DT 531s with Heed ?
Jul 15, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 7
DT 531 is a gd stuff. i had used it 2yrs ago before i got the DT 880. Mine is combined with a DIY amp.
etysmile.gif
enjoy yourself

Jul 15, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 7
I wouldn't bother running a DT531 through a decent amp at all. It's a great headphone for stock sources and unamped usage, but doesn't scale as well with better equipment as a higher-end headphone will. It does what it was designed to do, what won it awards when it was released: high midrange sound with very low source dependency.

Jul 15, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 7
The DT531 is the "better A900" IMO and sounds great out of anything, even a weakish flashplayer. No idea how they managed this with the 250 ohms the DT531 nominally runs with. Similar to the A900, the weak point of he DT531 is resolution. Not the most detailled fon.

OT: Ah, facelvega has gone through a avatar upgrade as well...
tongue.gif
Ever tried Top Gear on BBC2?

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 7
oddly enough I was just looking at the topgear website five minutes ago. Yeah, the DT531 is great even on a flash player, Nickchen isn't kidding. If I had just bought a DT531 before getting obsessed, I might easily have stopped satisfied at just that: so much of the way upward without any of the necessary supporting cast of source and amplification that it takes to get a little higher.

BUT, Swarkestone, if you're starting to move up to canamp territory, then may I suggest trading your DT531 for a DT990 (even an original series one), or just adding a 990 to the collection? Similar signature, more detail, and capable of really using the amp's performance.

Jul 15, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 7
i'll have to chip in and agree with the above here

the DT531s don't seem to improve much or benefit much from better amping/sources

that is unless the previous source was terrible, but yes, despite being rated at 250ohms is pleasantly easy to drive

i think i will make it part of my transportable rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back