DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm vs DT 880 Premium 600 Ohm
Apr 8, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #31 of 42
  It is not stock photo. The unit is definitely a Pro instead of Premium. It's pictured together with its box, which has a Beyerdynamic sticker on it with barcode and labelled DT 880 PRO / 600 ohm Studio headphone with cable. Are you aware if there's a Pro version of 600 ohm? Thanks :)

Sounds too elaborate to be a fake, and as I posted above, I'm fairly certain the Pro 600 ohm model was sold in some parts of the world, perhaps just not North America.

Maybe contact Beyerdynamic and ask them if the model exists?

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #32 of 42

Sounds too elaborate to be a fake, and as I posted above, I'm fairly certain the Pro 600 ohm model was sold in some parts of the world, perhaps just not North America.

Maybe contact Beyerdynamic and ask them if the model exists?

Alright, the guy provided me picture of the jack with 600 ohm written on it. And sinnottj, that link you gave was the only one ive seen mentioning a 600 ohm pro. Odd. Will have to do some more digging. Thanks!

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #33 of 42
Yeah, I haven't found any other evidence either ... I definitely do recall this being discussed before, though, and someone saying that they were available in the Asian market (which would fit with that web site)

Might be worth searching the forum archives ...

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #34 of 42
  Yeah, I haven't found any other evidence either ... I definitely do recall this being discussed before, though, and someone saying that they were available in the Asian market (which would fit with that web site)

Might be worth searching the forum archives ...

Just drop a message to the Beyerdynamic local page, and they replied really swiftly! They assured me that the Pro 600 ohm do exist. I'm from Asia btw. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #35 of 42
  Just drop a message to the Beyerdynamic local page, and they replied really swiftly! They assured me that the Pro 600 ohm do exist. I'm from Asia btw. 

Aha! Mystery solved!!

You're probably aware, but they do need a powerful (ideally mains powered) amp to sound their best. They will get surprisingly loud out of an un-amped portable player / iphone, but the sound quality will suffer. Bass is usually the first thing to go, it tends to distort and sound very farty.

They're the only headphones I've owned that really needed an amp, rather than just sounding a bit better with one.

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #36 of 42

Aha! Mystery solved!!

You're probably aware, but they do need a powerful (ideally mains powered) amp to sound their best. They will get surprisingly loud out of an un-amped portable player / iphone, but the sound quality will suffer. Bass is usually the first thing to go, it tends to distort and sound very farty.

They're the only headphones I've owned that really needed an amp, rather than just sounding a bit better with one.

Ah, which brings me to the next question. Amping. I have no experience with amps. I'm currently using an AKG K240 Sextett plugged directly into a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface. It's loud enough for me, but I feel that the bass is a little weak. Not sure if having an amp would make any difference. What would you recommend to go with the 880 600 ohm?

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #37 of 42
  I'm pretty sure Beyerdynamic HAVE sold a pro 600 ohm version in some parts of the world.

This online retailer seems to sell them (although has no stock right now)

http://www.proaudiohome.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-880-Pro-600-ohmsStudio-Headphone

I own a PRO-600 , I live in India and according to Beyer India PRO-600s were mostly imported to Asian countries 

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #39 of 42
  Ah, which brings me to the next question. Amping. I have no experience with amps. I'm currently using an AKG K240 Sextett plugged directly into a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface. It's loud enough for me, but I feel that the bass is a little weak. Not sure if having an amp would make any difference. What would you recommend to go with the 880 600 ohm?

I'm not an expert on amps, but I ran mine out of a Matrix M Stage, which had plenty of power.  This is a very good amp and I can recommend it!

I would say definitely get a mains (ie wall-socket) powered amp over a portable or usb-port powered amp, as the 600 ohm model requires a lot of 'voltage swing', which these amps can't deliver.

Many people recommend tube amps with the DT 880, but I've never tried one myself.

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #41 of 42

I'm not an expert on amps, but I ran mine out of a Matrix M Stage, which had plenty of power.  This is a very good amp and I can recommend it!

I would say definitely get a mains (ie wall-socket) powered amp over a portable or usb-port powered amp, as the 600 ohm model requires a lot of 'voltage swing', which these amps can't deliver.

Many people recommend tube amps with the DT 880, but I've never tried one myself.

Will keep that in mind. Thanks for all your help! 

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #42 of 42
No problem! I hope you enjoy the DT 880s if you get them, they are a fantastic pair of headphones
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back