DT880 Balanced Detachable Dual-Entry Recable Questions
Mar 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #17 of 23
Those should be fine, if you have room in the body for them (which, I expect you do). 

Any particular reason why you are going this route and not the locking coax route? 

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #18 of 23
Ohh, I am just curious. But I will be going with coax route, just trying to find the Switchcraft 35HD Series Locking Plug  (preferably 35HDLBAUS) cheap since it is not available on Markertek (most of the parts I have picked out are cheaper) and it is a bit costly from Mouser.

Edit: Sorry I am bringing up so many different connectors, I am just trying to learn about the typically preferred connectors since I could not find a general plug type used in any sort of detachable cable mod, let alone a balanced detachable cable.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 23
Single entry with Mogami W2834 and TRRS (4 pole 3.5mm) is what I used on my Dark Knight headphone mod and it worked great!  Since your not adding a Mic, you could just send 2 wires over to the other side of the headphone.  If you wire like a normal TRRS connector, you could even use your headphone cable as a 3.5mm Male to Male extension cable when not needed for headphone (like if you wanted to run your iPod into a portable stereo or something that used a 3.5mm input).  Just a thought.

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #20 of 23
Hey Guys,Rookie here.
Dont Want bumping a relative old thread,and i dont like to create a thread of my own for a simple question.

I have a DT990 and i would like to recable my Beyers too,at the moment i don`t think about balanced recabling ,but about just recabling a straight cable going out of any of the housing pads,(the coiled cable is a little annoying) and maybe having them detachables,if there is space and technical compatibility in the housing plastic pads (althoug not extreme necessary).
So i am wondering if there is on the community someone who can do it wih reliability and not asking me an eye for the service,cause i am terrible at soldering skill and because is the only headphone i have.I ilked very much the Silver Cable without shielvings that Cris_Himself maded for Maxvla for his HD800 aesthetically too,by the way.
Thanks in advance.

Jul 31, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
Those should be fine, if you have room in the body for them (which, I expect you do). 

Any particular reason why you are going this route and not the locking coax route? 

just to clarify here as i'm doing this at the moment, there is a full ~1.5mm tolerance (on top/bottom INSIDE the cups) for installing the switchcraft male mini XLR sockets in the DT880 cups, certainly not preferred. its doable but a complete pita. I would use (and have) the lemo mini coax Drew uses linked before these anyday, much more clearance and easy to create the correct size hole in the other cup with a standard drill. to do it with mini XLR with so little room for error requires to start with a finger powered jewelry drill with 1mm bit, then increase to 2mm, 3mm, 5mm (or perhaps 1/4") and then work around the edge with a file until its just a little smaller than the thread on the mini XLR socket and screw it in then epoxy in place.

its actually easier on the side that doesnt have a hole to start with, as the hole for the original cable entry is not centered in this area, or circular, so you cant just enlarge it with a standard drill bit.

like I said a complete pita. the advantage of the mini XLR is that the same cable can be used for LCD-2/3 which is why it was preferred as he owns them too, but I really wish i'd pushed for using lemos and adding another adapter. I prefer to use the mini 2 pin lemo (same size) to the coax, as its more suitable for balanced, not cheap though.

Oct 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #22 of 23
Did this ever get completed? Because i would love to read a little write up on it and see some pictures 

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #23 of 23
I did finish with two mono chassis plugs and two stereo male connectors originally, but I am currently recabling my DT880's with the custom connectors that Moon-Audio has (in one of my previous posts) since they are smaller and very well made.  I will see about possibly posting pictures this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back