Dual Denons: AH-D600 & D7100
Jul 7, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #46 of 56
Quote:
Do we have headfiers who actually have experienced the Hifiman HE-500 or LCD 2.2 compare their sound signatures to the D600?  I am trying to gauge some of the reviews I have read so far regarding the D600 in regards to it being warm and non-fatiguing.

I own the 500 and 2.2's, but like to have a closed can that has similar signature to the LCD2.2 without straining the already near empty wallet this hobby has taken me.  Into the early morning hours is when I listen after work and can wake the family up if using these other open cans.  Would you all agree that the D600 has deep sub-bass like the 2.2's or even more?  And without the searing high end like the HD800?

I don't find them fatiguing in any sense.  I wear them for long hours (the most I've worn them is for 6 hours).

Jul 7, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

It's easily seen in all the crud in the impulse response, and in the high THD. I heard it in everything. 

But I have to say I'm amazed at how often headphones get tweaked by makers, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that they've made some running changes.
I did measure these cans fairly early on in their production. 

Thanks for the response Tyll!

I have to admit, after reading your extremely comprehensive article on the changes Denon made between their original AH-Dx000 headphones and the 2012 versions, I kind of wondered if it was possible Denon did something similar and tweaked the D600 on the fly, since it initially received so many less-than glowing reviews. I've had the D600 for about two months now...I knew how poorly these measured on your charts, but I heard so much conflicting information that I took a chance on them anyway and surprisingly ended up liking them. It did require some very significant burn-in time. Right now I'm just running them through a Fiio E9k/E17 and I find they're a fun headphone for rock and metal.

Jul 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #48 of 56
It's easily seen in all the crud in the impulse response, and in the high THD. I heard it in everything. 

But I have to say I'm amazed at how often headphones get tweaked by makers, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that they've made some running changes.
I did measure these cans fairly early on in their production. 

Would not surprise me a bit. You have to figure after dropping the Fostex partnership that folks would be critical of them and they'd keep an ear to the ground. And who better to gauge satisfaction than you? I too read conflicting info on them and decided to hear for myself. Glad I did.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:
Do we have headfiers who actually have experienced the Hifiman HE-500 or LCD 2.2 compare their sound signatures to the D600?  I am trying to gauge some of the reviews I have read so far regarding the D600 in regards to it being warm and non-fatiguing.

I own the 500 and 2.2's, but like to have a closed can that has similar signature to the LCD2.2 without straining the already near empty wallet this hobby has taken me.  Into the early morning hours is when I listen after work and can wake the family up if using these other open cans.  Would you all agree that the D600 has deep sub-bass like the 2.2's or even more?  And without the searing high end like the HD800?

I have HE-500's and the D600.  Most of my listening time goes to my HE-500 and Senn HD600's but I really like the Denon set as well.  They are really different than the others, fuller bass, fun sound as described here.  It's really hard to compare them to the HE-500's as they sound so different.  I also have DT880's and they are nothing like those either.  Personally I would not like them over $300 and definitely not at $500.  Under $300 I think they are a good addition if you want a closed headphone that can be fun to listen to music on.  I would not pick them over my HD600's which can get for just over $300 if you shop around.  I picked my Denon's up on a sale at Best Buy where they were half off of retail with a Denon receiver purchase.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #50 of 56
I just got my D600s in today.  I'll say this about them:  they're unique.  I don't think I've ever heard a headphone that sounded very similar to them.  They have pretty strong bass, but are also highly detailed and have excellent clarity, which is pretty rare, IME.  I have a lot of acoustic-type music, and it's fun to hear the clarity of the string instruments and the glue of the lower notes holding the song together.  They're certainly large headphones; one notch of extension is definitely stretching it for me in terms of being too loose.  They're pretty comfortable, though.  My SoundMAGIC HP100s are more neutral, but I may keep these around, for movies and more fun music.  I don't regret the purchase.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #51 of 56
I finally purchased the D600 from someone here after sampling them a month or so back at an electronics store. Coming from the Shure 940, the D600s are 1000x more comfortable. I actually ended up returning the 940s as I couldn't wear them for more than 20 minutes without feeling pain in the pressure point at the top of my head. In comparison, I had the D600s on for 2 hours straight and I didn't want to take them off.

I do definitely sense that the D600's are colored, but I sense it more in the treble than in the bass. That is the one drawback to the sound quality on these- the coloring of the treble makes the highs sound a little artificial. It's like using a digital equalizer and having a 3-5db boost around 12-14 kHz always on. Sibilants can be a bit harsh because of that. However, the bass performance is ideal to me and you don't get the sense that the cans are bright because of that. I would think that a bass head would actually want more bass than these cans provide. Overall, it's a fairly easy frequency response to get used to and I'm happy to have them as "fun" comfortable cans but I could see why a serious head-fi enthusiast looking for a flat frequency curve would not like these.

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #53 of 56
I am very happy with my D600's.
They have really grown on me since i purchased them in may.
And the sound quality got a lot better after running them for 300+ hours.
Now i wonder if they will sound a lot different when i get my amp and later a better dac.

Jun 25, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #54 of 56
  I am very happy with my D600's.
They have really grown on me since i purchased them in may.
And the sound quality got a lot better after running them for 300+ hours.
Now i wonder if they will sound a lot different when i get my amp and later a better dac.

They need a little burn in for sure.  Same being said on the D7100.  I have a compatible amp & dac that I use for low impedance phones.  ODAC > Schiit Asgard.  Sounds damn good.  Works great on the D600 & D7100.  The D600 is going up for sale though.  D7100 sounds better to me. 

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #56 of 56
Old thread, but just had to leave my impressions

Saw a good deal for a mint condition once, wasn't too interested because I had the UE6000 at the time which I read seems to have similar sound sig.

But then after months past, I find a demo of the D600 on a retail store, it piques my interest, after lunch with my family, I put some eartime to them, put out my DAP, tune in my music...

The UE 6000 had nothing on this at all... Man it's actually very nice, the vocal is clear and doesn't feel recessed at all, which was what make me sold the UE, and disliking the DT770, bass is punchy and layered, it's been a while I heard this nice of a bass, last time was when I was demoing a Sony Z1R, and this Denon clearly makes me remember of that experience, yeah, the D600 actually, in tonality at least is very similar to the $1700+ Sony flagship, it's an instant buy for me at that night, finding the deal still available (a pity for the brand, but very lucky for me!) and waited for a couple days for it to arrive,

When it arrived, man it stole my MA900 and K702 from any eartime, I really am missing a good closed cans. I had to sold my M40x and my 2ndary phone, but it was well worth it.
I finally have a closed can that doesn't lose to my open :smile_phones:

Also, reading a couple threads of the D600-7100, man it has similar, polarizing track to the Z1R: unknown soind, sparse impressions, lover come out, haters bashing, Tyll review try to burn it to the ground, owners persist, etc etc drama to no end. Hahaha

Any of this model of Denon lover tho, I'd recommend trying out the Sony Flagship, may become your new end game Cans, that. :wink:

Also, please don't go to the Z1R thread and bash there Already got 2 thread closed (one 700+pages long) because of incessant arguments over that headphone. It's one of the most polarizing headphone there is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back