DT880 vs HD600 for classical music.
Feb 14, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #2 of 43
For me, i prefer 880's. My preference on Classical are strings and windwood, and i love chamber music. So the DT800 can reproduce the scale and sound stage as it like.

However, most people claims Senn. are well-known on symphonies, if you like large scale musics, you may have a totally different choices.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 43
600, the 880 sucks

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #11 of 43
Damn the 880 has gained some popularity, it was always a bit of a person.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn the 880 has gained some popularity, it was always a bit of a person.

Hard to belief isn't it? I own DT880 250 ohms and they're the most artificial 'phones I've ever heard (well, maybe except for the Sony MDR-EX71). I don't mind forward highs when they're done well (I like the Grado SR-325i), but the DT880...ugh. Additionally, they just sound completely artificial over the whole range. Don't expect these to resemble anything you would be likely to hear in the concert hall. The only classical music I find them bearable with is organ music. The only music I would heartily recommend them for is trance, they do that very well. (If only I listened to trance.)

I haven't heard the HD600, but it must be better than the DT880.

(Did I forget to mention I don't like the DT880?
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to belief isn't it? I own DT880 250 ohms and they're the most artificial 'phones I've ever heard (well, maybe except for the Sony MDR-EX71). I don't mind forward highs when they're done well (I like the Grado SR-325i), but the DT880...ugh. Additionally, they just sound completely artificial over the whole range. Don't expect these to resemble anything you would be likely to hear in the concert hall. The only classical music I find them bearable with is organ music. The only music I would heartily recommend them for is trance, they do that very well. (If only I listened to trance.)

I haven't heard the HD600, but it must be better than the DT880.

(Did I forget to mention I don't like the DT880?
biggrin.gif
)

Well, I recently acquired the the 990 (2005 edition) and haven't heard the 880, but I understand it's liked even less by 880 detractors. Anyway, I spend a lot of time in (classical) concert halls as both listener and performer, and the 990 sounds to me a LOT like what I hear in them. De gustibus, etc.

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by supersleuth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I recently acquired the the 990 (2005 edition) and haven't heard the 880, but I understand it's liked even less by 880 detractors. Anyway, I spend a lot of time in (classical) concert halls as both listener and performer, and the 990 sounds to me a LOT like what I hear in them. De gustibus, etc.

Well, it does appear we have ourselves some 'love or hate'-'phones here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRSHUTHEHELLUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
classical?

Yeah, you know, real music.

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #15 of 43
The first time I listened to some Bose AE's I also thought, wow its just like I'm there, but you will notice that your standard quickly rises, because now I think they sound like crap compared to what I listen to now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back