dt770 has barely any bass?
Jul 3, 2008 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

NewCents05

New Head-Fier
well i bought the dt770 expecting it to have a crazy amount of bass because i am a basshead but i just got them and im not impressed at all with them, i have them powered through a cmoy amp and off my laptop sound card but my old sennheiser hd212 pro had much louder and cleaner bass. is there a ridiculous burn in period for these or something? this is def not satisfying my needs so i need help on what i need to do.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 41
Does your DT770 have a volume control on the cord? If it does...you got the suck version....AKA DT770M. It's meant for drummers so it has NONE.

Otherwise, if your hd212 has more bass and you DON'T have the volume control on the cord...yours is definitely defective. Return it and swap it out. Cause even straight out of a shuffle, you should have bigger bass than an hd212.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 41
I don't know about that. I have the DT770 Pro/600 and DT770 '05/250 and I agree that they don't have much bass. I would say that my DT990 has more bass. Then again, I would also say that my HFI-780 has the most bass of all, which most people here would disagree with.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 41
Toss that CMOY out (or sell it off). The 0.1uF caps are not enough and they're BC (meh, decent but could be A LOT better). I'm also really not a fan of OPA2227 with almost any headphone, especially DT770, muddies the bass too much.

Do you know how to solder? I can send you a MUCH nicer CMOY kit, just add case.

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 41
3 things to consider here...first of all you'll definitely get more bass as burn-in continues, second, a more powerful amp will give you a little more bass and better quality bass, thirdly, the hd212 is pretty bassy, so i'm not surprised you feel the dt770s are lacking. the 770s have a lot of potential, their drivers are far superior to those of the hd212s. if you feel even after burn-in and switching amps/sources that the bass isn't enough for you, you bass boost or use an equalizer (foobar has a good software eq) to increase the lower frequencies. the 770 will respond better to eq'ing than the hd212.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 41
for 100 bucks more than the hd212s i was expecting alot more. wow well im completely unsatisfied with this bass... even if it does get a little better its def not even close to what i was expecting. the bass on the hd212 pros is probably the best ive heard for the money so i was assuming these would blow them out of the water but as of right now the hd212s are still the better buy.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 41
Last time I tried the HD212 (a few years ago), they sounded pretty terrible actually. They had completely bloated and uncontrolled bass (aka fart monsters); you're not likely to get that amount (or type) of bass moving more high-end. I would definitely recommend doing something about your amp. You should also consider that your laptop on-board isn't a very clean source. You're probably thinking that upgrading headphones will result in more bass, but keeping an onboard source with a mediocre amp and upgrading the headphones just isn't going to be a linear "upgrade" in sound quality.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last time I tried the HD212 (a few years ago), they sounded pretty terrible actually. They had completely bloated and uncontrolled bass (aka fart monsters); you're not likely to get that amount of bass moving more high-end. I would definitely recommend doing something about your amp. What's your source as well?

I've had the HD212 too, and you're right - they're terrible. I've only heard the DT770 Pros for a short amount of time, but I could easily tell the bass is much, much better than the HD212's bass.

To OP: Your pair must be defective or something dude, because the DT770 Pros are definitely the better headphones.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 41
I have both the hd212 and the dt770's. The bass is comparable when I'm using them unamped with my mp3 or pc, actually the hd212 might hit just a bit harder. But when I really push them the difference is much different. At high volumes the dt's won't distort like the 212's. Also the overall listening experience is way better in my opinion with the dt770's. But yeah, if your just listening for the bass, you may not hear a huge difference until it's powered up and at higher volumes.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 41
ill talk to the ebay seller and see if he will allow me to switch out the pair, they dont seem defective though, the bass is def there its just not as loud as the hd212s and it sounds fine in every other aspect but ill ask to change them out anyway cause i prefer my hd212s over this atm. my source is my laptop lenovo y410 has some kind of realtek audio sound card i believe.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #13 of 41
It seems the OP prefer BLOATED like fart bass of HD212.

The quantity of those may on par, but DT770's is way deeper and tighter.
However, you need good amp to make them shine, too.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpq3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the hd212 and the dt770's. The bass is comparable when I'm using them unamped with my mp3 or pc, actually the hd212 might hit just a bit harder. But when I really push them the difference is much different. At high volumes the dt's won't distort like the 212's. Also the overall listening experience is way better in my opinion with the dt770's. But yeah, if your just listening for the bass, you may not hear a huge difference until it's powered up and at higher volumes.

see the thing is, im not looking to go deaf so i dont want to crank it up to higher volumes because then the mids and highs get unbearable and will cause my to go deaf. i just want the bass to be cranked up and leave the mids and highs at a moderate level.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by NewCents05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ill talk to the ebay seller and see if he will allow me to switch out the pair, they dont seem defective though, the bass is def there its just not as loud as the hd212s and it sounds fine in every other aspect but ill ask to change them out anyway cause i prefer my hd212s over this atm. my source is my laptop lenovo y410 has some kind of realtek audio sound card i believe.

bud, the impedance on HD212 is about 32ohm while your new DT770 is 80ohm.

As others and I mentioned, get the new amp, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back