DT880 vs HD600 for classical music.
Feb 14, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #16 of 43
DT990'05 far "artificial" than DT880'05,i have both pair of them.

If you guys don't like the"artificial" ,try the pro series.

(Actually i prefer my 990'05 more than HD650,more smooth,lush and warmth)

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #17 of 43
The Pro's are indeed better, but I have yet to encounter a Beyer that is to my liking.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #19 of 43
I haven't heard the DT880s, but I find that the HD600s are very good with classical music. In fact, that's where I'd probably say that the HD600 excelled out of all the different genres of music that I've tried them with. The HD600s are capable of delivering a very organic, natural tone.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #20 of 43
After finding the right non-sibilant source and amp (and the right tubes!) to drive them, I truly love my 880s - particularly when listening to choral music. I'm playing back a live recording of the Durufle Requiem right now - a concert I actually participated in as a member of the bass section in a touring choir a few years ago. The 880's are singing it back just right, no doubt about it.

The longer I linger around head-fi, the more convinced I've become that component synergy is the controlling factor in these debates - the true cause of the strong divergent preferences expressed in threads like these. Two headphones simply cannot be objectively assessed in a vacuum without factoring in the rest of the rig. With a bright/sibilant source, the 880's are indeed artificial sounding and can even boarder on painful (as I experienced prior to picking up my DAC). But with the right source and amplification, they can also be sublime. This is true of all high-end cans. So in addition to researching headphones, my advice would be that you make sure to also research (and ideally audition) sources and amps known to have good synergy. This is the real ticket to finding lasting joy with your setup.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After finding the right non-sibilant source and amp (and the right tubes!) to drive them, I truly love my 880s - particularly when listening to choral music. I'm playing back a live recording of the Durufle Requiem right now - a concert I actually participated in as a member of the bass section in a touring choir a few years ago. The 880's are singing it back just right, no doubt about it.

The longer I linger around head-fi, the more convinced I've become that component synergy is the controlling factor in these debates - the true cause of the strong divergent preferences expressed in threads like these. Two headphones simply cannot be objectively assessed in a vacuum without factoring in the rest of the rig. With a bright/sibilant source, the 880's are indeed artificial sounding and can even boarder on painful (as I experienced prior to picking up my DAC). But with the right source and amplification, they can also be sublime. This is true of all high-end cans. So in addition to researching headphones, my advice would be that you make sure to also research (and ideally audition) sources and amps known to have good synergy. This is the real ticket to finding lasting joy with your setup.

I completely agree. It also helps if the track/song played is mentioned, just like what you did.

Feb 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #22 of 43
And how about a warm source where the 880's are still sibilant and annoying bright? wrong songs?

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #24 of 43
5. denial

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And how about a warm source where the 880's are still sibilant and annoying bright? wrong songs?

As noted above, this is not at all my experience when the 880s are matched with a source and amp with good synergy. Ears certainly differ, but my conclusion would be that while your "warm" source may have been "warm" in the mids, it was still was not well matched to the 880's (250 ohm). As I understand it, the 600 ohm manufaktur version is less prone to this brightness issue.

My Woo 3 is known for not being terribly sparkly on the high end. This is not a virtue when paired with Senns, but is as it should be for the 880s. I also sought out a DAC known to have smooth, slightly recessed trebles, despite having proper extension and good transparency. This was just what the doctor ordered to correct the brightness of the 880's for my ears.

I make no contentions that they are a perfect headphone, but I do think there is a reason for all of the highly positive comments you find on these phones. With the right rig, they can really shine. Sorry this has not been your experience
frown.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #26 of 43
I understand you better now, and I'm glad you found the right synergy with your headphones. The beyer overall signature sound just doesn't appeal to me, and so I had no intention to make a money and time consuming journey to correct its flaws, I do however very much agree with you that you need the right rig for a headphone to shine, and I have done so with the headphones that appeal to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #29 of 43
i don't find the dt880's unnaturally bright in the treble, i find them naturally bright but just as in real life, you can only listen to a concert or say cymbals for so long before they get fatiguing.

the only thing unnatural about them is their midrange to me, unnaturally dry - lacks warmth in lower midrange and crispness in upper midrange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back