DT880 Review (2005-250ohm)
Mar 25, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by spideyman409 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the same boat. Looking for an amp to drive these dt880s. Any suggestions for a poor student?

I can attest to the fact that a Woo Audio 3/3+, with the right tubes, is an excellent match for the 880's. OTL tube amps were made for high impedance, low current phones, and the 880's fit the bill. Used Woo 3's run around $300, but don't pop up all that often.

Thanks to the OP for an excellent review! My ears and yours evidently appreciate the same virtues in these phones.=
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #33 of 44
I have myself a pair of 2005 DT880s and love them, but am having a difficult time driving them.

Last night I received my (used) Gilmore Lite that I purchased from a HFi'er. I hooked up my iPod Touch using 3.5 mm -> RCA and I had to turn the volume all the way up on my iPod and then had the dial at the 3:00 position to get it a reasonable volume.

I do have the Audio-GD Compass on the way, but I am beginning to wonder if these are just too difficult to drive with a reasonably priced amp.

When I do get it to the right volume, however, I am completely blown away. Very nice review.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #35 of 44
My experience on DT880 is go for a high quality desktop headamp with neutral sound like Corda Meier's, which can fully drive to its edge. However, I also agree that pairing DT880 with tube amp will sound very attractive, but IMHO, this is only a sound tonal changing without improve the overall sound quality completely.

Mar 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sw33t.Shuga.Ray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
connected to an Arietta
Do you guys fall asleep when listening with DT880/250? It keeps happening to me. is it because its boring?

It is because it sounds as natural and relaxing, a sign of a good match.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #37 of 44
I was also struggling with the DAC and AMP choice for quite a while for DT880. I had HD555 before and the moment I heard DT880 I knew it is it. But a sub-idea amp matching makes it sound thin and bright. I went for Arietta due to many good report and it does make the mid and high smoother with even better sound stage and positioning.

Then I got MF V-dac, which also known for its smooth and sweet mid trend with lots of details. Now I enjoy this combo very much.
FLAC>Foobar (ASIO4ALL)>V-DAC>Blue Jeans IC>Arietta>DT880.
And I am discovering lots of 'new sounds' in all of my CDs.

I think the rigs that drives DT880 is absolutely critical to reveal the potential of DT880!

Before I got V-dac, Sansa Clip was used as source and I need to turn Arietta to almost 2 o'clock. Dr. Meier mentioned that a desktop source will have more power and it did. With v-dac, 9~10 o'clock can provide same sound level already.

Now I am waiting a LD III from anther head-fier, it will be interesting to compare it with Arietta.
smile_phones.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review. Thanks for taking the time.

I agree with the majority of your impressions, but I find the treble emphasized enough that the mids are clearly recessed ... to my ears on my system. But slightly emphasized and slightly recessed.

Otherwise a great read and I like the way you gave your impressions of the bass.

You just need to EQ the high end down a bit. That's what I do with my DT990pro and prefer it that way for the reason you state. Read the thread on how to do EQ properly.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #43 of 44
my dt880 has got a problem here, i tried to listen carefully and realized that the left drive is abit louder than the right side. i have a few headphone to try with the same sources,and play songs that i m familiar with,i wondering if the driver of the left side is not working in normal condition?i might have to send it back to beyerdynamic germany soon for a check up.

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #44 of 44
I agree with your excellent review, in most areas. The 880's are a great headphone, no doubt.

However, I never found the bass to be sufficient.

I know this is purely subjective. One man's 'perfect bass,' will be another man's 'too much!' or another man's 'not enough!'

I did find that after a long burn-in, and using the 3Move - the only amp I have - the bass was more developed.

That being said, the soundstage of the 880's was extraordinary. Vocals were wonderful, tonal and breath-like. I thought, yes, they were excellent.

Traded up to the Denons, again, for a bit more bass hit. But I believe I'll probably get another paid of 880's someday. Someday soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back