DT880 or HE60+HV70 ????? Tough situation
Nov 1, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary
Listen to this: THEY ARE NEW!!!! that's what the guy told me. I asked him if they were used, or something like out of the box for tests, and he told me they are new.

Check em out anyway. Sometimes things happen if it's still in the box or whatever. Better safe than sorry. This guy could be trying to scam you.

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Check em out anyway. Sometimes things happen if it's still in the box or whatever. Better safe than sorry. This guy could be trying to scam you.

Of course. I doubt he is trying to scam me, given it is a quite serious company. Anyway I'll try to go with someone expert in the subject. Thanks

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Well, it comes to this: If they sound as good or better than these AKG K66 right out of the box, directly plugged to my sound card, then I will wait whatever it takes until buying external DAC, CDP, etc. Thanks

I have never heard the K66 nor your soundcard, nor even the HE60 for that matter (though I've heard the HE90), so I can't answer that. However, if you've never heard an electrostatic headphone before, I can safely say that it will be very different. Electrostatics are extraordinarily clear and transparent sounding, but they don't have the same bass impact that dynamics do. They have bass, plenty of it and extremely high quality, too, but they don't quite have that dynamic thump, the feeling of air slamming into your eardrums. If you're into hip-hop, trance, and the like, they may not be the best idea. For pretty much everything else, though, they're top notch. I've gotten used to the somewhat lessened bass out of my Stax SR-404, and it's virtues far outweigh the disadvantages, at least for me. The HE60 should be better than the SR-404 though, so this may not apply quite as much. If it's anything like the HE90, it will have a very good bass response.

I don't want to sound like I'm focusing on the negatives here, though. Electrostatics are really another world of sound quality altogether, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of moving coils, and I'm sure those who are will disagree. Their extraordinary sense of air and space around each instrument, their superb portrayal of instrument texture and the chameleon-like ability to effectively become the instrument that they reproduce, their usually excellent detail and soundstage, all very much make electrostats #1 in my book.

In terms of how well the HE60 scales with better gear - it has, literally, limitless potential.

This probably doesn't answer your question. But, if you don't like them, then pretty much all of head-fi will be very happy to take them off your hands
cool.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I have never heard the K66 nor your soundcard, nor even the HE60 for that matter (though I've heard the HE90), so I can't answer that. However, if you've never heard an electrostatic headphone before, I can safely say that it will be very different. Electrostatics are extraordinarily clear and transparent sounding, but they don't have the same bass impact that dynamics do. They have bass, plenty of it and extremely high quality, too, but they don't quite have that dynamic thump, the feeling of air slamming into your eardrums. If you're into hip-hop, trance, and the like, they may not be the best idea. For pretty much everything else, though, they're top notch. I've gotten used to the somewhat lessened bass out of my Stax SR-404, and it's virtues far outweigh the disadvantages, at least for me. The HE60 should be better than the SR-404 though, so this may not apply quite as much. If it's anything like the HE90, it will have a very good bass response.

I don't want to sound like I'm focusing on the negatives here, though. Electrostatics are really another world of sound quality altogether, but then again, I'm not a huge fan of moving coils, and I'm sure those who are will disagree. Their extraordinary sense of air and space around each instrument, their superb portrayal of instrument texture and the chameleon-like ability to effectively become the instrument that they reproduce, their usually excellent detail and soundstage, all very much make electrostats #1 in my book.

In terms of how well the HE60 scales with better gear - it has, literally, limitless potential.

This probably doesn't answer your question. But, if you don't like them, then pretty much all of head-fi will be very happy to take them off your hands
cool.gif

Hehe. Alright, basically you are saying, the HE60 are top of the top (not the best in the world: HE90 and others costing more) but so purely refined, that they will reveal every little distortion and noise interference. Regarding that, it depends on the source and the cable right? Because the soundcard converters aren't professional quality (external DAC) but are pretty damn good. Just the fact that it is a discontinued model and so easily sellable (is that a word?) makes it a must buy even if it doesn't work well with my system.
About cables, what is the best extension configuration you would recommend? The soundcard has only miniplug outs, 1/8". Is the best thing an extension with 1/8" plugs, or one with 1/4" and use adaptors? Anyway, I wouldn't be able to buy good cables like those which are at 100us per meter.
Hopefully I should get a decent sound without buying anything extra (unless the distortion is so noticeable and unbearable).

Nov 1, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #20 of 47
Electrostatics are known to be revealing, but for me, I've been living with stuff so inferior to the gear we are discussing right now (Phillips SHP-895, Dr.Head amp, AV-710 soundcard) I'd doubt that I'll be able to recognize the flaws the HE60 would reveal =P Anyhow, as long as you listen to 320k mp3s I'd doubt that you'll find the HE60 unbearable with your gear.

