DT-880s a bit too bright; HD-650 or D2000?
Sep 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first of all, you don't think SA5000 has more bass that DT880?

More than 250, less than 600 Ohm. SA5000 mids are slightly recessed like on 250, 600 version has them evened out. Soundstage is bigger on both 250 and 600 Ohm version. SA5000 highs are quite brighter than 600 Ohm, don't have 250 version right now to compare directly with SA5000, but from memory they are probably on par.
Anyway, SA5000 are great phones with terrific details, but 600 Ohm DT880 is better if you are looking for something mellower.
Getting them as a replacement for 250 Ohm DT880 is akin to trading a mule for a donkey.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #33 of 54
Ah, the 600Ohm version. I heard some rave reviews about them but never got chance to hear them. Maybe that's where all the different conclusions.

to my ear, stock SA5000 has a tad more bass in terms of volume, more depth soundstage versus the 2D (from left to right) one of 880, high's are certainly much less bright than 880, which can be demonstrated easily with 's' in songs like Green Day's "Wake me up when September ends". So IMHO the difference is greater than that between a donkey and a mule.
wink.gif

Now my modded SA5000 has wayyyyyy more bass and deeper soundstage than stock, which makes it almost perfect for my taste.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #34 of 54
I find it irritating that to get a "Good" high end beyer you have to fork up the cash for the manufacture direct models.

I love the HD650, and don't find it overly bassy. Good detail without fatiguing treble.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have to go to the manufaktur site to get the 600 ohm version or is there another cheaper way?

Not really.

The '03 DT880s are the only ones I've owned, and I find them to be just about perfect. I'm trying to find another pair, but I'm also loving my Audio-Technicas as well.

DT880s are much cheaper than AD2000s but hard to find the '03 version... I dunno. I'm torn. AND I still need to replace my sold-off ER4P. 600ohm DT880s are about the same as AD2000s. And my current amp isn't that great for anything beyond Grados or ATs...

My purse is screaming in pain. D=

Sep 6, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip...fork up the cash...snip

As for every "high end" can out there. The 600ohm version requires better amps, so they are not mainstream due to this. Therefor Beyerdynamic can not mass produce them, and the price is thus increased.

This is exactly the same as other brands. SR60/80/225 vs RS1/2, HD555/595 vs HD600/650 (though HD600/650 is rather mainstream), AD700/900 vs W5000/AD2000. DT880/990 250ohm vs DT880/990 600ohm is exactly the same thing.

I do however agree that it's a shame that we can't get "high end" headphones cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #38 of 54
The OP here again. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I've had the DT-880s for a couple weeks now, often leaving them on overnight on the theory that burn in is real and appreciable and I can report this: the DT-880s offer a lot to admire. They are very clear and articulate and with well-recorded material do an admirable job with the low end. Depending on what I'm listening to, I either think they are super fantastic or leave a lot to be desired.

Anyway, I ordered a pair of HD-600s today more delivery Monday. I still have 2 weeks to return my DT-880s, so that leaves plenty of time for comparison without the corrupting pressure of having to make an immediate decision.

I'll be sure to post my impression and let everyone know what I think.

FWIW, I will be running both cans through a Little Dot MKIV with the stock tubes (off topic, but I'm ready to tube roll if anyone has suggestions. Not that there's anything wrong with the stock tubes, but I want to have something on hand in event of a failure so it might as well be something different, right?)

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #39 of 54
HD600s were waiting for me when I got home tonight. First impressions, the DT880s are going back. I'll post more after I have a chance to give them a good listen.

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #40 of 54
Sounds about right..........
smile.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #41 of 54
HD650 shines well with the right amp. The LD IV or III would a good entry amp to pair it with. the 650 does everything well, kind of like a jack-of-all-trades. not super stellar of anything in particular, but a great overall package of an HP

The DT880 is very detailed and can be unforgiving with the wrong source or material. Same with the 701. So feed it the proper source and it will reward you well.

I myself settled on the 650 b/c of the genre that I listen. I can't imagine myself switching HP's when going from jazz or classical, for example.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #42 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I myself settled on the 650 b/c of the genre that I listen.

Yet they seem to be for sale in your sig. You are one restless headphone changer.
atsmile.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for every "high end" can out there. The 600ohm version requires better amps, so they are not mainstream due to this. Therefor Beyerdynamic can not mass produce them, and the price is thus increased.

I'm sure they sell plenty to the broadcast/recording market. If the 600 ohm Beyers really were superior, why bother selling the 32 or 250 ohm versions? They 880 and 990 are meant to be top end dynamic headphones. Why on earth would there need to be a portable-powerable version?

If anything, it is a great excuse for Beyer to sell you a headphone amp, too.

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #44 of 54
Re: DT880 vs. HD600 -- First impressions aren't always lasting impressions...

On first listen, the HD600s struck me as the clear winner. Now I'm not so sure. The DT880s have the wider, more open soundstage and more natural sound.

Bass on the HD600s hits a little harder, but not necessarily better. I threw some AC/DC at them, figuring the HD600s would smoke the DT880s. That was not the case. Adjusting for the HD600s volume gain, the DT880s hung in there, providing just as rousing a performance as the 600s.

The HD600s give the leading edge of a guitar strum or drum kick a tad more punch, but the decay is somewhat foreshortened, less natural. Again, it's as if the sound stage is too constricted and a smartly struck note has to hastily exit the stage to make room for the next note to enter. Not enough room for the music to lounge about. Advantage DT-880s. Could it be those cushy silver velour earpads have something to do with it? They seem to invite lounging.

Speaking of those cushy silver velour earpads, a lot has been written on this forum about the 'death grip' Sennheisers are known for.

The grip is definitely tighter than the Beyers, yet not uncomfortable to my unremarkable noggin. That said, the HD600 ear pads have a smaller opening than the Beyers, which CAN be a comfort issue, especially if you wear glasses. There's a lot of contact with the ear, too much really. Call it 'inappropriate touching.' There's more room inside the Beyer's for your ear to breathe. More comfortable to wear sitting up or lying down. Easy to forget you are wearing headphones, especially since the music has a greater tendency to fill the room than they do with the HD600s.

I still have another week to make my choice, but like a closely contested election, the polls have again swung in favor of the Beyers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back