DT 770 Pro 80 ohms vs ATH-M50
Mar 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:
This is true for me. I have a slight rattle in the right speaker occasionally when there is a lower bass tone. It's bearable, though. I had it from day one.

The DT770's are built like fricken' tanks. I haven't owned it for very long but they are built very very very well and I can see them lasting me at least 5+ years and I am very uncaring and rough with my stuff.  The M50's are also built pretty well but are more plasticy.

With the beyers, the thing you will have the most issues with are the velour pads. The velour is white and they show dirt/filth/etc more quickly than pleather.  The pleather pads on the M50 start to crack after awhile and get very hard too.

I have also had this issue, but i'm assuming it's because the fact that the DT770's have 80 ohms of impedance. I think this means that they can't play play at very loud volumes because ohms are basically resistance. I have also heard from some sources that this is because the amp or the source you are running these cans from is supplying the headphones too much current and the right driver starts to rattle a little bit. I've also had this problem from day one, but I can still listen to these pretty damn loud, more than loud enough for my taste. I haven't had these long enough to know this for a fact, but it may be because they aren't totally broken in.
Just some stuff i've heard.
RJ

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #17 of 33
If the bass sounds like it is cracking, chances are you don't have enough power, or you have too much equalization.  usualy changing one of these two things has eliminated the problem for me.

As to the actual question.  I have both.  I don't find the sound signiture to be much different between the two.  the 770 is slightly more clean to my ears, but I would be happy with either.(M50s are the older version, but I'm not sold on the fact that the new and old are different)  there is quite a difference in price which means that there is a value component that only you can decide.  the 770s are more comforable.  if you are using an ipod as a source, both benefit from a line out and amp.  I have tried 3 portable amps at various prices.  I reccomd the E11 over the more expensive ones.  There just isn't enough difference to justify spending more.

Mar 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #18 of 33
Thanks for the feedback.

From what I've read, some had the rattle from the beginning while others developed a rattle a few months into use. I would have expected much better quality from a German product. Then again, a Toyota (or Honda) is deemed much more reliable than a BMW although a BMW is arguably more pleasurable to drive. :)

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 33
I've had my 770s for quite a while and no rattle. The pads do show when they need to be cleaned. That is about the only complaint I have. My experience is only a single data point, but a very positive one.

Sep 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #21 of 33
I have both and soundwise I prefer M50, especially the bass. The bass sounds tighter and more controlled. Bass at small volume is fine on DT770 pro 80 but it becomes overpowering and muddy at music listening volume. DT770 is also harder to drive (my iPhone is at near max) and would benefit a lot from an amp. Mid, highs, soundstage, and comfort is where DT770 shines. Mid is more detailed and high is "enhanced" on DT770. DT770 sounds more like open headphones and has more depth. M50 kinda squishes you ear little bit and its sound is in your face. Velour pads on DT770 is way more comfortable and it has more room inside the cup. M50 will make you sweat in 10 minutes or so and it gave me some pimples because it clogged my pore (my face is naturally oily.) M50 is more compact and folds nicely. I think it looks better too. I prefer DT770 for long extended listening session at the office/home. I would choose M50 if I'm wearing the headphone no more than an hour and using a portable device like on a commute or something. I wish there was a way to tune the bass on DT770 because it is so comfy. It's probably the pleather pads on M50 that help transfer better bass. I paid $120 for M50 and $170 for 770 and if I had to choose just one headphones, I would choose 770. I mainly listen to my music from external recording device from Line6.

Jun 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #22 of 33
  I have both and soundwise I prefer M50, especially the bass. The bass sounds tighter and more controlled. Bass at small volume is fine on DT770 pro 80 but it becomes overpowering and muddy at music listening volume. DT770 is also harder to drive (my iPhone is at near max) and would benefit a lot from an amp. Mid, highs, soundstage, and comfort is where DT770 shines. Mid is more detailed and high is "enhanced" on DT770. DT770 sounds more like open headphones and has more depth. M50 kinda squishes you ear little bit and its sound is in your face. Velour pads on DT770 is way more comfortable and it has more room inside the cup. M50 will make you sweat in 10 minutes or so and it gave me some pimples because it clogged my pore (my face is naturally oily.) M50 is more compact and folds nicely. I think it looks better too. I prefer DT770 for long extended listening session at the office/home. I would choose M50 if I'm wearing the headphone no more than an hour and using a portable device like on a commute or something. I wish there was a way to tune the bass on DT770 because it is so comfy. It's probably the pleather pads on M50 that help transfer better bass. I paid $120 for M50 and $170 for 770 and if I had to choose just one headphones, I would choose 770. I mainly listen to my music from external recording device from Line6.

The DT770 will be much more comfortable than the M50, at least for me. The M50 is not a clamp or anything but comfort wise it could use some improvements.

