DT770 bass from an open can?
Aug 25, 2005 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Factor

500+ Head-Fier
I've never heard the DT770's but I hear they have bass that shakes the crap out of your ass. I'm looking for a similar sensation but in an open model. Is this possible?

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 14
Yes, the DT990 is an open version of the DT770. It's one of my favorite cans, and rewired with Cardas it's fantastic. Not quite as much bass as the DT770s though as it's open but still plenty.

Rock on basshead
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

Also if you have mucho dinero the Grado PS-1 has loads of bass and much more impact than the 770/990.

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 14
I'd look to the 990 before the PS-1, considering I have exactly zero dollars set aside for this purchase.

And technically you should be telling me something like "roll on" or "keep grindin'" instead of "rock on," because this question was prompted by my trying to listen to David Banner on my 531's with little success.

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 14
The darth beyer 770 woodies with screens are VERY good at bass and are open...I liked mine, but felt the call of the fuzz...

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
Woodies? PS1's?

See my signature where it says "Team College Budget?"

you could always take a dremel to your cups and carve out a hole - modding is fun! how's that for an inexpensive alternative? and if you screw up maybe ask larry if he has a few spare plastic DT770 cups lying around, he probably does hehe.

Aug 25, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
if you need your beetch slapped up then try Melos sha (carlo modded)+Ps-1+flats.

Jahn knows what I am talking about. Doing it hardcore style.
rs1smile.gif
basshead.gif

that ain't going to the fuzz side and enjoying the fuzz. that's meeting the Fuzzy Emperor and having him send 3 billion bolts of Fuzz right into your 'nads.

Aug 25, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 14
I don't have 770's. I just want some open cans that will bang out the lowest registers like I'm rollin' with 14's in the club parking lot, expressway, whatever.

Aug 25, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 14
so then what do you expect, for budget bass phones go with the 212's. got mine for 85 CDN. not open though. although your portapros are probably the best budget open bass phones. or maybe the other headphones from the KSC line. im not sure about the HD497 but theyre the open version of the 212's. heard that they have the bass also and are open but sound different because of that.

Aug 25, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #13 of 14
Just out of curiousity: why the open requirement? Based on your original post, I have a suspicion that you're not going to get as much bass as you're are looking for in an open can.

Aug 25, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Factor
I don't have 770's. I just want some open cans that will bang out the lowest registers like I'm rollin' with 14's in the club parking lot, expressway, whatever.

LOL... Ive never seen a 14" sub... not for car audio anyways
biggrin.gif
. I think youre reading into it too much, yes the DT770 is bassy but no where near a good car audio system, and it certainly wont rattle your *****, unless you wear it as a belt.

Not really sure what your budget is?? So heres a rundown of some of the bassier cans I have heard and their price.

KSC75, $20. Best under $60 can IMHO. Great all around performer, not just bass. Easily modded to near SR60 levels.

MDRV6, $70, Stout bass impact. Bass impact tends to overwhelm sub bass extension a little. Recessed from 350-900 Hz, Boosted highs from around 3500Hz on up, can be harsh, and revealing. No soundstage. Designed for monitoring, its strengths as a minitor are its weaknesses as a hi fi can.

SR60, $75 , good bass impact. lacks extension of the higher grados, but it certainly has enough extension for most. Fun can, forward mids but no where near as harsh as the V6. Doesnt have the lower midrange recession of the V6. Sweet guitar tones.

K240s-55, $80, My fave under $100 can. Bass impact and extension. Smooth mids, mids are more tame than the SR60, but yet still dynamic. Very warm overall. IMHO ~80% of a DT770 at less than half the price, and slightly smoother mids.

Well... there are my oppinions. Let me know if you want my impressions of higher cans... HD580, DT770, MS2.. more of my favs

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back