DT990 600ohm
Nov 15, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 28
I have TWO friends that have 600ohm Beyers that own the Bravo V2 tube amp (Ebay auctions). It's VERY affordable. The 600ohm Beyers are efficient for 600ohm headphones. It can be had for anywhere between 30-90 dollars depending on auction. Dude, just try it. I guarantee it will satisfy you until you decide to blow cash on a serious amp.

I myself am thinking of getting one to see how tubes work with my 990s, as I hear it tames that seriously aggressive treble (which I love anyway).

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 28
yer thats what im gettin the tube amp for, hopefully it dosent make bass less prominent too?

Also how does recessed mids work, is that like a middle noise sound? Hopefully it dosent make footsteps less prominent (which I assume start off as low range and work up towards mid range as it gets closer?)

I actually have no idea what im talking about, just trying to understand.

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #20 of 28
Start with the Bravo V2 or Indeed miniamps. for 50$ you can't do much wrong, you'll hear for yourself.
If you don't trust the mini amps, you can always save up for a tube amp (Mav-audio, Schiit, Darkvoice, Musical Paradise, Audiotailor Jade,...)

Here's a link to the Bravos: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbravodeal4youQQhtZ-1

Dec 31, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #21 of 28
You may want to check out can amps from Woo Audio, and the guys at Schiit Audio as well. Both have amps that run the price spectrum, from 250 up to nearly 5,000. Tubes rule at both firms though Schiit offers both tube and hybrid models.

You may also want to check out the PS Audio GCHA, a very nice SS option that, while discontinued, is available from folks like Music Direct for about 399-499 (demo vs. un-opened), down from the original $1000 price. A very liquid and warm sounding amp.

Still tubes may be the way to go to tame the DT 990s upper mid-lower treble brightness.... my DT 990/600s are new so I am hoping for some smoothing in that range as time goes by. My amp is the PS Audio GCHA...

Good luck!!!   

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #22 of 28
my $0.02 @ the OP: You don't necessarily need a tube amp for the DT990/600, I'm using mine with a Meier Audio Corda Concerto and it sounds fantastic. And if you're mostly going to be using the headphone and amp for gaming, I wouldn't recommend the DT990/600 due to the fact that it barely isolates outside noise. I'm not a pro gamer, but I've been to quite a few LAN parties in the past, and the environment is usually quite noisy, which will distract you.

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #25 of 28
Hi everybody,

i ordered a dt990/600 which i'll use with the astro mixamp and probably buy an dedicated amp later.

I wondering about stack 2rf receiver to drive the headphone ? Because i've already own 2 so can i take a  '2 male and 1 femel' jack link and by fact have more power ?

Thanks 

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
Hi everybody,

i ordered a dt990/600 which i'll use with the astro mixamp and probably buy an dedicated amp later.

I wondering about stack 2rf receiver to drive the headphone ? Because i've already own 2 so can i take a  '2 male and 1 femel' jack link and by fact have more power ?

Thanks 

Could you be a bit more specific? What amp are you looking to driver your Beyers with? Are you talking about a radio receiver? 
You need a dedicated amp to get the most out of your Beyers. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
Well I try google these amps people recommend on other threads, including this, and I cant find a price on them. So I have no clue what a decent tube amp costs.

If you're willing to wait a bit and build it yourself - a Bottlehead Crack kit will run you $220 for a very well regarded entry level OTL tube amp.  (See: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/388373/can-someone-explain-what-otl-means)  A used Woo 3 (assuming you can find one), typically goes in the $325-340 range.  I'll echo Riku in noting that the Woo 3 pairs very nicely with Beyers (although I'm using 250ohm 880's instead of the 600ohm 990's you're considering).

When it comes to gaming and HT use, I far prefer my 880's to my HD650's.  They are much more comfortable, have a wider sound stage and seem to reveal more separation between effects/voices.  The HD650's, by contrast, are more accurate in terms of instrument tones, and I find that I prefer them for most types of music. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #28 of 28

Quote:

When it comes to gaming and HT use, I far prefer my 880's to my HD650's.  They are much more comfortable, have a wider sound stage and seem to reveal more separation between effects/voices.  The HD650's, by contrast, are more accurate in terms of instrument tones, and I find that I prefer them for most types of music. 

x2 
(Although mine are HD600s and Dt880 600ohms) 
beyersmile.png

To add to the list:
You can get a LittleDot Tube amp for between $100 & $700. Shipping's probably cheap for Oceania too.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, the prices above are USD not AUS. I seem to get tangled in the currency mess when ever I'm talking about prices.
One day it'll probably catch up with me and I'll end up buying an exotic tube amp for 200 long tonnes of platinum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back