dt880 premiun 250 ohm price
Oct 28, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #16 of 21

Quote:
Hamilton - hi fi shops?
blink.gif

Right now my only 2 places are East Hamilton Radio, and Long and McQuade (in Burlington).  When combined, both stores have a decent selection of AKG, Senn, Beyer, Grado, Denon, Sony and Audio-Technica, but they don't have everything unfortunately.  Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto has quite a bit too.

Do you have any other recommendations about where to audition headphones in Hamilton?

East Hamilton Radio is a very good one, in Burlington, there's Fairview Hifi or Alternative Audio in Dundas. All three are tops!

But you're right...for headphones nothing is better than Bay Bloor Radio in southern Ontario.

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 21
I think that's a fantastic price for the 250Ohm version of the DT880's. They do sound really good and the 600Ohm version is IMO better, but don't let that discourage your purchase on these! I would still like to et another set of the 250Ohm models myself but I don't have the funds
frown.gif

Anyhow you guys are going way off topic here and please stop this pointless bickering. You should each respect each other's opinions/belief and leave it at that. Everyone has their own ideas and such. There are others forums out there for arguing about this on this website. As you guys argued, this thread has become derailed and no longer goes in the way it was intended. So I suggest taking this argument elsewhere.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #20 of 21
macedonian hero
here is a question for you , please : is the beyer dt 990 600 ohm " better " than the beyer dt 880 600 ohm ?  i listen almost exclusively to classical solo piano , classical piano trios , and classical piano concertos .  i will also be using the headphones for practicing piano when they are plugged into my electric yamaha kx8 piano .  the discount prices on the beyer dt 880 600 ohms and the beyer dt 990 600 ohms are all over the map .  the prices do not seem to have much rhyme or reason .  so i believe i could find a pair of beyer dt 990 600 ohms right at or under two hundred dollars .  do you like the dt880 600 ohms for classical piano ?  do you like the beyer dt 990 600 ohms for classical piano even better ?  when a pair of beyer dt 990 600 ohms show up on amazon or ebay for around $170 us and described as lightly used does this usually mean that some prior customer bought them and then returned them for whatever reason ?  are these so called " lightly used " headphones a risky deal if purchased from a seemingly reputable seller ?  finally , how close is the sound element inside a pair of beyer dt 990 600 ohm headphones to the sound elements used inside the more celebrated beyer T1s ?  thank you for your valued input mr hero -- or anyone with opinions on the issues here mentioned . 

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 21

Quote:
macedonian hero
here is a question for you , please : is the beyer dt 990 600 ohm " better " than the beyer dt 880 600 ohm ?  i listen almost exclusively to classical solo piano , classical piano trios , and classical piano concertos .  i will also be using the headphones for practicing piano when they are plugged into my electric yamaha kx8 piano .  the discount prices on the beyer dt 880 600 ohms and the beyer dt 990 600 ohms are all over the map .  the prices do not seem to have much rhyme or reason .  so i believe i could find a pair of beyer dt 990 600 ohms right at or under two hundred dollars .  do you like the dt880 600 ohms for classical piano ?  do you like the beyer dt 990 600 ohms for classical piano even better ?  when a pair of beyer dt 990 600 ohms show up on amazon or ebay for around $170 us and described as lightly used does this usually mean that some prior customer bought them and then returned them for whatever reason ?  are these so called " lightly used " headphones a risky deal if purchased from a seemingly reputable seller ?  finally , how close is the sound element inside a pair of beyer dt 990 600 ohm headphones to the sound elements used inside the more celebrated beyer T1s ?  thank you for your valued input mr hero -- or anyone with opinions on the issues here mentioned . 

Thanks for the kind comments.
smile.gif

Personally I prefer the DT880/600s to the DT990/600s. I find the DT880s more balanced and cohesive; especially for classical music. The DT990s are a little too coloured for me with too much mid-bass and and slightly more tweaked up treble. Sound stage wise the DT990s offer a wider presentation, but that's no surprise as they are fully open headphones.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2751&graphID[]=2241

The drivers on the T1 are totally new and sonically they are most in line with the DT880s. Although the T1s and DT880s may share some of the beyer sound traits, they actually sound very different to my ears. I find that as great as the DT880/600s are, the T1s are just better at everything (except comfort). The T1's sound staging is wider left to right and front to back, the bass seems to deeper with better control and detail (only surpassed by the LCD-2s and HD800s).

The mids are fairly different, on the DT880s, I find the mids slightly pushed back, while on the T1s, they are front and center (kind of like the Shure SE530/535s) and lush. The treble as well is quite a deviation, I find the T1's treble not as peaky and "sweeter" than on the DT880s/DT990s.

So in the end...to sum it up, I'd go with the DT880/600s (especially for classical music). Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back