DT880 Right Driver Rattling at Certain Low Frequencys and other issues..
Mar 1, 2011 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gatsby

New Head-Fier
Hi there, my DT880 recently had rattling in the right driver at certain lower bass frequencies, so I did a search and found out there might be hair on the driver. I opened up the headphone and removed a lot of hair from the foam pad and replaced it, but there was still rattling. So I opened it up further and here is the issue. I accidentally pierced the white cardboard/foam thing (sorry I don't know what it's called) around the driver with a mini screwdriver I was using to open the plastic. I saw a brief mention of how to fix this (hot glue or silicon glue and "clipping" it?) but I'm not sure exactly what clipping it means or if that would even work, could someone explain that?

Also, even after removing some more hair from the felt-like material over the driver, the buzzing is still there. Is that because of pierced foam/cardboard material, or did I just not get all the hair off of the driver?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can help me.

Edit: Not my picture, but here is the "white cardboard/foam thing" I am talking about. I've found out it is called a "baffle". There is a small hole in that white area.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 5
I am unfamiliar with the DT880's I have done more than my fair share of "hair hunting". But if you could post some pics perhaps some of the fine folks here will be better able to help you. I recently had the same problem with my CD2000's but there was no hair present, 8 years and 5,000+ hours had taken their toll, they are on their way to Sony's Laredo repair center now to have new drivers installed.
WELCOME TO HEAD-FI!!!
sorry about your wallet

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 5
Added a picture (not mine). My DT880's are only about a year and a half old, but they have seen a LOT of use and there was a LOT of hair present when I was removing hair, I'm hoping I just missed some somewhere, but if not I guess the driver is bad?

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 5
Hmmmm any unsecured objects in a pair of headphones could cause rattling (I had wires cause rattling in my CD2000's on a few occasions) Make sure you got all of the hair, see that no wires are making contact with anything secure the cut baffle (i'm sure a head-fi search should come up with something that would help you in that regard) , other than that I cannot provide anymore advice.

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 5
See my "solution" ...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579944/solution-found-for-dt880-grattle-rattle-problem-at-low-frequencies#post_8061410

Users who are viewing this thread

Back