DT880 or HE60+HV70 ????? Tough situation
Nov 1, 2005 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Aryolkary

100+ Head-Fier
Explanation:

I'm from Argentina so each dollar is 3 pesos. To pay 200us for a pair of cans means spending 600 pesos (imagine how bad you have to save money). Even worse, what there in the USA is at 200us here it may be at 300us (being that super cheap) usually 400us minimum. Meaning usually things here are aprox. twice the price they are there (with some exceptions which are almost the same price or the same).

There is an offer here of the HE-60 + HV70 at $600us. It is the last one available.
The DT-880 I may get them here at aprox $400us, seriously doubt I could get them cheaper.
The HD-580 here are at aprox $250, 270us.

So spending 400us means 1200 pesos to me, quite a lot really.
I have a Prodigy 7.1 LT sound card which HAS headphone amplification. It handles from 32 to 300ohms and up to 120mW. Right now I am running a pair of Akg K66 (my first buy) and are fine, though I notice their limitations.
As you may already know, this soundcard is a pretty good card, good DA converters and ASIO support, etc.
I use mainly Ape files with Winamp outputting ASIO mode.

If a friend of mine who lives there comes back "soon" (minimum 4 months more or less) I could ask her to bring me the DT-880 at aprox. $240us (the price there). So I would save like 160us (meaning almost 500 pesos, quite a lot).

The thing is I don't have an external amp, and am not planning on buying one right away. I have read that this Prodigy 7.1 LT can handle without problems the HD-600, so ohms shouldn't be a problem.
What I am concerned about is the difference in sound and best value for the money (in my case, being that a 200us difference between the DT880 and the HE60).
"Right now" I have something like $400us or so, to spend on a pair of headphones. To save up for the $600us HE-60 would mean quite a few months (not less than 4 months).
So my options are,
1) see if I can get the DT-880 for less than 400us,
2) see when my friend would come and if it would be alright to bring them
3) save up for the HE-60+HV70

I listen mainly to classical music, minimalism, jazz, bossa nova, etc.
The most important is piano music (I study piano), then chamber, orchestral and choral music. I don't care nor want big punchy bass, I want natural neutral bass, the one best suited for classical music.

I want your opinons, and also if you think I NEED an external amp (please post which one and it's cost -keep in mind getting it here usually means twice the price-) or I will be able to get good sound from the Prodigy 7.1 LT.
I think that buying the HE-60 would compromise me to look for a better amp (according to the reviews I have read) or let music going like for 5 hours so the amp gets going.

Remember my budget, it's quite limited and right now I am thinking of NOT buying an external amp, at least for the next year or 8 months at least (given I speculate I won't need it to run those cans, not that it would express their full potential obviously).

Thanks for your time, Ary.

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 47
Uh... get the HE60/HEV70 without hesitation before the other 1000 audiophiles that are looking for one snap it up from right under your nose.

The HEV70 isn't that great, but it's not terrible either, while the HE60 is one of the best headphones ever made, bar none. You'll shoot straight up to the top of the mountain, and the only thing you'll need to worry about from then on will be amplifiers, sources, IC's, etc. Speaking of which, even a Stax SRM-313, which isn't that expensive at $450 from audiocubes, will be a big improvement over the HEV70, although you'll need an adapter for it, and you'll have to watch for the difference in bias voltage (580V Stax vs. 540V HE60).

But... yeah. This is the most desired headphone, ever. Get it now!!!!!

P.S. Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet. And since (I hope) you're about to get the HE60, I'm really, really sorry about your wallet!
orphsmile.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Save up for the HE60+HV70.

Could you elaborate a little more on how much difference you think there is? The problem is that maybe in 4 months (or whatever it takes me to save up the difference) they won't be available anymore. Anyway if that happens, at least I'll have an extra 200us to spend on an external amp if needed or see if can buy something at 600us there in the USA (my friend bringing it as used). Thanks anyway (1 vote for the HE60+HV70 -Baby Orpheus)

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 47
I think they are both not perfect for you but get the HE60+HEV70 and sell it for profit if you don't like it
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Uh... get the HE60/HEV70 without hesitation before the other 1000 audiophiles that are looking for one snap it up from right under your nose.

The HEV70 isn't that great, but it's not terrible either, while the HE60 is one of the best headphones ever made, bar none. You'll shoot straight up to the top of the mountain, and the only thing you'll need to worry about from then on will be amplifiers, sources, IC's, etc. Speaking of which, even a Stax SRM-313, which isn't that expensive at $450 from audiocubes, will be a big improvement over the HEV70, although you'll need an adapter for it, and you'll have to watch for the difference in bias voltage (580V Stax vs. 540V HE60).

