DT990 600ohm
Nov 13, 2010 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

RequiieM

New Head-Fier
Before I begin, yes iv used the search bar.

"I sent a e-mail to Beyerdynamic, and they told me that there's difference in sound for each 32ohm, 250ohm, and 600ohm models. They'd recommend 600ohm version if the user has Powerful amp"

So what amp would power the 600ohm version? also how much are the DT990's 600ohms? I live in Aus, and theyre $600 dollars for the 250 ohm version, but a quick google said they sell as low as 230 dollars??? :S (I have an auzentech prelude to work as the DAC)

Also one quick thing, would an amp possibly cause a large audio output latency? Im a pro aus fps gamer, and im anxious about spending this much on audio, especially if I cant return it by buying it internationally.

I am willing to spend 1,000 total.

Nov 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 28
A tube is better for the 990/600 ohm phones. In particular, I think the TLO tube sounds better on them.

Yes, you can buy these phones from several reliable sellers at about $250

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 28
As stated in many of your other threads... An amp will not create noticeable audio latency (fractions of fractions of a second). And for the Nth time... buying such an expensive amp is not going to improve a game's sound better than it already is. Such amps are intended for music.

No offense but you really need making threads on the same topic. This is probably your 10th one. Either pick and be done with it or just don't buy headphones at all.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 28
Actually the threads have narrowed down my decision, I have selected the DT990 600ohm, now I need to find an amp for it (not a fiio e9)

And its not my 10th one, dont over exaggerate. I am not making you reply to them.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 28
Okay 5. Still far too many and the context and the questions being asked have not changed (many already answered). I am not bashing you for wanting a good amp for your 990's, but simply for gaming purposes the cause is lost.

It's like buying an expensive chef's knife for the purpose of being a letter opener.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 28
Honestly man, just get the headphones and amp you feel like. Worst happens is you don't like them and return them for your money back. Nothing lost, no risks taken. You can't make a decision because you haven't heard anything. Just go with your gut; there's too many wonderful headphones out there. One of them's got to be what you're looking for.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 28
Well I thought the DT990's were the ones, given the fact theyre supposed to be better than the 650s for games, the 650s being the only other headphone id look at, apart from possibly the AKGs (but I dont think they have the bass im after)

But the main concern with the DT990's is the "recessed mids," I dont know how much of a negative effect that may have on fps games.

Looks like im back to square one with HD650's vs DT990's on my ever ending loop of frustration ^_^

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 28
Let's just say that almost everyone I know games with the DT 990's and loves them. I've heard of people gaming with 650's but not very many. I say just pull the trigger with the 990's and if you don't like them return them. The recessed mids are there but not as bad as people may make it seem. A lot of people have not actually heard the headphones and just repeat information they hear and it gets blown up out of proportion etc.

Tell you what, get the 990's and if you love them I'll say I told ya so. If you don't like them I'll leave you alone forever since I seem to run into you everywhere. You already know my recommendation for an amp; but regardless of what amp you pick, it serves no purpose if there are no headphones to drive. If you're really scared you won't be able to drive them; get the 32 ohm version. The difference between the 250 and 600 ohms is so small you probably wouldn't be able to tell if you did a blind test.

Get the DT 990's, and be happy. Then make your next move from there.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #12 of 28
Well I have heard that the 600ohm improves on the flaws in the 250ohm version, even if its minimal, id rather get the 600ohm version. But I do fear driving the 600ohm version properly. The DT990's are also alot cheaper than the HD650's, so I can easily cross out the 650s there. I am committed to purchasing the DT990s atm, and before I get talked out of it, I should. But am not comfortable purchasing a 135 dollar desktop amp to drive the beasts.

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 28
I have also read in quite a few threads, including this, that tube amps are good for the DT990s as they make the sound a bit warmer, cutting back on the harshness of the bright sound

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #14 of 28
Well isn't your budget way high anyway? I've more or less given up on trying to convince you to get the FiiO; but since you have the funds why not just get an expensive amp that you feel will do the job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back