DT770 Question
Jan 21, 2015 at 9:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TLoFP

New Head-Fier
Thanks to the help of many great reviews on this forum and suggestions from members I was about to pull the trigger on the DT770s. Many reviews consider them to be heavy on the bass and they are often suggested for rock/rap an other bass heavy music.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf

The measurments certainly show a significant LF hump. But then there is Zombie_X (http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more) who compared the DT line up and said that the DT770s are rather weak in the bass compartment. I wish I could try these out in a store but I can't find anything in the baltimore/washington area.

When I compare the charts from innerfiedelity with say the DT880s:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT880600ohm.pdf

The DT770 certainly are more sensitive below 100 Hz then the DT880s. I would conclude that they have more "Bass" but Zombie_X has the contrary opinion. Given the fact that I do not know what I am doing at all (owning only one decent pair of headphones the HD280s), I would tend to trust Zombie_X more then my interpretation of the charts.

So let me ask my question: are the DT770s bass heavy? and will they satisfy my craving for more bass?

Currently I am using HD280s paired with a FiiO E10K and I love the setup for classical music. The only type of music where this setup really fails is Techno. But then again I also don't think that Techno requires $300 headphones (just my opinion). So back to classical music. I used to own a 2kWatt JBL setup (part of a DJ gig back in the days) and I am trying to reproduce the energy and power that I felt listening to classical masterpieces of Beethoven and Mozart on that rig. The HD280s are very clear and I can really appreciate the orchestras compared to my modest HT system. I always, without a doubt, turn on the 3db bass boost on the FiiO. This brings out and allows me to hear the bass instruments better. It increases the bass punch (in classical music terms) to an "almost where I want it level". When I listen to the 1812 Overture I find that the HD280s just lack a little bit of impact. Let me be clear: I think they are really close. They have to my ears great balance and clarity they just need more punch.

I am hoping that with the DT770s I won't have to give up the clarity, resolution and isolation I love from my HD280s. At the same time I would want them to have a bid more bass (better drum punch, more impact on cannons, and louder bass strings) with the E10Ks bass boost turned off. That way if I were to listen to some other genres like techno or rap I could flip the bass boost on and maybe fiddle with the EQ on my software a bit and be mildly satisfied with the bass. (I don't think anything other sheer window breaking power really does Techno justice, I just don't think it is a genre well suited for headphones.)

My apologizes for rambling. But since I can't try any of these at the store I am hoping some of you might be able to relay your impressions of the DT770s and if you consider them bassy? I always thought I was a basshead, I thought it meant I like the bass strings in an ochestra to be a tad more pronounced. But then I found this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-best-bass-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club and now I am afraid to call myself a "bass-head" because I am definitely​ not a bass-head by that threads standards.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 9
From reading the comparison by Zombie_X, I think he's simply comparing the different models of the Beyers, and most of his statements don't seem to be targeted at how the DT770 compares to all other headphones.

I also think that you have to be a little careful of what reference is being using when someone says a headphone has weak or strong bass. Are they EDM or hip-hop fans that are comparing the bass to the dual 12" SVS sub drivers being fed with 5000 watts that they have mounted in their Honda Civic? Or, are they treble-heads that want the sound to be all sizzle and no boom?

For example, when I heard the V-Moda M100, I thought it was a VERY bass-heavy headphone. It sounded very unnatural to me - all I could hear was the bass and some sizzle on top. However, I have read people in this forum say that they weren't impressed with the M100 bass because they couldn't "feel" the bass.

It's been a long time since I heard the DT770, and to be honest, I really don't remember what I heard. I think that in the end, regardless of what someone else or a chart says, you will have to make the final decision yourself, and you won't really know until you try them on your own head.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 9
From reading the comparison by Zombie_X, I think he's simply comparing the different models of the Beyers, and most of his statements don't seem to be targeted at how the DT770 compares to all other headphones.

I also think that you have to be a little careful of what reference is being using when someone says a headphone has weak or strong bass. Are they EDM or hip-hop fans that are comparing the bass to the dual 12" SVS sub drivers being fed with 5000 watts that they have mounted in their Honda Civic? Or, are they treble-heads that want the sound to be all sizzle and no boom?

For example, when I heard the V-Moda M100, I thought it was a VERY bass-heavy headphone. It sounded very unnatural to me - all I could hear was the bass and some sizzle on top. However, I have read people in this forum say that they weren't impressed with the M100 bass because they couldn't "feel" the bass.

It's been a long time since I heard the DT770, and to be honest, I really don't remember what I heard. I think that in the end, regardless of what someone else or a chart says, you will have to make the final decision yourself, and you won't really know until you try them on your own head.

Thanks Billy. I think I was coming to just that conclusion. It is very hard to put down 200 or 300 USD for heads (maybe another 300 for a magni/modi stack in the futre :D ) without really being able to try any of the equipment. It is like you said though, some people refer to the DT770 in such completely different ways. Youtube reviews of those cans are all over the place too. They one thing everyone seems to agree on is that they are good headphones and worth the money. I think the only way they could disappoint me is if they had less bass then the HD280s. Judging from the graphs that shouldn't be the case. But I still have some time before I can purchase them so I will wait patiently for some more feedback.

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 9
I also think the dip in the DT770 response between 60-100Hz might be impacting what some of the reviewers hear. I suspect that is an important area for some types of music, and it might be, for example, where an electronic kick drum might produce a lot of energy. Just my speculation...

Jan 21, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks Billy. I think I was coming to just that conclusion. It is very hard to put down 200 or 300 USD for heads (maybe another 300 for a magni/modi stack in the futre :D ) without really being able to try any of the equipment. It is like you said though, some people refer to the DT770 in such completely different ways. Youtube reviews of those cans are all over the place too. They one thing everyone seems to agree on is that they are good headphones and worth the money. I think the only way they could disappoint me is if they had less bass then the HD280s. Judging from the graphs that shouldn't be the case. But I still have some time before I can purchase them so I will wait patiently for some more feedback.

Here's a direct comparison of the measurements for the DT770 with the HD280 Pros: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=713&scale=30

They should be fairly comparable in bass. Although like billybob_jcv said, their midbass dip might impact how some people perceive them.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 9
I also think the dip in the DT770 response between 60-100Hz might be impacting what some of the reviewers hear. I suspect that is an important area for some types of music, and it might be, for example, where an electronic kick drum might produce a lot of energy. Just my speculation...

That makes allot of sense. Let me mediate on it.

u might want to read up on the DT150
Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant!

Thanks. I will read up on it.

Here's a direct comparison of the measurements for the DT770 with the HD280 Pros: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=533&graphID[]=713&scale=30

They should be fairly comparable in bass. Although like billybob_jcv said, their midbass dip might impact how some people perceive them.

That is so interesting. Do you know if that was the 80 Ohm version. The 80 Ohm version is what research indicates to have the most bass.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #8 of 9
That is so interesting. Do you know if that was the 80 Ohm version. The 80 Ohm version is what research indicates to have the most bass.

Don't know. But I have my doubts that the difference in bass is quite as significant as people make them out to be. Perceived differences in comparison tests are probably due to the better suitability of an amp to power one impedance over another.

Jan 22, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 9
If you're using the HD280 then the bass in DT770 will feel less but it will be cleaner sounding and more accurate. In a sense, the DT770 is considered quite neutral in it's range of products in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back