Marconi out of storage and it is clearly marked as made in England.  My apologies to all.

That said, the tube have different sound signatures.  You can ascribe it to whatever reason you choose...I really don't care.  If your system is good enough, you will hear the difference.  If your system is not sufficiently transparent, the tubes may sound indistinguishable to you.

beerchug.gif

Again, how about some pictures?

It is certainly possible that this tube was manufactured by another British company and relabeled as a Marconi U52. This was common practice back in the day. With good pictures, the construction will reveal which company manufactured the tube and the approximate date of manufacture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back