Dt880 vs hd595
Mar 15, 2007 at 8:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

csommers

100+ Head-Fier
Curious as to what differences there are between the dt880 and the hd595. I'm in the process of acquiring another headphone and was curious as to whether the dt880 would be worth it or should i look at something else. im looking for something thats a little bit more subdued and cleaner, bass would be nice but its NOT necessary.

Mar 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 37
The DT880 (2005, haven't heard the older version) is certainly a major step up from the HD595 in terms of bass and clarity. But it certainly it's not subdued in any way, it's even more "aggresive" (not grado-like, but more than the HD595).

If i understand your comment about something "more subdued", the HD650 might be your HP of choice. So what exactly do you mean by subdued?

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 (2005, haven't heard the older version) is certainly a major step up from the HD595 in terms of bass and clarity. But it certainly it's not subdued in any way, it's even more "aggresive" (not grado-like, but more than the HD595).

If i understand your comment about something "more subdued", the HD650 might be your HP of choice. So what exactly do you mean by subdued?

So the DT880 is even more clear than the Hd595, and it has more bass?

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 37
DT880 is analytical and detailed, very neutral (a slight emphasis on highs tonally), excellent clarity and airy feeling. HD595 is in warmer side. Its brighter than most sennheisers, but its still sennheiser. Balanced sound, bit tonally distant and soft, relaxed. Clarity and air suffered cuz of this.

Both are not known for their bass (though HD595 with its warmer sound might seem bit bassier at first). Their bass is fairly flat, not boomy nor hard hitting. Their weakest area if you want to have fun. However, if song really has deep and hard hitting bass, (as funny as it seems, many "bassheavy" music are recorded quite bass light...) they play it as such. They just not boost it. In technical POV, DT880 is miles ahead. More detailed and all. But it depends which you like sonically.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 37
Definetly clearer and "better" bass, not more, in terms of quantity. It's more controlled and the overall feeling
wink.gif
is just better

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 is analytical and detailed, very neutral (a slight emphasis on highs tonally), excellent clarity and airy feeling. HD595 is in warmer side. Its brighter than most sennheisers, but its still sennheiser. Balanced sound, bit tonally distant and soft, relaxed. Clarity and air suffered cuz of this.

Both are not known for their bass (though HD595 with its warmer sound might seem bit bassier at first). Their bass is fairly flat, not boomy nor hard hitting. Their weakest area if you want to have fun. However, if song really has deep and hard hitting bass, (as funny as it seems, many "bassheavy" music are recorded quite bass light...) they play it as such. They just not boost it. In technical POV, DT880 is miles ahead. More detailed and all. But it depends which you like sonically.

Interesting, do you think the DT880 would be a good compliment then, for the "typical" Senn sound if one finds the Grado sound a little too forward and harsh?

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfing Sharks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, do you think the DT880 would be a good compliment then, for the "typical" Senn sound if one finds the Grado sound a little too forward and harsh?

Yes. Only problem you might encounter is the spike in higher frequency of DT880. They are not forward nor harsh, just bright and revealing. Warm source, like a tube amplifier, is recommended. You MIGHT want to EQ 7-10Khz range few decibels down, depending on your ears and what amp you use. Mine were PIERCINGLY bright (more than Grado!) out of the box, but it tamed down noticeably in hour (below Grado level). Try them, its only way to know.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #8 of 37
MaZa, let me compliment you on this last advice!
icon10.gif

Since i own the HD595, HD650 and the DT880 (2006), i really have to say that your observation is spot on.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 37
I don't mind the brightness. I guess what I meant by "harsh" was that the "in your faceness" and hard hitting sound was really "harsh" on my ears. I'm looking for something that has a bit more clarity than the Senn's with the soundstage of the Senn's. Thank's for the info.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

I don't mind the brightness. I guess what I meant by "harsh" was that the "in your faceness" and hard hitting sound was really "harsh" on my ears. I'm looking for something that has a bit more clarity than the Senn's with the soundstage of the Senn's. Thank's for the info.

Well its definetly not in-your-face headbanging. (unfortunately for me... I miss my Grados...
frown.gif
) Clarity is definetly their strong point. I dont know if soundstage is that much larger than HD595, but its definetly not smaller.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

I'm looking for something that has a bit more clarity than the Senn's with the soundstage of the Senn's.

In terms of clarity the DT880 really might do the right job for you. In terms of soundstage, i prefer the "Sennheiser HD650 way" (although i haven't heard the HD580), although the DT880 is really not far behind. Try it out, it really is worth it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

I dont know if soundstage is that much larger than HD595, but its definetly not smaller.

Definetly larger than the HD595, that's really its weakest point. With the DT880 you get a much better feeling for space.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhymesgalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definetly larger than the HD595, that's really its weakest point. With the DT880 you get a much better feeling for space.

Cant really tell cuz I didnt have my DT880 when I had HD595. I only had Grado to compare against.
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Cant really tell cuz I didnt have my DT880 when I had HD595. I only had Grado to compare against.
tongue.gif

That's why i'm telling it to you
biggrin.gif

No, for real, the feeling of space (i just decided to be this my new term for "soundstage", since i find this sometimes a bit misleading
wink.gif
) is much better with the DT880. The HD595 sounds compressed in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back