DT770 Bass rattle
Feb 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Andeby

Head-Fier
Hey there!
When listening to music that has deep bass I always get a pretty bad rattling in my DT770's. On The Dark Knight OST - Why So Serious? the bass doesn't even sound like bass but like a rattling effect.
Plugging my much cheaper AKG K518DJ headphones into my Xonar Essence STX they reproduce the bass completely clean on the same track at much too high volumes, the Beyers start to rattle at volumes lower than my listening volumes and I wouldn't say it's very loud at all. Now I struggle to believe that a pair of AKG K518DJ's reproduce cleaner bass than the DT770's, and I struggle to believe that the Beyers are supposed to be like that.

I have opened them to check for hairs several times, only a few days ago at the latest, always find some but after removing them it doesn't improve.

Anyone ever experience anything like this? Any suggestions as to what can be the cause of the issue? The issue has been present for as long as I can remember but I don't normally have trouble with it as it seems to be specific to the deeper bass, not all bass. Still it is very annoying to have this rattling appear whenever there's some deep bass, and it's obvious something is wrong.

Thanks,
-Andeby

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 2
So I searched for this issue again and surprisingly I found quite a bit of info this time while having found nothing when searching earlier.

Firstly I tried giving the right ear some slaps as described in a thread on here, seems to have improved it but there's still rattle.

Secondly I opened them again to clean hairs but with a tweezer this time, and I took out the whole driver part to clean hair in areas I hadn't properly checked before. While I did find some tricky hairs that I got out, it didn't seem to do anything. :frowning2: And I cleaned every hair I could find without ripping off glued filt.

I read a suggestion for fixing this issue on Grados, just playing something bassy at loud volumes for a while. Is this something worth trying on my Beyers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back