DT-880, straight from the factory
Jul 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KaptenKanna

New Head-Fier
There are no official distributors in sweden, and all the places that sell them don't have the right picture, or specify which edition it is. So I ordered them straight from Beyer in Germany. It turned out to be a wise decision, the price with shipping was the same as in sweden (305 euro total). And they delivered in 4 days, straight to my door! Awsome.

attachment.php

Now I've heard alot about how they come in this fancy aluminium box everywhere, but as you can see in my pic, I got a nice leather case instead =D

attachment.php

As for my a slightly shoddy picture of the actual phones, they look like no picture I have ever seen anywhere, except on Beyer's site. Allthough my pic makes it look like crap, there is a very nice plate on both sides that brag the fact that they are indeed DT-880's.

First impressions.. It sounds crap! =P My poor X-fi can't power them at all, I tried the headphone out on my Videologic Sirocco Spirit speakers (integrated amp), while the speakers are awsome in every way, the headphone out is not, it can power them to a very high volume, but it sounds turd. Spikes and distortions and whatnot.
I gave up on the PC and moved out to the livingroom, and plugged them into my NAD C315 BEE amp, which as it turns out has a very adequate phone out. I shoved in DIO - Holy Diver in my old trustworthy Pioneer DV-525 DVD (from the early DVD era, a very capable cd player, unlike many other dvd's).
It gave me shivers all over my poor body, all of those here I've seen saying the 880's are not good for rock, you can please cup your hands and prepare for landing.
I won't say much more about the sound, I haven't really gotten used to them yet, the sound is extremely neutral, which is something I like, and that I'm used to because of the abovementioned Sirocco's, who are more or less studio monitors.

The stock cable seems extremely shoddy to me, it's quite thin, and if you bend it, it stays bent. That sucker is going to be replaced real soon. Suggestions? I'm not interested in those expensive 'named' cables, just a sturdy one that lasts forever. And that fits the phones physically.
A cable with four parts might be a good idea, if I want to make them balanced one day, just replace the jack with a xlr. I have my eyes on the balanced Harmony Design EAR 90 amp =P

And the reason I decided that these were the phones I wanted, they are so comfortable you forget them 5 seconds after you put them on. I can imagine wearing these all day. I want to cuddle them at night.

Now I'm gonno rush down to the local hi-fi store and buy myself a Argon HA1 headphone amp, so I can use my PC properly =) I doubt any of you have ever heard of this amp, maybe I can be the first to review it harr harr. It's priced at about 140 euros.

Jul 31, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend getting a proper external DAC as well/instead of an amp. It'd probably make a bigger difference.

I know, I've been looking into amps with their own DAC, but the only ones I can find for sale in sweden are really expensive. The X-fi DAC is not to be shat upon though, it's quite capable =P So my decision to buy the Argon amp remains firm, but I am 100% sure I will replace it. Harmony Design also makes a DAC that would go well with their headphone amp, but we're talking alot of money in that case.
Any suggestion on a amp with dac is welcome, prefferably under 400 euros. Higher than that and it would have to be truly awsome...

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 11
X-Can v8. I'm not sure if the price in Sweden is under 400euro, but it would be worth while. This amp has very good synergy with the DT880 IMO. You can probably find it in a local shop and try it out.

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X-Can v8. I'm not sure if the price in Sweden is under 400euro, but it would be worth while. This amp has very good synergy with the DT880 IMO. You can probably find it in a local shop and try it out.

It's actually 370 euro =D I have heard of this amp several times, I didn't know it had a DAC, but I see this now. Allthough just usb seems strange. Does it need drivers? If it appears as a separate soundcard it's no good, I want to use the hardwarestuff in my x-fi, and as such a spdif input on the amp would have been prefferable. (So i get neat 3d sound for games, which works great and the crystallizer/48 upsampling for old records, but can go past the D/A)
In the largest price comparing site in sweden, the x-can v8 is actually in third place in rating, with the harmony design ear90 in first, they are more or less the same price. The problem is that there is only one local 'real' hifi store, and I'm guessing they only have the argon (since it's their own brand), but they are also listed as official dealers of Harmony. I guess I'll just have to go down there =P
The x-can is most definitively an option though.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 11
Well I went downtown and I bought this. Argon HA1

attachment.php

I consider it a temporary solution =P It isn't bad though, very sturdy construction, very compact, I am quite tempted to take it apart and have a look at it. It's too small to try and have a soldering/engineering party and make it balanced though. I have never tried any other amp so I can't say how good it is, but the improvement over having no amp is massive.

Now I hate my entire music collection, because it's all mostly <192 kbit mp3. I want to delete the whole thing, it all sounds like crap, haven't found a single exception yet. The x-fi crystallizer helps a bit, but it isn't enough..
I managed to get hold of some DTS audio cd's and that worked wonders. One of them was Fleetwood Mac - Rumours, the recording quality is awsome, not to mention that is a really great album. Found Black Sabbath's - Paranoid as well, but that wasn't so good, you could hear the drums were badly compressed, and there were lots of background noise.
But the argon amp and that Rumour dts album really made my day.
I am a happy person.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 11
Wow Argon stuff looks VERY similar to Firestone audio and Crossroads amps. Weird, perhaps they are of the same case designer..

Congrats with the new purchases
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, is it just me or does the "DT880" logo on the cup look all scratched up in the second picture?

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 11
It's possible, Argon is a brand made by(for) a swedish franchise called hifiklubben.se, I strongly doubt they make any of their stuff themselfs, and has companies that know what they are doing make them after their desired specs.

Thank you. Yeah I know! It looks nothing like that in real life, my phone must have a state of the art scratch detector.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 11
Congrats on the new cans!! I love my DT 770 (250 ohm 2005 version).

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow Argon stuff looks VERY similar to Firestone audio and Crossroads amps.

x2 Very nice.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaptenKanna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks nothing like that in real life, my phone must have a state of the art scratch detector.

Looks like it's just air underneath a protective film. I hate those protective films.

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We meet again Kees and I agree with you. I have both the Premium 250Ohm DT880 and the 600Ohm Manufaktur DT880 and both sound very good on the X-Can V8P.

I'd recommend this amp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back