DT770 / HD598. Need help!
Oct 15, 2012 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Atwa

New Head-Fier
Good Evening folks.

A while back I decided to upgrade my phones. I am currently sitting on a pair of AKG K518 LE, which sound OK. Though are EXTREMELY uncomfortable, I have to shift them constantly. Also the sound leaves a little something to be desired. 

Anyway, after many hours of researching I have managed to decide - two of them. However choosing one over the other seems impossible. The headphones in question are Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 80Ohm and the Sennheiser HD598. From what I have gathered, and I would gladly be corrected, the differences between these two seem to be.

DT770 - Very bass heavy, very comfortable, lacking in mids, seems to require a bit more to run. Closed. 

HD598 - Neutral sounding, "weak" bass, good all around headphones. Open.

With that said, I have some questions about open headphones, since I have only owned closed ones before. Just how much do they leak? If I crank the volume up, will people sleeping behind a door fairly close hear the music? 
I also understand I would be able to hear stuff around me. Say I have a desktop computer next to me with 7-8 fans going on high RPM just a few meters away. Will this interfere will my music? 

I certainly understand each of the headphones is better for a certain type of music. Though I really listen to EVERYTHING, from classical to hiphop to drum and bass. As well as playing video games/watching movies with said headphones. I also like bass but I do not want it at too big cost of sound quality. 

I think it needs to be said that I do not currently own any DAC/AMP/Soundcard. I use the onboard souncard on my Asus P8Z68-V Pro. Originally I wasn't planning on buying anything, but something cheap like a Fiio E10 I could consider if it would improve things noticeably. 

Basically I would just love someone to help me decide on which headphone to chose, of course other suggestions are always welcome. Though they need to be decent sounding and comfortable to even be considered. I hope my message comes across in this somewhat incoherent rambling and that someone shed some light on the problem. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 17
i own the dt 770 - 250 ohms and i can tell you that they dont require anything to "run". they work fine out of my phone and laptop, with and without an amp. iv only just got these so i dont want to say too much, i dont think theres much of a difference between amped and un-amped, but i havnt had the time to test this properly because of an ear infection that makes listening to music a little painful. theyr not THAT bass heavy i dont think, but theyr not neutral by any means. im enjoying them very very much, even if it is for only short intervals : p

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 17
Your PC is going to drown out all the fidelity of any open headphones. Definitely get something closed. The DT770s won't do you wrong. They might have big bass, but they sound great regardless. I'd definitely go for those. Get yourself an E10 or E11, E17 if you want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I loved my DT880s and from what I've read the DT770s don't sound too much different, they just have more bass and a little less clarity, which is still great. Despite what adamir said, I think they would definitely benefit from an amp. It's not just about volume, but about dynamics. You'll get better air between notes, tighter bass, that sort of thing. Do yourself a favor and get an amp if you're going to get headphones above $100. It's worth it.

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Your PC is going to drown out all the fidelity of any open headphones. Definitely get something closed. The DT770s won't do you wrong. They might have big bass, but they sound great regardless. I'd definitely go for those. Get yourself an E10 or E11, E17 if you want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. I loved my DT880s and from what I've read the DT770s don't sound too much different, they just have more bass and a little less clarity, which is still great. Despite what adamir said, I think they would definitely benefit from an amp. It's not just about volume, but about dynamics. You'll get better air between notes, tighter bass, that sort of thing. Do yourself a favor and get an amp if you're going to get headphones above $100. It's worth it.

If my PC would truly interfere I will go for closed no doubt, I can't have that. I actually leaned somewhat towards the DT770s, they simply seemed to fit what I was out for a bit more. I am just a bit worried that the sound quality won't be as good as in the 598's. However I am no audiophile by ANY means, I'm not sure I would even notice if it was worse in quality compared to HD598's. 

I think i'll just go for the DT770's and use them straight in the jack for a while. Then get a dac/amp further down the line depending on how I feel I need it. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 17
I just got the DT770 a week ago at Best Buy and have been enjoying them immensely with my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever. Bass is very nice and a few times i actually had to look around the room because i thought someone was knocking on the door or stomping around on the floor only to find out it was the amazing bass sound of the DT770. Treble and midrange are also all there giving me a speaker like quality at times thanks to the soundstage which seems to pop up out of nowhere. They are extremely comfortable with their velour type cushioned pads which gave me some unexpected great isolation i didnt expect. So far they've been great for rock,death metal, industrial, new wave, classical and computer games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim, Borderlands 2 etc.

Definitely worth the money.

