dt990 pro really that good?
Sep 21, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #31 of 56
Basing sound quality off price is the biggest mistake you can make.

AMEN! to that....

I find it interesting though the critical comments the 990 is getting on this thread is in relation to the bass it's usually the highs that I'm always hearing people whine about. I think the bass is a little heavy but alomst perfect. I understand what Mal is saying in that without an enclosure (as with a closed can) getting certain bass response is virtually impossible but I still love my 990s. To me in terms of bass quantity at any live concert you go to they amp up the bass so in reality more bass is more "natural" from that perspective.

Anyway, oh yea, and to the comments on the brightness.... my take is if you listen to a track with a mix that is mixed down with ear-piercing highs then yes the 990 is going to be ear peircing.... but that's the mixer's defect not the headphone now isn't it?

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #32 of 56
Quote:
Basing sound quality off price is the biggest mistake you can make.

Implying I wasn't pointing out that the pro is half the price from what I bought.

Anyway, oh yea, and to the comments on the brightness.... my take is if you listen to a track with a mix that is mixed down with ear-piercing highs then yes the 990 is going to be ear peircing.... but that's the mixer's defect not the headphone now isn't it?
I don't think a headphones attenuated emphasis on the bright side means it's the mixers fault.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #33 of 56
i dont know whose fault that is but i know my ears hurt after a while of listening lol
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #34 of 56
There exists no headphones that are the end all.  Most of us all have variety of cans to compliment eachother.  I just find my DT990s the perfect compliment to my HD650s.  Some times, I want more out of my music than the HD650s provide, and that is when I reach for the 990s.  And they are far better than their price would indicate.  For the sound signature they shoot for, DT990s are rivaled by few.  If you want a different sound than the DT990s provide, then get different cans.  But for a V sig pair of headphones, you will find few better than the DT990s, imho.

In addition, those who say DT990s don't have bass/sub-bass, I guarantee you are not amp'ing them properly, irrespective of how much your amp costs.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #35 of 56
Well, here's my input...

From my experience with the DT990 Pro, it's indeed the bassiest pair of cans in the $200 and lower range. Once properly amped, it will have so much clean, tight, pure body, tone, weighty, healthy, meaty... "bass" that it rivals speakers many times its size. The quantity of "bass" in the DT990 is simply astounding in my opinions.

Compared to the DT990 Premium 600 Ohm, the Pro version has more bass, less treble, and a more closed-off soundstage. So as mentioned, the Pros actually deserve to be considered a separate headphone. It's very different compared to the Premium.

Personally, I think the DT990 Pro is worth its current asking price if and only if you have the amp power to drive them. And you can easily spend more than twice the cost of the headphone for an amp that can drive it.

So the real cost of the DT990 Pro is actually higher than $169 if you plan on getting the most out of it. Otherwise, I think MalveauX mentioned some pretty substantial options in the same price range that don't need (much) amping to shine.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #36 of 56
@rushnerd (for some reason it won't quote your edited comment) The emphasis is not the point the point is that they point out the flaws in bad mixes. Listening to an album like eric clapton unplugged is just bliss to my ears on the 990 whereas the only time I can even see what whiners (reddragon) are saying is when I hit some song where the mix has eletronic high hat all tweaked up.... ouch....

I just feel like they point out the flaw which is a fairly common flaw especially in the late 80s early 90s.

(I am totally kidding with you reddragon :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

edit to fix typo

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #37 of 56
Well, here's my input...

From my experience with the DT990 Pro, it's indeed the bassiest pair of cans in the $200 and lower range. Once properly amped, it will have so much clean, tight, pure body, tone, weighty, healthy, meaty... "bass" that it rivals speakers many times its size. The quantity of "bass" in the DT990 is simply astounding in my opinions.

Compared to the DT990 Premium 600 Ohm, the Pro version has more bass, less treble, and a more closed-off soundstage. So as mentioned, the Pros actually deserve to be considered a separate headphone. It's very different compared to the Premium.

Personally, I think the DT990 Pro is worth its current asking price if and only if you have the amp power to drive them. And you can easily spend more than twice the cost of the headphone for an amp that can drive it.

So the real cost of the DT990 Pro is actually higher than $169 if you plan on getting the most out of it. Otherwise, I think MalveauX mentioned some pretty substantial options in the same price range that don't need (much) amping to shine.

This. Very this.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #38 of 56
wow so many mixed reviews, i think people are criticising the wrong headphones, ive got a feeling people with the premiums and not the pros are saying there not very good with bass, anyone with the dt990 pro are loving them.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #39 of 56
Quote:
This. Very this.

Thanks!

Quote:
wow so many mixed reviews, i think people are criticising the wrong headphones, ive got a feeling people with the premiums and not the pros are saying there not very good with bass, anyone with the dt990 pro are loving them.

I think the Premium's downside is that... they have way too much treble. Treble comes in waves, with substantial force, and with insane brightness. What I heard with the "bass" of the Pros is proportionately replicated in the Premium's "treble". It's not piercing. It's pure... brightness. Blindingly so.

In the Premium's defense, I can hear more "texture" in bass, and overall, it's the right amount of impact and power. Just... the treble is way too insane that it almost totally drowns everything out. ("almost totally"... oxymoron)

In contrast, the Pros' "bass" is so insane that it overpowers everything else. For EDM and gaming, I think it's perfect, or close to perfect. But for music with vocals, especially in Pop songs that have elevated bass, you won't hear anything but bass and pure bass.

So depending on their own choice of music, I think... almost everything that people have said about the DT990 line as a whole is accurate. Just that... the Pros and Premiums are different. :)

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #40 of 56

not here.. i have the premiums...

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #41 of 56
I didn't find the treble on the 32ohm DT990 Premium to be as screechy as the 600ohm. In fact I preferred the balance more than both the Pros and 600ohm. Its not as refined as the 600ohm, but its 95% there, and easier on the ears, IMHO.

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #42 of 56
I didn't find the treble on the 32ohm DT990 Premium to be as screechy as the 600ohm. In fact I preferred the balance more than both the Pros and 600ohm. Its not as refined as the 600ohm, but its 95% there, and easier on the ears, IMHO.

If that's the case, it could explain why I think people are crazy when they criticize the highs. But yea the 32 ohm premiums are absolutely dreamy IMHO.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #43 of 56
The highs are still DT990 highs, but they lack the ultimate air of the 600ohm, which tends to mask that screechiness in comparison. They lose some soundstage and pure clarity of the 600ohm, but I find them more versatile and enjoyable. The 600ohm might be more refined, but it doesn't hide its sizzle at all.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #44 of 56
The highs are still DT990 highs, but they lack the ultimate air of the 600ohm, which tends to mask that screechiness in comparison. They lose some soundstage and pure clarity of the 600ohm, but I find them more versatile and enjoyable. The 600ohm might be more refined, but it doesn't hide its sizzle at all.

For someone who is a 990 supporter you sure make them seem like they sound lik hell! lol :ear::imp::ear::imp::confounded::confounded:

naw but i understand what you are saying. I just feel like it really depends on the track and engineering on the mix.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

I'm willing to bet this is more due to the infamous Beyer manufacturing variances than strictly the 32 ohm v. versus the 600 ohm v.

I bought two identical 770 Premium 600 ohms and the bass and treble on them were completely different. One was very bassy with little sibilance, the other had not nearly as much bass and was pretty crazily sibilant. I kept the bass heavy version and I love it (can't stand sibilance and I needed a good basshead can for electronic music).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back