DT770-80 versus MDR-7506?
Apr 13, 2005 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently enjoying my portable setup, which includes a Panasonic SL-CT570 pcdp, Porta Corda MkII and Sony MDR-7506's. I've been itching to see if the Beyer DT770-80 has good synergy with the Porta Corda. I used to have the DT770-80, but sold them back around Christmas to have $ for Christmas gifts.

Would it be worth jumping from the 7506's back over to the Beyers? I didn't have the Porta Corda at the the time I originally owned the DT770-80. I've noticed that the Porta Corda sounds very "big", and quite a good match with the 7506's-- they no longer sound too bright, like they're known to sound sometimes. They just sound very big and crisp. I keep thinking "if the 7506's sound this good w/ the PC, then the Beyers would sound even better, right?"

Unfortunately the max I can spend out of pocket right now is about $100, so I'd need to sell the 7506's to get the Beyers.... is it worth it? Will there be a big increase in sound? I remember the DT770's having a pretty big soundstage for a closed headphone. Paired with the big sound of the PC, that may lead to quite the satisfying result.

I'm just not sure I want to shell out $100 if it's not going to be a good leap over the current setup, which is already quite pleasing.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 24
I've got the 770-250 and the v6 sitting side by side on my desk right now, that I use with my SuperMacro V1. I would say that the upgrade is definitely worth doing. I find the beyers less fatiguing to listen to, the highs less abrasive, the lows harder hitting. The beyers are the logical replacement for the V6s (or 7506s) because they're very similar sounding cans, only the beyers are more refined sounding.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #3 of 24
IMHO yes...

The DT770-80 doesnt have the 3khz midrange resonance/harshness. Its sub-bass extends further, and its 200-900 recession is not as severe. Soundstage is broader. Its a more subtle can, quiet vocal passages remain quiet while Sammy Hagar's f-sharp screeches blast your eardrums with authority. IMHO the V6/7506 is a VERY "in-your face" can... it takes everything and thrusts it front-center stage. Sammy's F-sharp screeches are painfull on a V6. IMHO the V6 is a more revealing can though, and demands a cleaner recording. IMHO the 770 is more foregiving for poor recordings.

Despite that... I still prefer the V6 for its portability, and IMHO its midrange presence works well in cars and lightrail trains (IE noisy environments).

IMHO the V6s flaws as a music hi-fi can are its strengths as a field monitor.

My amps are an edcor HA400 and audio technica HA2

**edit**
I re-read your post... Should you sell the V6 for the 770? Thats a tough call. If you base it strictly on home use, then yes the DT770 is a great step up. If however you are using them portably or have gone out of your way to make high quality recordings then... its a little tougher than that.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IMHO yes...

The DT770-80 doesnt have the 3khz midrange resonance/harshness. Its sub-bass extends further, and its 200-900 recession is not as severe. Soundstage is broader. Its a more subtle can, quiet vocal passages remain quiet while Sammy Hagar's f-sharp screeches blast your eardrums with authority. IMHO the V6/7506 is a VERY "in-your face" can... it takes everything and thrusts it front-center stage. Sammy's F-sharp screeches are painfull on a V6. IMHO the V6 is a more revealing can though, and demands a cleaner recording. IMHO the 770 is more foregiving for poor recordings.

Despite that... I still prefer the V6 for its portability, and IMHO its midrange presence works well in cars and lightrail trains (IE noisy environments).

IMHO the V6s flaws as a music hi-fi can are its strengths as a field monitor.

My amps are an edcor HA400 and audio technica HA2

**edit**
I re-read your post... Should you sell the V6 for the 770? Thats a tough call. If you base it strictly on home use, then yes the DT770 is a great step up. If however you are using them portably or have gone out of your way to make high quality recordings then... its a little tougher than that.

Well, the Porta Corda definitely makes the 7506's sound less harsh, actually it's the best I've ever heard the V6/7506's sound, which is great.

It is a tough call, because the 7506's are great when I want to stuff everything into a headroom bag and go, whereas the Beyers would be harder to do that with. Plus when I decide to go unamped with my iPod Mini, the 7506's sound great unamped with it, and I have a feeling that the Beyers would really not be pushed to their potential with the iPod (even the 80 ohm DT770's that I'd be looking at). The 7506's are easier to drive in that respect.

Aaaargh, still not sure what to do. Perhaps I should just wait until I have some extra $$$, then worry about it then, and just be content with the Sonys for now?

