dt770 has barely any bass?
Jul 4, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #16 of 41
Well, i just baught my Dt770 from exactly the same seller as you.
I also own a pair of Hd212 pro and i've tested them both amped (iBasso D2 boa) and unamped.
I've to admit i'm a little disappointed with the Dt770. I was expecting much more. I currently dont feel any difference if i use them throw my motherboard soundcard or throw the iBasso.

As for the bass, they are definitly less puchy than my Hd212 but i prefer them overall cause they are deeper and also smoother.

Well.. Maybe i should think about getting a pair of HD595 or ATh-Ad700. I dunno what to do atm.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 41
DT770 should be driven by home amp not potable amp.

You should differentiate "can drive" and "drive well." too.

@Ssang: if you expect to hear bass more than HD212, stick with DT770 and find the good amp is the best way.

or you can take a look at HD650, but in the same case, you need good amp, too.

HD595 and AD700 are not as bassy as DT770 and HD650, so don't waste your money for those.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #18 of 41
Yeah i know those cans arent bass monster. But i heard the HD555 of a friend and i just loved the soundstage and the immersion in the music.
Thats two different kind of headphone and ive to listen to them more in order to make my own opinion.

Offtopic:
@Wittyz What amp would you consider for the Dt770 and desktop use ?
My configuration should be like this: X-fi > [Optionnal amp or Dac/Amp combo] > Dt770.

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #19 of 41
@Ssang: I don't have much experience with the DT770 and the budget amp. From my exp., Little Dot amp is one I've tried and think it's a good combo for the price.

You may ask about this in the Amp forum. It must be more helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

Once you get amps, you can look for DAC next.
wink.gif

ps. if you like HD555 and bass, HD650 may your cup of tea. It sounds a bit darker but not too bad esp. you owned and like HD212.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by WittyzTH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems the OP prefer BLOATED like fart bass of HD212.

The quantity of those may on par, but DT770's is way deeper and tighter.
However, you need good amp to make them shine, too.
wink.gif

agreed, it seems to me the OP just prefers bloated bass, oh well, to each his own. unfortunately, this means that he won't like most high-end headphones, especially since the source and amp are not up to snuff.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #21 of 41
Lol, yeah, buy a more expensive amp. And when that makes little to no difference, buy expensive cables. Then when that makes no difference, buy an expensive power cable. And ofcourse, whatever you don't like about the sound, the opposite of it will happen with burn-in. If it's bloated, it'll settle down. If it's anaemic, it'll increase.

...or you just have different taste in bass to many of the people here.

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, yeah, buy a more expensive amp. And when that makes little to no difference, buy expensive cables. Then when that makes no difference, buy an expensive power cable. And ofcourse, whatever you don't like about the sound, the opposite of it will happen with burn-in. If it's bloated, it'll settle down. If it's anaemic, it'll increase.

...or you just have different taste in bass to many of the people here.

i see whachu did thar

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #23 of 41
He's right though. No amp is going to make you think DT770s have lots of bass if you think they have none unamped. The stock DT770s have a large hump in the bass, and very few if any "high end" cans are going to have a more extreme hump there.

What's actually the case is that you're looking for an abnormal amount of bass. The way to get this is EQ with cans that won't distort terribly when pushed, such as DT770s.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #24 of 41
I think we have an official rule that if you don't think that any form of the DT770 has enough bass, you're officially branded a basshead, right?

Edit: Either that or a car audio goon who is deaf below 120hz.

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #25 of 41
If the OP only talk about no bass on DT770, I wouldn't say amp it.

Also, he mention he need to crank the volume up to hear it. So amping DT770 would be the choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

or just return it and stick with HD212.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewCents05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see the thing is, im not looking to go deaf so i dont want to crank it up to higher volumes because then the mids and highs get unbearable and will cause my to go deaf. i just want the bass to be cranked up and leave the mids and highs at a moderate level.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #26 of 41
OP - If you're not happy, chances are pretty good a new amp isn't going to change your mind. The real thing here is we can critique your tastes, but if it sounds good to you chances are pretty good it's good for you.

If you're willing to go higher in price the Ultrasone 650's have pretty major bass of their own, but like anything I'd recommend at this point TRY them first. Your local audioshop has lots of options... try them all and figure out what you like and then you can make an informed descision.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #28 of 41
Newcents, don't give up yet. I too bought the DT 770's new and was initially disappointed with the bass. I put it back in the box ready to sell them but then I felt I should give them some burn in time. Lo and behold they started coming around after about 20 hrs of burn in! Give them some time before you dismiss them and later an amp will make them shine even more.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #29 of 41
Gett'em WittyTH, I agree what you are saying!

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #30 of 41
The reason you need to turn up the DT770 is because of the impedance. VERY simply speaking, it takes more power to get it to the same volume level.

And as stated, with a GOOD amp, the DT770's can have MONSTER bass without it being deafening. It comes down to a GOOD amp. A cmoy is a good start, but is 100000% positively your bottleneck in your system, and I don't even know what your source is, lol.

Buy a good amp, any listed in the review in my sig will do, and it'll be good to go. Heck, if I ever get my amp back from kpeezy, I'll give it to you it only gets better.

Your opinion will change. Just know NO HEADPHONE can give you the bass a home system or car can. Headphones just can't move that much air. So if that's what you're after, you won't find it. You can come close though, but consider yourself lucky if you give up. I was like you once, wanting a massive amount of bass. Thousands of dollars later, I've found my sound preference has changed and my wallet is constantly empty because of this site. So consider this a warning, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back