DT 990 with O2 amp
Oct 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Incrementum

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

After upgrading to Windows 8.1 and having my Creative drivers **** all over me, I've decided to just get rid of the sound card once and for all.  I have the 250ohm DT 990's and an O2 amp.  What kind of DAC would I need to buy to replace the Titanium HD sound card?  I just want to be able to plug it into my motherboard and forget about the software.  Creative drivers are terrible.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm assuming you have no interest in gaming and just want something for music?

Hifimediy Sabre U2, USB DAC, $55 plus shipping.
http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=123

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 10
I actually use them mostly for gaming. I'm just sick of the sound card...I don't want to have to deal with the extra software anymore.

Usually PC gaming and PC sound cards go hand in hand.
You could enable the motherboard's on-board sound card.
Would be enabled in the BIOS.
And update to the latest drivers.
And plug the O2 amplifier straight into the motherboard's line-out/headphone jack.

There is the Asus Xonar DX & D1 sound cards, used $65,
good DAC chip, CS4398.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 10
And plug the O2 amplifier straight into the motherboard's line-out/headphone jack.

good DAC chip, CS4398.

Will I notice much of a difference between the on-board sound and my Titanium HD? This will be with the O2 amp being plugged in directly to the headphone jack on my motherboard.

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 10

good DAC chip, CS4398.

Will I notice much of a difference between the on-board sound and my Titanium HD? This will be with the O2 amp being plugged in directly to the headphone jack on my motherboard.

The Titanium HD comes with a really good DAC chip, the PCM1794.
and motherboard's usually comes with very low costing DAC features.
So, yea, there will be a drop in audio quality when you remove the Titanium HD.
(The Xonar DX/D1 will be a fair bit better then on-board and also most as good audio qulaity as the Titanium HD)
When you installed the Titanium HD, did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? (in the BIOS)
Did you try doing a fresh install for the Creative software?

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 10
The Titanium HD comes with a really good DAC chip, the PCM1794.
and motherboard's usually comes with very low costing DAC features.
So, yea, there will be a drop in audio quality when you remove the Titanium HD.
(The Xonar DX/D1 will be a fair bit better then on-board and also most as good audio qulaity as the Titanium HD)
When you installed the Titanium HD, did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio? (in the BIOS)
Did you try doing a fresh install for the Creative software?

Yes I had my on-board audio turned off until yesterday when I upgraded to Windows 8.1. There is currently no driver support for the Titanium HD on Windows 8.1 and I'm just getting sick of having to deal with Creative in general. I will try the O2 to on-board tonight and see if I notice any major differences. I don't even really like the sound card features like CMSS-3D...it makes everything sound muddled to me.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #8 of 10
I think the sound quality took a very small hit and the volume isn't as loud, but other than that I don't think there's a huge difference. I may just keep this setup unless I want to add a better DAC. I'm not sure if that would benefit me for gaming though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back