DT-880s a bit too bright; HD-650 or D2000?
Sep 17, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #46 of 54
Very hard to properly A/B headphones since I only have one set of ears and changing headphones takes time.

I've got both sets of cans running off a Y-adapter plugged into my amp. The HD600s play a bit louder, further frustrating my attempts at a clean comparison.

If I'm listening to the DT880s at optimal volume, the HD600s sound too loud without adjustment. On the other hand, if the volume is optimized for the HD600s, the DT880s are not loud enough.

Some of the things I didn't like about the DT880s at first are present (or absent) in the HD600s as well and may be entirely to blame on my sources and what I'm feeding them.

After settling into either pair of headphones for a short period, I find myself unable to form a clear preference. At that point, secondary considerations (price, looks, comfort) enter the picture and the price and comfort criteria favor the DT880s. Looks, for me, is a toss up. They both have their plusses and minuses.

If I keep the 880s, which direction should I head with DAC/CDP choice? Something less revealing/analytical and more musical, I suppose.

On the other hand, if I keep the HD600s or spend up a bit for the HD650s, perhaps I would want a "livelier" DAC and/or CDP to compensate for the darker presentation of the Senns and the fact that I'll be running them out of a tube amp.

Please discuss...

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #47 of 54
the spectacles issue does pose more of a problem with hd600 than the beyers. grip strength though can be easily solved by bending the metal strips extending from the headband.

Personally i feel dt880's soundstage is too wide and there isnt enough height or depth to go along with it... parts sound overly "separated" from each other and its not natural. Everything blends together much better with the hd600 and it sounds much more natural that way to me. However, instrument seperation is also much better on the dt880s because of this. And i can imagine some people would like dt880's kind of soundstage and/or even think its natural... its all up to personal preference and you have to decide for yourself what you want.

dt880s are faster; hd600s are slower. i found this very noticeable with tracks that have fast and congested passages/bass eg metal.

dt880s are harshier in the highs especially, and more sibiliant. IMO hd600s are much easier on the ears in these sections. but dt880s have more sparkle on the top end too... sparkle which i loved.

dt880s are more thin sounding; hd600s are thicker, "woolier", warmer.

I think they're quite different headphones and its hard to pick a winner because, well, they are different from each other. why not keep both? if you can afford to.

I went with the hd600s in the end because dt880s were too harsh for me. Thats before i got my tube amp tho. But i think hd600s are definitely more comfortable for long sessions soundwise. Dt880s have the best comfort yes but i'd take slightly aching ears over bleeding ears any day.

If i could handle listening to dt880s for hours without any discomfort, i think i would not have got the hd600s. I really love the dt880's sound despite their slight faults of being slightly thin sounding maybe... and a slightly dry midrange. Although that does enhance the clarity somewhat.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #48 of 54
Given I still have a week to decide, how would folks suggest I set about doing a comparison? As noted above, switching back and forth has its downsides because of the level matching/time lag issue. For a while I was using separate headphone amps to address the level matching issue, but then I wasn't sure whether the differences I was hearing were due to the cans themselves or the amps.

I'm thinking that perhaps I should trade off evenings with one pair and then the other, taking notes on what I like and don't like about each.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #49 of 54
Just grab HD650 and you wouldn't need careful A/Bing to hear their clear superiority.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, they are way too different to perform any sort of useful A/B. It's whether you prefer one signature or the other. Or better yet, keep both for their contrasting/complimenting qualities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McPanse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given I still have a week to decide, how would folks suggest I set about doing a comparison? As noted above, switching back and forth has its downsides because of the level matching/time lag issue. For a while I was using separate headphone amps to address the level matching issue, but then I wasn't sure whether the differences I was hearing were due to the cans themselves or the amps.

I'm thinking that perhaps I should trade off evenings with one pair and then the other, taking notes on what I like and don't like about each.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #50 of 54
Just to keep things interesting, I ordered the HD-650s today. Should be here by early next week. Sooner if I'm lucky.

In the meantime, I plan to trade off evenings with the DT880s and HD600s rather than constantly switch back and forth.
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yet they seem to be for sale in your sig. You are one restless headphone changer.
atsmile.gif

Liked it so MUCH I bought a spare. yes, a spare sitting in my closet unused. I figured I should use the money towards something I can use daily

Sep 20, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #52 of 54
The HD650s arrived this afternoon. Total burn-in time: about 5 hours.

Initial impression: Love 'em. These are keepers.

Among the three, I like the HD650s best, followed by the DT880s with the HD600s coming in last.

As much as I wanted to like the HD600s, they're just too honky and fatiguing to my ears. I'll be sending them back for sure.

I still have several more days before I have to send the DT880s back, so I will do some more listening and try to post a more detailed comparison later. But for now, I'll just say this: if headphones were wine, the DT880s would be a top-shelf white Burgundy whereas the HD650s are vintage Bordeaux.

Sep 20, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #53 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just grab HD650 and you wouldn't need careful A/Bing to hear their clear superiority.
biggrin.gif

I told you.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #54 of 54
I just sold a pair of d2000s to fund my dt880's. I play alot of games and I heard that these phones paired with a darkvoice 336 is a good starter rig. I wanted to get hd650s but everyone comments they lack a soundstage important for games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back