DT 770 vs AHD 200 vs K240 MKII vs ATH M50 ... with iPod (no amp)
Oct 23, 2010 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sidoneon

New Head-Fier
Hi there forum, I just discovered this wonderful website.
I'm looking for high quality headphones to listen to music on my iPod and on my computer.
I looked around the website, searched around the models people were suggesting and I like very much the design of the DT 770/880.
I like clear sounding music, but I'm also picky about the design of the headphones.
Like in my opinion Sennheisers are ugly. I like more rounded shaped headphones.

So my question is, will the sound be good with the combo iPod and DT 770? if so 32ohm or 250ohm? and will I need an amp?
I'm mainly using my iPod in the bus and my comp when at home.

if you need more informations, just say so.
thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT

I'm now choosing between buying AH-D2000, K240 MK2 or ATH M50.
My budget would be ~$300 and below.
I'm gonna use it mainly with my iPod, I have no amp.
Design wise for me it's: D2000 > K240 > M50 > ...
I own Beats Solo and they surely are better than apple earphones, but they clearly lack something or many things.
I mostly listen to pop and rock but also metal and pretty much every kind of music.

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 17
You will need an amp to get a lot more from the DT770 regardless of the impedance you choose to go with. If you want something for your ipod for use on the bus, unless you want to spent a couple hundred on an amp you're better off getting something else like the M50/SRH440 etc.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 17
design wise DT 770 > ATH M50 > SRH 440 for me. So what kind of portable amp would be good? Before settling for a M50 I wanna know how much a DT770 would cost me. Is the quality diffrence noticeable enough?

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 17
My DT770-80 sounded much worse out an ipod/computer compared to an amplifier.  The bass lost what little definition it had, making it more flabby and bringing out the metallic highs to an almost painful degree.  Akin to a walrus on a chalkboard.

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 17
I think a .22 Ordnance Amp drives it quite well...although it doesn't drive it to its fullest potential, it gets the job done....oh and portable amps do give it enough power IMO.

Oct 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
My DT770-80 sounded much worse out an ipod/computer compared to an amplifier.  The bass lost what little definition it had, making it more flabby and bringing out the metallic highs to an almost painful degree.  Akin to a walrus on a chalkboard.

That much? A walrus on a chalkboard? so I should go for headphones that are less good in your opinion?

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
That much? A walrus on a chalkboard? so I should go for headphones that are less good in your opinion?

Yes, well more like less bad (the 80 ohm are not very good, though I've read that the 600 ohm sound much better).  Out an ipod on the bus I'd personally wear iems and not full-sized headphones.  But if you do want headphones, ATH M50 are fairly small, have a sound that many people love, are closed and so block sound, are reputed to work well without an amp and are very inexpensive.  In the house I use and love SRH840 and Denon D5000 (wooden versions of D2000) which are closed headphones that also do well without an amp but are waay to big to wear outside imo.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 17
     Quote:
Yes, well more like less bad (the 80 ohm are not very good, though I've read that the 600 ohm sound much better).  Out an ipod on the bus I'd personally wear iems and not full-sized headphones.  But if you do want headphones, ATH M50 are fairly small, have a sound that many people love, are closed and so block sound, are reputed to work well without an amp and are very inexpensive.  In the house I use and love SRH840 and Denon D5000 (wooden versions of D2000) which are closed headphones that also do well without an amp but are waay to big to wear outside imo.

I'm considering a Denon D2000 right now. Better choice? I like the look of big headphones so it's alright on that part.
M50 > AHD2000  or AHD2000 > M50?  I also kinda like the AKG K240 MKII.

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #13 of 17
Whatever you do, don't get the DT-770 32ohm without an amp.It's hard to drive despite being 32 ohm. Not even an E5 $20 amp would probably be good enough.

AKG k240 will sound fine without an amp as long as you have a larger Ipod such as the Classic or Touch. Out of my Ipod Touch they're OK and sound good.
I do use and prefer them with my amps though.

M50 doesn't require an amp and should sound fine without one.

I sold my M50 and ended up with two portables, the DJ100 and k240. I like both because of the mids. k240 also has a decent amount of bass too which I really like. It's not bass heavy though.
The k240 has really made me get more into classical, which really isn't a favorite.

After trying so many headphones I don't think I could stick with either an open or closed headphone. I prefer to have both around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back