DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Oct 27, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #782 of 1,091
Fidelity is precisely what you need for critical listening. The less fidelity you have, the less information, detail and resolution you have in the audio to critically discern

Oct 28, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #783 of 1,091

Doesn't matter, I'll be at home...

Did you not like the music :frowning2:.

Not that I didn't like it, always interested to hear something new. But I am a late night listener, and this music is very energetic, more for a daytime 
smily_headphones1.gif

Having highest fidelity doesnt mean its the best or most practical for critical listening. 

Fidelity is precisely what you need for critical listening. The less fidelity you have, the less information, detail and resolution you have in the audio to critically discern

The question about fidelity is IMHO relative. It is always dependent which monitors/headphones were used in the studio. If the sound tech used bright headphones for mixing and mastering, you could end up with a dull sound at home, and vice versa. Have seen and heard a recording which was mastered in the studio on Audeze's LCD-3, which then sounded on home Beyers too bright. Also, you never know how much manipulating of the original sound was applied in the mastering process. Therefore the term "fidelity" is always relative to the sound the producer had in his mind - and his headphones. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #784 of 1,091

Doesn't matter, I'll be at home...

Did you not like the music :frowning2:.

Not that I didn't like it, always interested to hear something new. But I am a late night listener, and this music is very energetic, more for a daytime 
smily_headphones1.gif

Having highest fidelity doesnt mean its the best or most practical for critical listening. 

The question about fidelity is IMHO relative. It is always dependent which monitors/headphones were used in the studio. If the sound tech used bright headphones for mixing and mastering, you could end up with a dull sound at home, and vice versa. Have seen and heard a recording which was mastered in the studio on Audeze's LCD-3, which then sounded on home Beyers too bright. Also, you never know how much manipulating of the original sound was applied in the mastering process. Therefore the term "fidelity" is always relative to the sound the producer had in his mind - and his headphones. 

It sounds like you are discussing the fidelity of the actual recording being relative to the gear.  The gear itself doesn't change its fidelity, so will sound different when the recording attributes are different but the response and resolve of the gear remains constant.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #785 of 1,091
The DT990LE is £102 on Amazon.Co.UK. although it was only £98 yesterday!

Limited to 500 so be quick.

Nov 1, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #786 of 1,091
Love the DT990, so energetic and such a fun listen. Exceptionally detailed and great sound-stage. So comfortable...
The dollar for dollar value you get with these is excellent.

It's deff bright and sometimes overly so, but they still provide an enjoyable listen.

Nov 2, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #787 of 1,091
Love the DT990, so energetic and such a fun listen. Exceptionally detailed and great sound-stage. So comfortable...
The dollar for dollar value you get with these is excellent.

It's deff bright and sometimes overly so, but they still provide an enjoyable listen.

They can indeed sound overly bright with a mediocre amplifier/ DAC/source material. In spite of their relatively low price, DT990s are not easy to drive and prefer the best associated equipment one can offer. Then, they don't sound overly bright, but extended, dynamic, clear, and detailed. Good luck.

Nov 2, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #788 of 1,091
I'd say even without the Dac and amp, they retain most of those excellent qualities and can still be very much enjoyable. I'm sure they improve with the appropriate equipment, but they are versatile enough to be useable without it as well.

Thanks for the tip.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #789 of 1,091
It doesn't have to be a massively expensive amp just a good one. My 990s sound absolutely great out of my Musical Fidelity V-Can II. (edit. This is solid state & much more refined and better matched than my Bravo Ocean 'valve' amp)

No harshness no fatigue no recessed mids or other things people (who maybe haven't even listened to them) accuse them of. Only a slightly narrow soundstage from this amp compared to directly from my Marantz receiver but smoother overall. So versatile anything from Classic Prog to Classical Baroque perfect.

Actually a warmish sound signature if anything but with crystalline highs (edit. And fantastic bass !) added. Quite unique ? A stunning headphone and an amazing bargain. Makes most other headphones look a bit pathetic in terms of price/ performance; this was a high end dynamic headphone only 1/2 a dozen years ago being given away but still needs to be treated as one.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #791 of 1,091
I'd say even without the Dac and amp, they retain most of those excellent qualities and can still be very much enjoyable. I'm sure they improve with the appropriate equipment, but they are versatile enough to be useable without it as well.

Thanks for the tip.

As you were discussing an over-bright sound, which is what I replied to, clearly you're not hearing what these cans can do. As long as you're happy....

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #792 of 1,091
How do you think it sounds unamped? Direct from a laptop output or phone?

Do you think the highs are bright without use of your amp? BTW I have the 250 ohm.

Choose something else; you'll get sound out of them I suppose but it's waste of time. These are proper headphones not to be wasted on poor sources.One reason why people have low opinion of these using them incorrectly IMO

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #793 of 1,091
just got my dt990 pro today, which i have been long curious of. i have read people's impressions of it being bass heavy and harsh sounding or v-shaped, but i don't hear any of it with mine. btw, just got the phillips golden ear certification so i guess my hearing is not impaired to be blind to low/high frequency extensions.
my setup is odac+o2, which is neither warm or bright, but neutral. from bass throughout tremble, they are just right, maybe you can hear a little sibiliance on some poor recordings but that's not the fault of dt990 pro. i tried it with rock, folk, pop, btw.
i think with more burning in, there is more enjoyment to come. the only thing i am not impressed is the sound stage, or maybe it is better on dt990 premium version with less clamp force.

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #795 of 1,091
I'm not sure whether mine 'burnt in' or I just got used to it but yeah, they get a lot better.
I clearly remember how bright they were first time putting them on, almost too sharp to listen to with some tracks. Now they're my favorite pair of headphones!
(Have had them nearly 2 years)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back