DT 990 Pro 250Ohm without amp?
Jan 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Maker

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, so i´m going to buy dt 990 pro but currently i only own Steelseries USB Soundcard. So my question is how will they sound without amp ? I´m going to buy amp/new soundcard at my birthday 3.3. Will the sound be alot better with amp? Thank you

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 8
The sound will not be a lot better with an amp, but you may hear tighter bass and little more instrument separation.  An amp really should not change the sound quality of a headphone.  An amp should be basically a "wire with gain".

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 8
I had a Beyer DT880 pro 250 ohm and I thought it sounded great even directly out of my phone. I used it for portable use, but I'm crazy like that. I was going to get an amp but had financial problems.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
The sound will not be a lot better with an amp, but you may hear tighter bass and little more instrument separation.  An amp really should not change the sound quality of a headphone.  An amp should be basically a "wire with gain".

hmm interesting, some people say opposite, that sound gets better. Thank you for your opinion though :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Hey, I have the DT990 Pro 250 unamped right now.
I'm planning on getting the E17; but in the meantime they're unamped.
They sound good, I was a bit underwhelmed when I first got them (compared to my Superlux HD661b) but after listening to them more more they sound great!
Very warm, some people complain about the highs being too bright (I honestly think in some moments they're not bright enough) great bass, mids are perfect for me and wonderful soundstage.
Apparently this should all improve more with an amp.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Hello, so i´m going to buy dt 990 pro but currently i only own Steelseries USB Soundcard. So my question is how will they sound without amp ? I´m going to buy amp/new soundcard at my birthday 3.3. Will the sound be alot better with amp? Thank you

Heya,

It'll be fine.

It'll get better with an amp (or soundcard with onboard amp).

Very best,

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 8
They won't be fine for what you're paying. I have a pair of DT990 32ohm and they sound dead, and closer to a set of ibuds without an amp. The 250ohm and pro version will be even worse off unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back