DT 990 PRO 250 vs SoundMAGIC HP100
Apr 23, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #19 of 28
So, I'm only 4 songs in but these are already jaw dropping. The details I could hear but had to hunt for in my M50s are very apparent just through regular listening. There is so much separation in the different sounds. The treble is quite sibilant but nicely detailed. I love the sparkly high end but I do agree it is a bit harsh. I've sampled some Two Door Cinema Club, Fall Out Boy, and some EDM so far (the harsh nature of the highs is especially apparent in EDM). I'm really impressed right off the bat with these. I can't wait to do some more listening and get an amp here shortly. I will update with further impressions but this is what I've observed in my 20 minutes or so. Bass is quite similar to my M50s so far, nice impact and extension.

Edit: Gee, I completely forgot about my first impressions on the comfort! The velour pads are just amazing, need I say more? I can't wait for the pads to break in, (as if they aren't comfy enough already.)

Edit (May 3rd - Further Impressions): About a week and a half later (and after acquiring a FiiO E07K amplifier) I am just blown away. If you are willing to invest in a good setup, I CANNOT recommend these headphones enough. They're so fast, energetic, colorful, and detailed. Running these through the amp is a night and day difference, I couldn't believe my ears. These headphones are beautifully crafted and so comfortable to wear and sonic performance is nothing short of breath taking. Maybe I am exaggerating because I only have ATH M50s and V Moda M80s to reference, but this is just a whole new step into audio that I have never taken before. I have never felt so satisfied with an audio related purchase in my life. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #20 of 28
  So, I'm only 4 songs in but these are already jaw dropping. The details I could hear but had to hunt for in my M50s are very apparent just through regular listening. There is so much separation in the different sounds. The treble is quite sibilant but nicely detailed. I love the sparkly high end but I do agree it is a bit harsh. I've sampled some Two Door Cinema Club, Fall Out Boy, and some EDM so far (the harsh nature of the highs is especially apparent in EDM). I'm really impressed right off the bat with these. I can't wait to do some more listening and get an amp here shortly. I will update with further impressions but this is what I've observed in my 20 minutes or so. Bass is quite similar to my M50s so far, nice impact and extension.

Edit: Gee, I completely forgot about my first impressions on the comfort! The velour pads are just amazing, need I say more? I can't wait for the pads to break in, (as if they aren't comfy enough already.)

Nice to hear you like your new headphones!
beyersmile.png

Most modern music is really compressed and can sound overly bright through DT990s, but this headphones really shine when paired with high quality (audiophile) recordings. Highs are upfront, with great transparency providing amazing detail retrieval, but hardly ever harsh or distorted when reproducing a well recorded and mastered album.

At the moment I'm listening to "Rain" by Hans Theessink Band - from their album called Bridges. 
(Laptop > Fiio E07K DAC > Yamaha A-S500 > DT 990 250 Ohm)
Believe me, only the best recordings out there make this headphones justice.

Happy Listening!

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #21 of 28
So, I'm only 4 songs in but these are already jaw dropping. The details I could hear but had to hunt for in my M50s are very apparent just through regular listening. There is so much separation in the different sounds.

The soundstage of open headphones for EDM is just awesome, isn't it? :)

Apr 23, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #22 of 28

Nice to hear you like your new headphones!
beyersmile.png

Most modern music is really compressed and can sound overly bright through DT990s, but this headphones really shine when paired with high quality (audiophile) recordings. Highs are upfront, with great transparency providing amazing detail retrieval, but hardly ever harsh or distorted when reproducing a well recorded and mastered album.

At the moment I'm listening to "Rain" by Hans Theessink Band - from their album called Bridges. 
(Laptop > Fiio E07K DAC > Yamaha A-S500 > DT 990 250 Ohm)
Believe me, only the best recordings out there make this headphones justice.

Happy Listening!

Oh yeah, I've certainly noticed how these headphones can sound more or less like my similar closed back headphones on certain songs, whereas my higher bitrate sound files that involve a lot of instrumental work really open the sound. Source material makes a larger impact on sound than any other headphone I've used so far. By the way, does that E07K work with a desktop PC as well as a portable MP3 player?

The soundstage of open headphones for EDM is just awesome, isn't it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Most definitely. It is so easy to hear all the small details without much effort. It really enhances the experience and makes my music all the more enjoyable :)

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #23 of 28
Fiio E07k works as DAC + Amp when plugged to a desktop PC or Laptop (via USB) and you can also use it with an mp3 player/smartphone (in this case Fiio E07k works only as an Amp - the digital to analog conversion is made inside the mp3/smartphone)

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #24 of 28
Fiio E07k works as DAC + Amp when plugged to a desktop PC or Laptop (via USB) and you can also use it with an mp3 player/smartphone (in this case Fiio E07k works only as an Amp - the digital to analog conversion is made inside the mp3/smartphone)

Okay, so I can use it both at my PC and portably. That's great! I think I'll definitely grab this in a few days, just going to research a bit more.

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #25 of 28
Most definitely. It is so easy to hear all the small details without much effort. It really enhances the experience and makes my music all the more enjoyable :)

You are definitely hooked, then. You'll never want to go back to closed headphones :)

As far as amps, the E07K is definitely a good value. But unless you are in a hurry, could be worthwhile to wait and save up some more money to get something even a bit better, such as the FiiO E17.

Apr 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #26 of 28
You are definitely hooked, then. You'll never want to go back to closed headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as amps, the E07K is definitely a good value. But unless you are in a hurry, could be worthwhile to wait and save up some more money to get something even a bit better, such as the FiiO E17.

Indeed, open headphones are just on another level. I'm just floored by these 990s. All my upgrades from here on out are going to be mostly open back (until my M50s or M80s run their course, they will serve their purpose well enough for years to come). By the way, thanks for amp suggestions.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #27 of 28
  Indeed, open headphones are just on another level. I'm just floored by these 990s. All my upgrades from here on out are going to be mostly open back (until my M50s or M80s run their course, they will serve their purpose well enough for years to come). By the way, thanks for amp suggestions.

Even better would be ALO Audio amps, either The Continental or The International. Then you would hear what a superior portable amp can do to headphones.

Dec 31, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #28 of 28
Do you feel they have enough bass for EDM? I'm considering these for an upgrade for my DT770 250 ohm. I'm gonna go with the Premium 600 ohm version though since it seems better. I'm probably gonna run it from Beyers own amp A20 or A1 and then some DAC.

Either DT990 Premium 600 ohm, TH600 or TH900. I dont really know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back