DT 770/80 Upgrade?
Aug 14, 2009 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Swingtops

Head-Fier
So my situation is that a friend of mine would like to buy my DT 770/80 ( old style not 2005 ) from me, so if I can get a good deal on something better I might consider doing it.

That said, I absolutely love the performance of the Beyers, I am a basshead and I think that the DT770s were a very good choice for my first good headphones. What I am looking for is the next step up from here.

For more information I just got a pair of Klipsch Custom 3's and I like the detail and I am impressed by the bass from these iems

I like listening to Jazz, Swing, Rock, and pretty much anything that sounds good as lossless.

Budget would be 200 - 250 USD
Thanks for the help in advance

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 15
SRH840's are great and all, but I doubt they'd satisfy a basshead's appetite. Maybe within first 50 hours or so, but after that, it becomes tame... wouldn't say it's for bassheads.

I'm thinking that the OP can upgrade to a Denon D2000 or Ultrasones and such.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 15
I was thinking of the D2000 as well. Reports say they are pretty bassy stock. Note though that I haven't listened to them (yet
wink.gif
) so I won't recommend them.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the input - keep it coming

I had looked into the D2000's and the Markl mod for them.

would I be better off trying to get the 250 ohm version of the 770's like the ones used to make the darth beyers? Because like I said - I love the sound of the 80 ohms version.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingtops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input - keep it coming

I had looked into the D2000's and the Markl mod for them.

would I be better off trying to get the 250 ohm version of the 770's like the ones used to make the darth beyers? Because like I said - I love the sound of the 80 ohms version.

IIRC Darth Beyers are made using the pro/80 drivers, and if the DT990 are anything to go by (since they use the same driver) there won't be as much bass quantity, although quality will be better. Of course I haven't tried the 250 ohm 770, but I do have the 990 and the 770 pro/80. Speaking of Darths, you should look into those, maybe you can get a pair used!

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 15
I will definitely check out the Darths I hadn't really thought about that.

Maybe I should look into an amp - right now I have just a Creative external sound card that works really well but maybe that is what I should upgrade instead of the cans as it seems like for this particular sound these are close to the best cans you can get.

I am in the process of building the starving student amp ( just ordered parts for round two as round one was an epic failure ) So should I wait to see how they sound when I get that done?

Aug 17, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #9 of 15
Darth Beyers, Denon D2000, and Beyer DT990 - these are all very good suggestions. All are an improvement over the stock DT770/80, while still having healthy bass response that the OP wants.

Note of course that the DT990 are open cans, while the other two are closed. The DT990's image much better than either the Darths or the Denons. The Denons have the most neutral response of those three. And the Darths will have the most bass.

Aug 29, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #10 of 15
Ok so I have been listening to the starving student amp for about a week now and while I like the sound, I think i have found the limit of the 770s and still want more. I have been watching for some used darth beyers. I am still taking other suggestions.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #11 of 15
First, see if you can return the Klipsch customs and switch to x10 Image.

Stock dt770 are not good for music - unless modded into Terminators.......or see if you can get Larry to turn them into v.3 X-Deep Darths. If you indeed opt for a used pair of v.3 std Darths - make sure they have had at least 125 hours of play on them before you pass judgement. Those, I would get Gen. Leather earpads (should be perforated on the back as the solid Aviation version sound lousy), and I plug one of the open holes for better bass balance (left ear, hole nearest yoke works for me - I like to narrow that hole on Terminators, and do nothing at all to X-Deeps).
..........and wouldn't give a Nichol for Denons.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 15
the DT770 Premium/600Ω is a major upgrade over the Pro/80Ω...everything's better basically
smily_headphones1.gif

to me the darth are a major rip-off, the guy puts wooden cups and sells them for 800% profit...it still uses the harsh sounding 80Ω drivers, and the unbearable clamping of the Pro versions
redface.gif

but well, YMMV, yada yada
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Have you ever heard a pair? Don't knock it until you try it
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #15 of 15
Interesting, those look very exciting - is there a place to get them in the US?
How would they compare to the 600 ohm 770s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back