Dt880 vs hd595
Mar 16, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #31 of 37
Yeah you can snag them off Amazon for $219 w/ $5 shipping too.

I want to buy them used (Unless I get custom ones) because I've already been bitten buying new cans that I've never heard before and ended up not liking.

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 37
This is so sad
frown.gif

I mean, they are manufactured in my country, but they are much cheaper half around the world.

I payed 240€ for my pair. With the current exchange rate that are 315$.......

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Only problem you might encounter is the spike in higher frequency of DT880. They are not forward nor harsh, just bright and revealing. Warm source, like a tube amplifier, is recommended. You MIGHT want to EQ 7-10Khz range few decibels down, depending on your ears and what amp you use. Mine were PIERCINGLY bright (more than Grado!) out of the box, but it tamed down noticeably in hour (below Grado level). Try them, its only way to know.

ok - i know this is somewhat late post, but just some thoughts (btw i have the 595 and haven't heard the dt880 - but i'm lloking to buy a second phone and thinking of the dt880) - quantitavely how do you compare phones? probably the first thing that comes to mind - frequency response: Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears[0]=585&graphID[1]=243&graphID[2]=255&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones
ok - so "airiness", brightness, bass, the "sennheiser veil", etc. is what most people refer to - looking at the graphs it's interesting that most headphones have similar "problems" in the highs - in fact comparing hd595, hd650, dt880 it seems as if 595 and 880 actually have a very close curve, and in the problem area simply a different decision was made: beyerdynamic decided to shift everything up when compared to the senn - so the dip at 4-6khz disappears, but the result is very high peak at 8khz. the hd 595 peak in that area is more in-line with the rest of the frequency response curve...the 650 does seem to be the flatest overall with dip slightly less than 595 and peak perfectly in line with the rest of curve...so then, i'd say in terms of frequency response only (quantitive analysis), it really comes down to preference when comparing the hd595 and dt880.
Then i suppose these are some of the additional factors: response to transients - how quick is the damping and reaction to transients? i suppose it's mostly subjective reports here - how do you test this quantitavely? the soundstage, which is the seperation of sounds - this seems to be a little fuzzy area for me, because it would involve some perceptual psychology - what are the factors we use to seperate audio streams/objects - maybe a combination of transients, overall frequency spectrum, etc. would all work together to create the soundstage - and would we want this to be as wide as possible in phones, or maybe as natural as possible? Here I would say listen to some binaural recordings (in terms of simulating natural sound spatialisation) - something like gordon hempton (soundtracker) on both phones for making a comparison...ok...just wanted to show a slightly different angle one can use when comparing phones - i think the subjective advice that people give in reviews is invaluable, and when you have a large number of people agreeing you have a good indication - but it might be good idea to also just consider some quantitative information...

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #34 of 37
I personally would choose the DT-880. The HD580/HD600 are good headphones too, but have a different signature. I find the DT-880 in general more transparent. IMO, DT-880 is definitely not neutral where the mids may sometimes feel recessed with certain recordings. The deep bass is emphasized a little too much, but other wise they make good headphones around $200 USD. I got mine when Amazon had the special price below $200. All these headphones mentioned require quire a bit of juice, so make sure you have a a good amp.

I would not read too much into response charts. They don't decribe a lot of other components of the audio experience. For example, they don't really describe attack, punchiness, sensitivity, and efficiency. Also, adequate power and high quality sources can signicantly improve the sound stage with these high end headphones.

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally would choose the DT-880. The HD580/HD600 are good headphones too, but have a different signature. I find the DT-880 in general more transparent. IMO, DT-880 is definitely not neutral where the mids may sometimes feel recessed with certain recordings. The deep bass is emphasized a little too much, but other wise they make good headphones around $200 USD. I got mine when Amazon had the special price below $200. All these headphones mentioned require quire a bit of juice, so make sure you have a a good amp.

I would not read too much into response charts. They don't decribe a lot of other components of the audio experience. For example, they don't really describe attack, punchiness, sensitivity, and efficiency. Also, adequate power and high quality sources can signicantly improve the sound stage with these high end headphones.

well i would also not recommend it as the only criteria (frequency response), but it is quite an important consideration in the equation depending on the application...such as when neutrality is truely important.
I do suppose also that the dt880, being the "flagship" product of beyer must have a slightly different market in mind when compared to the hd595, which as far as i can make out is aimed at people wanting to make an entry into the high-end...on a completely different level - i must say i feel seduced by those super luscious-looking pads on the dt880 - must be nice even when no music is playing - haha!
How is the isolation on the dt880? - i see that it's a semi-open design. The Hd595 you can still hear everything around you - including computer fans, the hum of the external hard disk - at times i thought it would drive me mad...would be nice if there was just a bit more isolation, so thinking the beyer might be good in that area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back