Nov 1, 2005 at 5:37 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Hehe. Alright, basically you are saying, the HE60 are top of the top (not the best in the world: HE90 and others costing more) but so purely refined, that they will reveal every little distortion and noise interference. Regarding that, it depends on the source and the cable right? Because the soundcard converters aren't professional quality (external DAC) but are pretty damn good. Just the fact that it is a discontinued model and so easily sellable (is that a word?) makes it a must buy even if it doesn't work well with my system.
About cables, what is the best extension configuration you would recommend? The soundcard has only miniplug outs, 1/8". Is the best thing an extension with 1/8" plugs, or one with 1/4" and use adaptors? Anyway, I wouldn't be able to buy good cables like those which are at 100us per meter.
Hopefully I should get a decent sound without buying anything extra (unless the distortion is so noticeable and unbearable).

Just get a 1/8" to RCA cable, there are plenty of those. That's all you need. In terms of upgrading the source - just wait until these come in. Your ears will tell you what, if anything, you need to change.

Nov 1, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #22 of 47
JEEZ, HE60/HEV70 for $600! You'd be crazy NOT to get it!

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT.

Then sell it to me if you don't want it, :).

Nov 1, 2005 at 8:26 AM Post #23 of 47
Don't be fooled!!! The DT880 is a much better choice!!!

Now tell me where I can get those damn HE60-HEV70!!!
icon10.gif

Ok. Now seriously. Go for them. Now.

Nov 1, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
Electrostatics are known to be revealing, but for me, I've been living with stuff so inferior to the gear we are discussing right now (Phillips SHP-895, Dr.Head amp, AV-710 soundcard) I'd doubt that I'll be able to recognize the flaws the HE60 would reveal =P Anyhow, as long as you listen to 320k mp3s I'd doubt that you'll find the HE60 unbearable with your gear.

You saying that with 320kpbs Mp3 it would be alright? If it is a matter of source quality I don't have that problem (I do have many many mp3's with differente quailities) because the most important music I hear is in APE (lossless format which can be converted to wav), outputted in ASIO mode (which I believe has bit perfect output with this soundcard).
I believe the Dr. Head. amp is just a little, tiny little better than the integrated amplification of this soundcard (comparing their specs).
Thanks for your post.

Nov 1, 2005 at 12:18 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Just get a 1/8" to RCA cable, there are plenty of those. That's all you need. In terms of upgrading the source - just wait until these come in. Your ears will tell you what, if anything, you need to change.

I was asking in order to extend. You know that a goood 2 rca to 1 miniplug cable is very expensive (let's say 5mts or 6mts). So maybe a short one (1 or 2 mts) would be best for better quality listening, and an extension (costing not too much) for everyday use (being that a different kind of use that closely listening like when going to a concert).
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
JEEZ, HE60/HEV70 for $600! You'd be crazy NOT to get it!

BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT.

Then sell it to me if you don't want it, :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Don't be fooled!!! The DT880 is a much better choice!!!
Now tell me where I can get those damn HE60-HEV70!!!
Ok. Now seriously. Go for them. Now.

Hey guys, rebember to me it is 1800 pesos!!! it is a lot for me, a lot!. I think I will find a way to get the money before 1 or 2 months. Don't worry that if it is of no use to me, I will surely sell it to you (obviously more expensive). Thanks

Nov 1, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

I think I will find a way to get the money before 1 or 2 months. Don't worry that if it is of no use to me, I will surely sell it to you (obviously more expensive). Thanks

I already have one. That was just a funny (Ok, I'm not that funny) way to say that you should go for it if you can. It's a very good opportunity. Sure you will be able to sell it at higher price if that's what you want to do (you should keep them if you can, though).

Cheers.

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
I already have one. That was just a funny (Ok, I'm not that funny) way to say that you should go for it if you can. It's a very good opportunity. Sure you will be able to sell it at higher price if that's what you want to do (you should keep them if you can, though).

Cheers.

Yeah, it is a lifetime investment. I really hope it won't get sold before I get the money. Thanks

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #28 of 47
Alternately, you could buy the phones, listen to them for a while, and then sell them to me for 850 USD. That'd be a good profit for you, and I'm still feeling good (assuming they are in good condition!)

biggrin.gif
eek.gif
280smile.gif
600smile.gif
tongue.gif
orphsmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
lambda.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Alternately, you could buy the phones, listen to them for a while, and then sell them to me for 850 USD. That'd be a good profit for you, and I'm still feeling good (assuming they are in good condition!)

biggrin.gif
eek.gif
280smile.gif
600smile.gif
tongue.gif
orphsmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
lambda.gif

Hehehe. I understand they are new. Anyway if I were to sell them, not less than 1000usd. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back