DT880 Replacement
Mar 24, 2012 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

booch

New Head-Fier
Hello, I use an Audio-gd NFB-12 as my dac and amp, and until recently used the Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600 ohm.  Before those I used the Sennheiser HD485s.

After about 6 months, I've recently sold the DT880s as I came to the conclusion that the sound was not to my tastes.  I've always enjoyed the Sennheiser sound, and although the 880s were much more detailed than my HD485s, there was something missing for me (perhaps more forward mids?), and I enjoyed them less.

I think the best cans to get would be the HD650s, as I've demo'd the 600s and loved the sound.  However, I'm currently looking for a cheaper interim pair, and I've narrowed it down to the Grado SR125i and Sennheiser 25-1 mkII.  These are obviously different as the senn's are closed cans, but I've read that they have a grado-ish sound signature, and I'd have the advantage of being able to use them on the train (portable rig is ipod touch + fiio lod + fiio e5).

I mostly listen to metal, recently more progressive like: Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Neal Morse, Ayreon.  Still regularly listen to things like Children of Bodom, Metallica, The Sword, Nightwish.  I can give more info if it helps.

My question is: which do you think would sound better, and also which is less beyer-like?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 6
You might consider emailing brian for a pair of Sein's. He offered to me at $299 and $349 for 600/650 respectively. This is the best deal going right now and I think it will get you the sound that you are after. I will find his email if you want. PM me...

thanks...

Mar 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
You might consider emailing brian for a pair of Sein's. He offered to me at $299 and $349 for 600/650 respectively. This is the best deal going right now and I think it will get you the sound that you are after. I will find his email if you want. PM me...

thanks...

X2. Get the HD600s if you like them, fabulous headphones.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 6

thanks...

A bit expensive for me at the moment, I'm afraid. 
frown.gif

Quote:
the senn 600, 650 good for metal? I think 650 are laid back?

I think so.  I demo'd the 600s on Mastodon "The Last Baron", and Paul Gilbert "The Gargoyle" before I had to leave, and it was awesome.  I've given a more extensive demo to the Grado SR125i, but unfortunately didn't have my ipod with me, so I listened to some unplugged Nirvana and classical.  Again, awesome but those aren't my most-played genres.

Maybe they're not the best, but I couldn't comment.  The other cans which are mentioned a lot for metal are Grados, do you have any thoughts on those, or other recommendations?

Thanks for the replies!

Mar 24, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for responses, I've picked up a pair of Grado SR225i's from ebay 
happy_face1.gif

Hope they will fit the bill, thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back