DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #796 of 1,091
I have to say - comfort on DT990 is simply superb.

Between the headpad and the earpads, these things are pretty much a perfect design in terms of comfort.

It's like nothing's even on your head.

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #798 of 1,091
I just got these (250 ohm version) on an insane deal from Amazon after hearing about them for many years.  I like "fun" headphones, and these are the epitome of fun. The build quality is top notch and the comfort, well, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (even more so than the Sony XB-700 pillows). I run them off of a Fiio E10K on high gain with volume around 7/10, and I just wonder if I'm not doing them justice.  Any suggestions as to an upgraded desktop amp/dac that also has a 3.5mm line out to power my Klipsch speakers?  Budget is tight, no more than $300.

Dec 1, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #799 of 1,091
Dec 2, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #800 of 1,091
  I just got these (250 ohm version) on an insane deal from Amazon after hearing about them for many years.  I like "fun" headphones, and these are the epitome of fun. The build quality is top notch and the comfort, well, they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn (even more so than the Sony XB-700 pillows). I run them off of a Fiio E10K on high gain with volume around 7/10, and I just wonder if I'm not doing them justice.  Any suggestions as to an upgraded desktop amp/dac that also has a 3.5mm line out to power my Klipsch speakers?  Budget is tight, no more than $300.

I ordered the DT990 Pro and the E10K at the same time. I returned the E10K because the amp didn't produce enough power for the headphones. The sound was clean and I think it's a nice dac for the money. I bought the Vali/Modi 2 combo instead and it's definitely an upgrade. However, I still think the soundstage and the treble could be improved. I might get the Val 2 down the road or some other headphones.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #801 of 1,091
I actually returned the Beyers because the E10K couldn't drive them sufficiently, whereas all of my other phones can be driven quite well.  I didn't really want to buy another amp just to suit the 990's, even though I loved their sound signature.  Hard to find a headphone that can bring the bass and also the high end sizzle, built the way these are and as comfortable; I know this unbalanced approach is far from audiophile, but it's what I like and I don't fight it any more. It made it extra hard to return them because of the cost: $125 from Amazon on a deal they had last week.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #802 of 1,091
Mine do pretty well with both my amps, the Oppo HA-2 and the Cayin C5. The C5 drives them to deafening levels and it sounds pretty good to me, though it adds a tad bit of warmth. The Oppo HA-2 is fantastic using my Android phone and the DT990s. 

That $150 sale on Amazon the other day was great - proud owner of a pair now :)

-Collin-

Dec 3, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #803 of 1,091
I got a DT990 Pro 250 ohm just over a year ago, and quickly became a favorite. They were my first Beyers and my first venture into open back headphones. After experiencing the expansive soundstage of open headphones, that's all I use now (aside from at work, where the open cans might not be well received by my cube neighbors). Build quality is really solid, and these are easily some of the most comfortable headphones I've used. I like these for just about any kind of music, and after having tried a few more open headphones, the bass on the DT990's really is noteworthy. It packs a decent punch (I'm not a bass-head; the M-100's are my "bassy" headphones) while maintaining very good clarity.

I find myself preferring tubes with these (Modi+Vali) most of the time, although they sound great with solid state amps too (Schiit stack, or more recently the m9XX).

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #804 of 1,091
I have my DT 990 since a bit about an year now. I mostly use them on my PC on my onboard sound(Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H -> ALC1150) and they sound good and are loud enough and everything but i'm still not sure if i'm getting all the performance out of them. I'm thinking about getting an FiiO E10k like recommended everywhere, but i also read that there won't be much difference to ALC1150. Does anyone have the same mainboard and can tell me if the E10k will improve my listening experience?

Dec 8, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #805 of 1,091
DT990pro is £92 Amazon.Co.UK with £10 discount code MUSICTEC10

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #806 of 1,091
"The DT990 has raised the 'bad' frequencies and it's very practical for studio mastering engineers because if your mix sounds good through these headphones, the mix will sound good through anything."

Does this statement have any validity? 

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #807 of 1,091
  "The DT990 has raised the 'bad' frequencies and it's very practical for studio mastering engineers because if your mix sounds good through these headphones, the mix will sound good through anything."

Does this statement have any validity? 

No, the treble would sound rolled-off on any headphones or speakers that don't have elevated treble.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #808 of 1,091
Just had to pop in to comment. Just upgraded from standalone M50s and on board sound to DT990 Pro/250ohms and an Audioengine D1. These sound ******* incredible. People kept saying they were too harsh, but they're really not. The high on these are so nice, the bass is tight, and the separation is just amazing. For a frame of reference, my main choice of music is death metal (melodic and progressive).

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #809 of 1,091
Just wanted to let you guys know that the all-black DT-990 PRO Limited Edition is now going for only $49.00 (with no tax and free shipping) on Amazon.com!  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

I had to get a pair at that price.  So get them while you can!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010IJ9W1U

Edit:  Uh oh.  It looks like the price was a mistake, and after posting this about 15 minutes ago, it has now been changed to $149.99.
mad.gif

Now let's see if Focus Camera will honor my $49 order or not.
redface.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #810 of 1,091
  Just wanted to let you guys know that the all-black DT-990 PRO Limited Edition is now going for only $49.00 (with no tax and free shipping) on Amazon.com!  
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

I had to get a pair at that price.  So get them while you can!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010IJ9W1U

Edit:  Uh oh.  It looks like the price was a mistake, and after posting this about 15 minutes ago, it has now been changed to $149.99.
mad.gif

Now let's see if Focus Camera will honor my $49 order or not.
redface.gif

I grabbed them for $49 as well on amazon, I am hoping my order will be honored as well. This will be the third time having the DT 990 Pros if they honor the order, honestly I am glad these don't have the coiled cable as it's the heavy coiled cable that ruined the originals for me as it caused comfort issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back