DT880 Review (2005-250ohm)
Jan 8, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #16 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
G'day denl82,
This is a forum, your contributions are always welcome particularly as they seem to come from your experiences and not just from what you have read

*me holds back swelling emotions from the memory of being pimp the hell smacked in front of everyone*

You Can Thank Bushguy for That
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

apatN-I don't think I would describe the soundstage as "fake", as I have stated I think the DT880 have the ability to adjust to the music, from broad soundstage to quite forward; therefore I suppose the end result will be influenced by the music file itself. I haven't experienced what I would call fake, so it is hard for me to comment. I would agree that on various recordings the mids (particularly vocals) appear more forward and the instrumentation more "surrounding" however I still wouldn't refer to this as fake. The soundstage probably resembles the AD900 more than the K601. Bottom line is that I like the soundstage/headstage of the Beyer and as I have declared in my review, I find the sound quite "live" like.

My experience with the DT880/2003 and a respectable tube amp, like the Darkvoice 336i, has been very positive. With careful tube choices the DT880 can render a warmer and fuller midrange and an expansive and reasonably coherent soundstage. IMHE, the DT880's soundstage never sounded, nor even approximated, "fake," as per the description in this thread. But then, for the most part, I only drove the DT880 with a tube amp.

Jan 8, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 44
Everything you wrote about the 880s agrees with my impression of the 770s, so they must sound very similar. This is great, because what I was looking for was essentially a closed equivalent of the 880s, and apparently I found it.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone here know if a D2 Boa will drive the DT880s sufficiently?

Dublo7, you live in Perth. Grab your D2 Boa and head on over to Headphonic and ask Marcus to plug a DT880 in and have a listen. There is nothing like using your own ears and based on your location you can make that happen, you lucky bugger.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Dublo7, you live in Perth. Grab your D2 Boa and head on over to Headphonic and ask Marcus to plug a DT880 in and have a listen. There is nothing like using your own ears and based on your location you can make that happen, you lucky bugger.

Yeah, I'll definitely give it a shot. I just have to get the money first...
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Rarach-I took the DT880 on a spin with just my Sony DAP and DAP + Porta Corda. First up even the DAP drives the Beyer to acceptable listening levels and they still sound sweet. The lack of juice does affect them however, I prefer my AD900 straight from the DAP (better mids than the underpowered Beyer).
Less dynamic overall than when adequately powered, reduced soundstage, highs drop off a bit, mids loose strength, less impact all round. They still sound pretty good though and I would recommend them to someone without adequate amplification, provided a decent amp was in the foreseeable future. If no amp, then I can highly recommend the AD900 (great fon). DT880 is not bad with the Meier portable amp, but still not as dynamic as the Little Dot MKV could drive them. On par with the AD900 from a SQ perspective, although they do have different sound signatures, so that would get down to personal preference. Hope that helps.

Thank you for great feedback Kernmac. I am using my DT880 straight from soundcard and still couldn't get myself to spend another $$$ for amp as result was unclear and unsure. But after I read this, you probably finaly convienced me
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you again.
dt880smile.png

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #24 of 44
I would have to agree with this review completely. I couldn't have said it better myself. Excellent job, Kernmac.

If you haven't already, you really should listen to some classical/jazz on these. Especially live recorded Jazz. Really great for those genre's and really shines on a good recording.

Nylan

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #25 of 44
I have heard the exact dt880 just now in a store and I prefer it to ms2i on the system- marantz cd4000 and graham slee novo

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #26 of 44
Hi Kernmac i've read your thread on Headphonic (which made me think of getting an AD900 instead of an amp for my new DT880), that's a great review you made here.

I have a few questions for you:
- i can get a second hand Little Dot MKV as well within a few days, would you say it fully drives the Beyer? Is there a night/day difference compared to unamped?
- could you elaborate on the differences between the AD900 and the DT880. How do they compare in terms of soundstage for dynamic musics (is the AD900 much forward, does it have depth as well?), and also in terms of balance (bass impact, clarity, treble extension).
- do you confirm the unamped DT880 is about as good the AD900 or is it just as detailed? No difference in terms of dynamic and clarity? The unamped DT880 sound flat to my ears. I'm thinking more and more trading it for the AD900 as i prefer a portable can.

Mar 24, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #28 of 44
G'day mobbaddict and spideyman409
The Little Dot MKV drives the DT880 fully as far as I can determine, and together with my HarmanKardon CDP produces an excellent sound. Night and day difference is always a tough claim (Diminishing returns) however all I can say is there is certainly a significant improvement from underamped. I can't really comment on any other desk top amps, as I haven't owned any others. The AD900 is an excellent headphone, it has many similar traits to the DT880, but it does have a different sound signature as you would expect. I do prefer the fully amped DT880 over the AD900, however the AD900 from a portable source certainly goes with the DT880, and I would agree that the beyer can sound a little flat, or less dynamic when under amped. The AD900 performs well straight from a DAP, however the sound does improve with a portable amp, particularly bass impact. When I am comparing good/great fons, it really is hard to say this headphone is better than that headphone, they simply just have a "different" sound, and then you are talking taste/flavour/preferences. The AD900 might even have the edge over the DT880 from under amped sources. I think they are both excellent headphones, both give me a fair bit of musical bliss. The DT880 driven from a decent source with a powerful enough amp is a great sound, the AD900 from moderate source/amp is a great sound and unbelievable bang for your buck. For me the DT880 is the preferred fon, but the AD900 is great value and still an excellent headphone and definately the way to go without investing in a desk top amp. For me, it was the step up from my DAP to a decent CDP that put the icing on the cake sound wise with regard to the DT880. The AD 900 and DT880 are two of my favourites. Great sound stages, detail, sweet mids, solid bass impact without being over bearing, and both have great high ends. They are both very well balance across the sound spectrum IMO. The DT880 does need a solid source and amp to shine (and they do shine) the AD900 goes well from moderate source/power and isn't miles behind the more expensive combination.

Mar 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #29 of 44
yes the dt880 2005 sounds very best and mine is manufaktur.i hope my compass match nicely with it when i got it.

Mar 25, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #30 of 44
Thanks Kernmac
smily_headphones1.gif

I still have a few doubts about the AD900. Does it have forward presentation compared to DT880? I think you said it was a bit gradoish, right? I have the DT880 Pro which has a closer presentation than the regular DT880, and i like the sound close to my ears, not distant. But i need the great soundstage as well lol.
Also i'd like to know if the AD900 sounds clearer than the unamped DT880 (running from a DAP), which sounds a bit flat like i said (and you confirm it) and also a bit dark compared to my Phonaks IEM. I also think the treble doesn't extend very well.
So the thing is i need to know if the AD900 is more enjoyable than my unamped DT880, because in this case i will sell the Beyer and definitely go for the AD900.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back