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 24
If worse come to worse, just flip a coin. And if it doesn't come out the way you want, keep flipping until it does.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Well, the Porta Corda definitely makes the 7506's sound less harsh, actually it's the best I've ever heard the V6/7506's sound, which is great.

It is a tough call, because the 7506's are great when I want to stuff everything into a headroom bag and go, whereas the Beyers would be harder to do that with. Plus when I decide to go unamped with my iPod Mini, the 7506's sound great unamped with it, and I have a feeling that the Beyers would really not be pushed to their potential with the iPod (even the 80 ohm DT770's that I'd be looking at). The 7506's are easier to drive in that respect.

Aaaargh, still not sure what to do. Perhaps I should just wait until I have some extra $$$, then worry about it then, and just be content with the Sonys for now?

Hmm... Maybe a mod is in order. Fabricate a mount so the Beyer earcups and "Y" assembly can attach to the V6 hinge mechanism. Both the V6 and Beyer use metal parts... Ooh that'd be something...

Ive got an unused V6 "shell" laying around. Just the earcups + headband but no drivers/pads... Now you got me thinking...

Garrett

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 24
Or an even quicker mod for me is to just get the beyer velour pads for the 7506's.... since I really like the sound, I'd have the comfort of the Beyers (albeit the 250's, not the 770's), and only be out about $26...

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 24
Currently listening to my 770's/AV710/Classic and for now i'm in aural bliss - Where are the sibilant highs and wooly bass i keep reading about? - none here thats for sure
smily_headphones1.gif
Nothing i've owned previously had the ability to move my feet like these do! And they sound respectable straight out of my iPod mini
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
And they sound respectable straight out of my iPod mini
tongue.gif

Dang, don't tell me that!

Apr 13, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 24
youre not going to want to hear this either....

Im one of the few on this forum who really dont think the 770-80 needs a deticated amp to sound good. My denon 5.1 receiver is plenty powerful to push them. Although straight out of my MP3 player... needs an amp.

The ipod is rumored to have a very robust headphone circuit... should work well with the 770-80

very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Garrett

Apr 13, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #12 of 24
you guys are killin' me!

It's not like I don't like the 7506/Porta Corda sound, because I do... I just need to wait until I have some extra bucks to shell out, rather than abuse the credit card by another $100 or so....

Apr 13, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 24
after much of the influence from you guys, I took my ipod and Cmoy to the local guitar center and strapped down for some listening. first, let me say the guy working there was very easy to talk down to $150 (sorry!). I guess i really expected shake my universe bass, and i didnt get it. Dont be mislead, straight out of the ipod is $150 of a waste of your money. I have sony V6's, and they were almost comparable to the T sonically, but the Beyers sealed better and were way more comfy(and i have beyer pads on V6's). But, on the positive side, when i turned the gain all the way up on the CMoy, and put the ipod dangerously close to full volume, i heard the touch of awesome bass. mind you a little distorted, i think these cans need a good, hard amp do get your ground shattering bass. that being said, i recently purchased a better non-portable amp and will soon return to the GC with $150 plus tax.

basshead.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 24
The cord is a bit long for portable use, and without an amp they can get a bit boomy. However other than that I can't find any problems with them.

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmb367
that being said, i recently purchased a better non-portable amp and will soon return to the GC with $150 plus tax.

Actually, since so many people were buying them for $150 instead of $200, they put a cap in their computers that prevents them from selling them for under the full retail price. So even if the sales person will go down to $150 they won't be able to give it you for that price. So expect to pay $200 + tax for them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Currently listening to my 770's/AV710/Classic and for now i'm in aural bliss - Where are the sibilant highs and wooly bass i keep reading about? - none here thats for sure
smily_headphones1.gif
Nothing i've owned previously had the ability to move my feet like these do! And they sound respectable straight out of my iPod mini
tongue.gif

I completely agree with everything in your post. I actually think that they sounded pretty d*mn good with an iPod Mini I had on lone a while back, very musical. My EMU 0404 goes very well with my DT770's, so you should look into that as an upgrade path from your AV-710. Also, I noticed you have AD86*0 opamps in your Classic. I used to have an AD8620 in my (version 1) Classic but I've found that a Burr Brown OPA134 has better synergy with my system (although it does put a slight veil over the highs). You might want to pick up some for some opamp rolling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back