The M50's bass is not satisfying IMO, while the DT770 is roughly at the right balance between bass and everything else. However be warned that I prefer bass canon type headphones (think PRO900), and that will affect my opinion 

Interesting! DT 770 is my first and only pair in terms of over-the-ear headphones, I like the sound and velour pads and wanted to use it as a monitor/gaming gear. But after I used it more and more intensely, I found the bass is a bit too strong for monitoring purpose (for gaming surely is fine), and the clamp is too strong and makes my head ache after long hours listening...

I thought M50 will be a good replacement in terms of comfort and less bass, but seems you guys are against the comfort part. Am I too picky about the comfort-ness? You don't have problem with the strength of the DT 770's clamp? What will you suggest me to replace DT 770 with if I'm looking for a good monitor headphone with extreme comfort that I can listen to for 2+ hours?

Thanks in advance!

Jun 27, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #23 of 33
I'd recommend you add what your budget is. And if you're looking for strictly a closed set, or if it doesn't matter. Finally, you might be able to reduce the clamping force of the 770s by bending that top piece by flexing the cups out (if you feel confident doing so). I've worn a lot of headphones and I think the 770 is one of the most comfortable, but I'm used to wearing helmets and uncomfortable gear. 

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #24 of 33
Ooops, I left out some important information here, thank you for reminding me. My budget is under $200 and only closed ones.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to flex the cup out. Do you have idea of how hard and how long I should flex it? I don't really have the confidence but seems a reasonable way to fix it.

Thanks!

Jun 28, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #25 of 33
I started with the ATH-m50s and loved them and later on got the DT770s and never touched my m50s again. The DT770s are far far more comfortable than the m50s. m50s start to get uncomfortable after a while. When I do a sound comparison between both, the DT770s are clearly better IMO. My friends who also have m50s and try my DT770s say they wish they never tried them because now they hate the sound of their m50s haha

I also want to note you can find m50s for around 90-100$ from time to time and I've only seen DT770s for ~$170 cheapest. Also I highly recommend an amp with the DT770s. I use a Fiio E11, which isn't that great but gets the job done.

Jun 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #26 of 33
I admit I've never heard the M50s, but I've had the DT 770 Pro 80s for 4 or 5 years and I absolutely love them. They're absurdly comfortable, sound great, and can provide decent volume directly out of an iPod or laptop (although I recently picked up a Schiit Magni + Modi stack, and they sound even better when amped).

They're great multi-purpose headphones as well; I've tried music, movies, and video games on them, and they're beautifully immersive on all counts (although they might not be ideal for FPS gamers, since the somewhat bass-heavy signature can obscure details at times. I tend to prefer adventure and puzzle games myself, so it's not really an issue for me).

Jun 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #27 of 33
Okay, cool. You may have a tough time finding something closed and more comfortable in that range. This place is full of knowledgable people, though, so someone may have a good alternative. 

For the cups, just go slow with it. You should be able to feel when they are resisting. Take it a little past that point and wear them for a while. No need to rush it and err on the side of being gentle. You can't go back, but it looks like you could replace that piece if you do manage to destroy it. It might be a hassle to find, though I'd just call Beyer's customer service if I had to. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #28 of 33
  I admit I've never heard the M50s, but I've had the DT 770 Pro 80s for 4 or 5 years and I absolutely love them. They're absurdly comfortable, sound great, and can provide decent volume directly out of an iPod or laptop (although I recently picked up a Schiit Magni + Modi stack, and they sound even better when amped).

They're great multi-purpose headphones as well; I've tried music, movies, and video games on them, and they're beautifully immersive on all counts (although they might not be ideal for FPS gamers, since the somewhat bass-heavy signature can obscure details at times. I tend to prefer adventure and puzzle games myself, so it's not really an issue for me).

Definitely agree. I bought the stack as a placeholder for a more expensive amp when I got the LCD-3s. I plugged them up to the 770s just out of curiosity and I was surprised that there was a real improvement in the sound. There is a lot of snake oil in the audio world, but having had the 770s for years before the Magni+Modi, I was very used to the sound. I'd recommend that combo in a heartbeat. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #29 of 33
How does the 80ohm dt770 compares with the m50 (regular and x) in terms of sound signature?

I desperately need a over ear headphones... Only have a amperior and a hd25 right now.... May sell one of these 2 to get either the 80 dt770 or the m50x....

Only tried the m50 and it was a year ago.... Thought it was too bulky, not confortable and lacking a bit of mids and with plasticky highs (i prefered the sound of the hd25... I would only had them the bass of the m50 and the stage.... Any headphone as better soundstagr than a hd25 of course... :-D )

Does the m50x improves on the flaws i mentioned for the previous m50?

Hope you guys can help...

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #30 of 33
A few years back when I was shopping for one of my first decent pairs of headphones the M50 and DT770/80 were the two I was looking at. I went down to Guitar Center and test both. But right away I Felt the 770 was SO much better, I don't really even see how its comparable. The 770 sounded much better and were WAY more comfortable than the M50. I ended up walking out with the 770's that day. Great headphones for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back