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
I just got the DT770 a week ago at Best Buy and have been enjoying them immensely with my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo reciever. Bass is very nice and a few times i actually had to look around the room because i thought someone was knocking on the door or stomping around on the floor only to find out it was the amazing bass sound of the DT770. Treble and midrange are also all there giving me a speaker like quality at times thanks to the soundstage which seems to pop up out of nowhere. They are extremely comfortable with their velour type cushioned pads which gave me some unexpected great isolation i didnt expect. So far they've been great for rock,death metal, industrial, new wave, classical and computer games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim, Borderlands 2 etc.

Sounds excellent! Comfort is essential to me and I can't seem to get much better than these. 

Any opinion how they fare in movies? Good to know about the games. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Sounds excellent! Comfort is essential to me and I can't seem to get much better than these. 

Any opinion how they fare in movies? Good to know about the games. 

I havent watched too many movies on these yet. The ones i have are pretty old horror movies from the 1970s and earlier so i dont think it would be a good comparison. With movie soundtracks though that i use with my computer games they make them sound like totally new songs as if i was listening to five hundred dollar speakers (not that i've heard speakers in that price range). Am pretty sure something like Star Wars or Avatar would sound awesome.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 17
The soundstage of the DT770s probably won't be as great as the HD598s, but they fare reasonably well regardless. Make sure you get the 80ohm version of the DT770s, otherwise the dynamics might not be as great as they could be as if you got an E11. They will shine with an amp. The DT880s were incredibly comfortable and I wish I could get their comfort with the sound of my HE-400s, which are probably twice as heavy.

Yeah, definitely get the DT770s.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 17
I havent watched too many movies on these yet. The ones i have are pretty old horror movies from the 1970s and earlier so i dont think it would be a good comparison. With movie soundtracks though that i use with my computer games they make them sound like totally new songs as if i was listening to five hundred dollar speakers (not that i've heard speakers in that price range). Am pretty sure something like Star Wars or Avatar would sound awesome.

Ok! Can't wait to try my new Avengers blu ray with the.

The soundstage of the DT770s probably won't be as great as the HD598s, but they fare reasonably well regardless. Make sure you get the 80ohm version of the DT770s, otherwise the dynamics might not be as great as they could be as if you got an E11. They will shine with an amp. The DT880s were incredibly comfortable and I wish I could get their comfort with the sound of my HE-400s, which are probably twice as heavy.

Yeah, definitely get the DT770s.

Awesome, I am sure they will sound outstanding to me! I put in a order for them straight away. Thanks for the help everyone.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 17
Get the Asus Xonar DG ($26, PCI) or DGX ($41, PCI-E) sound card.
Come with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Headphone 5.1 surround sound.
Chances are it has a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then your motherboards.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

DT770 at Best Buy? nice

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 17
I just picked up my DT770, have just listened to them briefly but already they are much clearer sounding than my old phones. The comfort is something out of this world, I hardly feel like I have headphones on. Now I am really excited to get a dac/amp.

Quote:
Get the Asus Xonar DG ($26, PCI) or DGX ($41, PCI-E) sound card.
Come with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Headphone 5.1 surround sound.
Chances are it has a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) then your motherboards.

I think I may actually do that! Thanks.

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
DT770 at Best Buy? nice

I have two nearby locations within traveling distance which stock headphones. The one inside the mall with a Guitar Center usually has the best stuff. They even have some three hundred dollar AKG's aswell as tons of studio type equipment. I've gotten the majority of my headphones from Best Buy and Amazon since getting into the hobby three years ago thanks to slowly adapting to my environment with a cranky old constantly complaining neighbor who thankfully moved away earlier this year. Learned alot of lessons from that like being nice is much better then getting caught up in noise wars.

@Atwa great to hear your enjoying the DT770. Party on :D

Oct 16, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I have two nearby locations within traveling distance which stock headphones. The one inside the mall with a Guitar Center usually has the best stuff. They even have some three hundred dollar AKG's aswell as tons of studio type equipment. I've gotten the majority of my headphones from Best Buy and Amazon since getting into the hobby three years ago thanks to slowly adapting to my environment with a cranky old constantly complaining neighbor who thankfully moved away earlier this year. Learned alot of lessons from that like being nice is much better then getting caught up in noise wars.

@Atwa great to hear your enjoying the DT770. Party on :D

HAHA yea I was just surprised best buy had them. I think I got most of my headphones from amazon because of 2 day shipping with prime, and some I bought used. Best Buy here just has beats, beats, more beats, and some bose. They had one sennheiser, but it was a cheap 30 dollar pair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back