DT880? 880 pro? recabled? by whom? help!!!
May 31, 2007 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
Ok, so I think I've decided to sell all (well, most) of my headphone gear and go for the gusto. I've been curious about the DT880's for years now, but never bit the bullet.

All of a sudden, I'm hearing that they're bass-able, they've got great imaging and soundstage, and that they're quite the upper end can. Great! My only problem now is which one do I commit to?

Choices:
  • regular 880
  • 880 pro
  • some kind of 880 dragon recabled
  • some kind of 880 headphile recabled\

Which ones would you suggest and why? For the record, I love my GS1k's, but they can be a little too bassy. I want to get as close to their sound as possible. Assume money is no object here. Thx!

May 31, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can also get them recabled at moon audio and alex ( www.apuresound.com )

maybe I should clarify - that's what I meant by a dragon recable.
wink.gif

May 31, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 17
If money is no object the 600 ohm version from Beyer Manufacture with the leather earpads is the way to go. You can also customize the headphones to your taste aesthetically on their site.The leather earpads add to the bass, and the 600 ohm version while harder to drive edges out the 250 ohm in sound quality. Then if you want them recabled the best in the hobby IMO is Alex AKA [AK]Zip.

May 31, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If money is no object the 600 ohm version from Beyer Manufacture with the leather earpads is the way to go. You can also customize the headphones to your taste aesthetically on their site.The leather earpads add to the bass, and the 600 ohm version while harder to drive edges out the 250 ohm in sound quality. Then if you want them recabled the best in the hobby IMO is Alex AKA [AK]Zip.

Thanks! I'll definitely give Alex a 'call'. BTW, how hard are the 600 ohm cans to drive? My KICAS is a 330 mW output; I also have another amp that offers up 100 mA at about +-12V. Both amps are pure discrete...

May 31, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I'll definitely give Alex a 'call'. BTW, how hard are the 600 ohm cans to drive? My KICAS is a 330 mW output; I also have another amp that offers up 100 mA at about +-12V. Both amps are pure discrete...

They're not anywhere near as hard to drive as a K340 or an Orthodynamic, and most decent amps should do you fine. Just don't expect to run them from an iPod, or a headphone output on a receiver.

May 31, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #7 of 17
Money is no object? Definitely a Manufacture pair @ 600 ohms, fully leathered...................then if you want to go the extra mile - Headphile re-cabling. While I have the Manufacture pair as described I have not yet re-cabled. Think of the main reason the mids are brought more forward with Darths - Larry's re-cable. IMO the 880's are better with mids a bit more forward towards neutral.

May 31, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 17
Yes recabling the DT880/600s with 2 meters of Headphile Blackmax is an ongoing obsession of mine. It would be wonderful if someone actually did this and reported back on the changes. (Hint, hint BushGuy.)
Omendelovitz, when you hear my leathered DT880/600s at the meet, I think that you will conclude that the rave reviews are deserved. It's worth going custom (and fun too!).

May 31, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 17
Ex0dus5 - clearly you are insulting someone with your post. Who is the "he" in your last post?

May 31, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #11 of 17
I'm not insulting you, I'm predicting your review. For every single cable review I've seen, they always say the same thing. I would be open to hearing a review of cables in a blind test though, would be interesting to hear.

I consider myself a freedom fighter on a site owned by cable sponsors. I'm just trying to let people know that there is no absolute truth regarding cables. If I come off as offensive, then so be it.

May 31, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 17
Hey guys, #$%! off. If you guys want to duke it out, start a PM war. I don't want Zanth, Jude or any of the other mods to close this thread over cable wars. I've personally tested recables of various sorts (did a head-to-head of 3 650 recable options at a meet w/ Tyll through a headroom max amp), and I believe that they can tailor the sound as I've heard the differences w/my own ears.

I can see Drew (moon audio) doesn't get many votes here. hmm...

May 31, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 17
Ok, seems like you've already been swayed anyways
redface.gif

I didn't want to start a war, just wanted to warn you before you entered into the cable world blindly. It's all yours now.

May 31, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, seems like you've already been swayed anyways
redface.gif

I didn't want to start a war, just wanted to warn you before you entered into the cable world blindly. It's all yours now.

fair enough. if it's any consolation, my IC's are rat shack and RCA $10 stuffs... I've tested the IC cable bit and haven't been swayed there. IMO, nothing I've tried shows anything but snake oil.

May 31, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #15 of 17
I've cast enough pearls for the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back