But... yeah. This is the most desired headphone, ever. Get it now!!!!!

P.S. Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet. And since (I hope) you're about to get the HE60, I'm really, really sorry about your wallet!
orphsmile.gif

Hey catscratch, how are you doing? Thanks for your comment, it does help.
Let me ask you if you believe the HE60 will do fine connected directly to my soundcard (that's to say, if I but them I won't have a buck to save up for a different amp, or external cd player, or whatever).
I use the PC for listening to music as I mentioned. In that case the HE60 should be connected to the front channels connector right? Or to the headphone amplified connector?
About the voltage, how is that? It uses 540v???? Here in Argentina the standard is 220v, there it is 110v right? So an adaptor from 540v to 220v will do the job?
Thanks dude.
cool.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aryolkary
About the voltage, how is that? It uses 540v???? Here in Argentina the standard is 220v, there it is 110v right? So an adaptor from 540v to 220v will do the job?
Thanks dude.
cool.gif

Get the HE-60, you can always sell it if you don't like it for more than $600.

The AC adaptor the comes with should be set for 220v. This is what you want. The amp feeds 540v bias current to the headphones. You don't need an additional adaptor.

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Get the HE-60, you can always sell it if you don't like it for more than $600.

The AC adaptor the comes with should be set for 220v. This is what you want. The amp feeds 540v bias current to the headphones. You don't need an additional adaptor.

Thanks mate, I am seeing that it is an easy choice (some praying will be necessary so they don't get bought).

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 47
Blah, stupid back button on mouse erased my carefully-typed up post!
mad.gif

In a nutshell:

The HE60 is really, really high end. In fact, it's as high end as they come. The reason why I'm so enthusiastic about saying "grab them" is that you're getting an astounding deal. The system used to retail for as much as $1800 new, and is now not available at any price! To give you an idea of the demand for these headphones: a broken pair in terrible condition sold for over 500 euro on ebay not too long ago!

As Ian said, this is not the ideal headphone in your situation. It is extremely revealing, and you will hear every single flaw in your source. Clipping, background hiss, distortion, shielding problems, you'll hear it all. The good news is - decent computer sources are cheap. I don't know how good your sound card is, but an E-MU 0404 ($100 in the US) will drive these headphones decently well. You'll probably want an external DAC though, and this is where things get really expensive.

If you don't plan on putting in more money into your sound system down the line, then this is going to be a bit of a waste. On the other hand, you can easily sell them here at a good profit.

My advice would be: see if you can listen to them before you buy. And preferably out of a good source, if one is available, to give you an idea of their potential.

P.S. In terms of connecting them - the amp has RCA inputs, and if your soundcard has RCA outputs, then that's what you'll need. If not, then get a mini to RCA cable and use the line-out on your soundcard.

But, as I've said, your souncard most likely isn't good enough for these headphones, so if you spend money on them, well, there will be more money spent down the line. If your music is important to you, then go for it... this is the one piece of your system that you can't get whenever you want to, so it does make sense to grab it now and get the easily available components later.

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
If you don't plan on putting in more money into your sound system down the line, then this is going to be a bit of a waste. On the other hand, you can easily sell them here at a good profit.

Well, it comes to this: If they sound as good or better than these AKG K66 right out of the box, directly plugged to my sound card, then I will wait whatever it takes until buying external DAC, CDP, etc. Thanks

Nov 1, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

There is an offer here of the HE-60 + HV70 at $600us. It is the last one available.

I'd go borrow some cash to get that right now if I were you
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
I'd go borrow some cash to get that right now if I were you
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Get the damn phones. Just do it. NOW!!!

Alrighty, will see if can sell something else, and ask my old man for the rest, he may lend me some.

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Alrighty, will see if can sell something else, and ask my old man for the rest, he may lend me some.

oh yeah don't forget to check out the combo before buying. (assuming they're second-hand) Maybe damaged or something. Have an experienced electronics person or whatever come with you to make sure everything's tight.

Nov 1, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
oh yeah don't forget to check out the combo before buying. (assuming they're second-hand) Maybe damaged or something. Have an experienced electronics person or whatever come with you to make sure everything's tight.

Listen to this: THEY ARE NEW!!!! that's what the guy told me. I asked him if they were used, or something like out of the box for tests, and he told me they are new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back