DT770 Pros or DT770m
Nov 22, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:
Don't get the 250 ohm version. It's grainier and has a super sucked out midrange in comparison to the 80 ohm version. It's also really tricky to drive correctly. 

That is confusing. PurpleAngel says the opposite, and Zombie_X's large comparison thread also seems to suggest that the 80 Ohm version is the (slightly) worse one. Perhaps the differences are not that significant in fact, and it is down to personal preferences, or the headphones have been changed over time ? Also, surprisingly I do not find the 250 Ohm version to be particularly tricky to drive. Obviously, someone who does not like the sound will experiment with different sources in the hope of finding any improvement - just like with burn-in, recabling, etc., but there is really not that much difference between adequately good sources.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #17 of 22

Quote:
That is confusing. PurpleAngel says the opposite, and Zombie_X's large comparison thread also seems to suggest that the 80 Ohm version is the (slightly) worse one. Perhaps the differences are not that significant in fact, and it is down to personal preferences, or the headphones have been changed over time ? Also, surprisingly I do not find the 250 Ohm version to be particularly tricky to drive. Obviously, someone who does not like the sound will experiment with different sources in the hope of finding any improvement - just like with burn-in, recabling, etc., but there is really not that much difference between adequately good sources.

I agree, I asked my friend today, he recommended the 250 ohm version, while some of you recommend the 80 ohm version. I'm still not sure whether or not I should go with the 80 or 250 ohm - but I hope to buy soon (I live in Australia, and the Aus dollar is slowly dropping).

Has anyone been able to power 250ohm + headphones through iPods etc without external amps?

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone been able to power 250ohm + headphones through iPods etc without external amps?

There is no universally correct answer to this, because there are significant differences both between the various sources, and also headphones of the same impedance (one may be more than 10 times as sensitive as another). For the iPod, I have seen maximum RMS output voltages quoted ranging from 0.3 V to more than 1 V, depending also on the exact model/generation, and whether it is the one intended for European markets with reduced output power. In the particular case of the DT770, probably very few of the portables would allow for really high volume, and some would only be capable of modest levels without distortion. It is best to try it, and if you cannot get satisfactory performance, you can buy a portable amplifier like the FiiO E7, or, if possible, return the headphones.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
There is no universally correct answer to this, because there are significant differences both between the various sources, and also headphones of the same impedance (one may be more than 10 times as sensitive as another). For the iPod, I have seen maximum RMS output voltages quoted ranging from 0.3 V to more than 1 V, depending also on the exact model/generation, and whether it is the one intended for European markets with reduced output power. In the particular case of the DT770, probably very few of the portables would allow for really high volume, and some would only be capable of modest levels without distortion. It is best to try it, and if you cannot get satisfactory performance, you can buy a portable amplifier like the FiiO E7, or, if possible, return the headphones.

Hmm fair enough.
But for normal guitar playing and occasional bass playing, would I be better suited for the 80ohm versions then?
I'd try return it, but it I'm buying It online. :/

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:
But for normal guitar playing and occasional bass playing, would I be better suited for the 80ohm versions then?

If you mean powering headphones with the Digidesign Eleven Rack, then high impedance is probably not an issue. I found somewhere that it has an output voltage of 3.5 Vrms maximum, and that is enough for 250 Ohms, unless the source has high (>100 Ohm) output impedance, which would however make high impedance headphones preferred anyway.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #21 of 22
You going to need an external amplifier anyway for use with the MacBook Pro, no matter which DT-770 headphones you choose.
I do not hear any graininess with my 250-Ohm, but the 250-Ohm headphones will show all the imperfections in a audio signal.
My Asus Xonar STX ($200) powers my headphones, I would think poor quality headphone amplifiers would have a less clean signal, that might be the source of the "graininess"
If the Eleven rack has stereo 2.0 analog output, then just about any external headphone amplifier would work for you.
Even the $30 Fiio E6 would work.

For fun, you can get low cost single tube headphone amplifiers off eBay, prices start at $45, better ones at around $75, ships from China, takes 10 days.

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 22
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you...

I actually don't use the 770s when I play guitar. I have the 32-ohm premium version and they're just much too low of an impedance to get any sort of decent sound out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back