Dsavitsk/Beezar Torpedo Build Thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #692 of 854
Quick question about the enclosure of the amp and heat dissipation, I was thinking of using a wood veneer to cover the top and sides of the enclosure with apertures for vents but obviously am mindful that this will prevent heat generated from being transferred so effectively through the case for cooling. Might heat sinks mounted on the underside of the base help offset this cosmetic approach or am I being unduly cautious about the amount of heat the amp dissipates through its enclosure and leaving the base and ends as normal might still be sufficient? 

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #693 of 854
  Quick question about the enclosure of the amp and heat dissipation, I was thinking of using a wood veneer to cover the top and sides of the enclosure with apertures for vents but obviously am mindful that this will prevent heat generated from being transferred so effectively through the case for cooling. Might heat sinks mounted on the underside of the base help offset this cosmetic approach or am I being unduly cautious about the amount of heat the amp dissipates through its enclosure and leaving the base and ends as normal might still be sufficient? 

The Torpedo gets hot.  Before we got the case design down pat, it used to get very hot.  I would have to suspect that veneer would de-laminate over time due to the heat.  The power transformer generates a lot of heat, but the tubes even more.  Things are a little cooler with the E90CC tubes, but the 6J6's are a couple of marshmallow toasters all by themselves.

I'm not sure how heat sinks on the bottom would do anything.  Even the largest heat sink needs to provide heat transfer to the air or radiation to surrounding objects.  If the heat sinks are underneath, it's difficult to see how the heat is going to escape.  Or, maybe I'm not understanding what you're describing? 

Jan 26, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #696 of 854
The Torpedo is temporarily out of stock.  I've had some transformer issues with Edcor and I've gotten hit in-between enclosure manufacturing runs.  New cases should arrive within a day or two, but I have to have them anodized and laser-etched locally.  That may take another 2-3 weeks.  Rest assured, I will get the Torpedo back in stock as quickly as possible.

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #697 of 854
  The Torpedo is temporarily out of stock.  I've had some transformer issues with Edcor and I've gotten hit in-between enclosure manufacturing runs.  New cases should arrive within a day or two, but I have to have them anodized and laser-etched locally.  That may take another 2-3 weeks.  Rest assured, I will get the Torpedo back in stock as quickly as possible.

At least that means they must be selling!

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #698 of 854

At least that means they must be selling!

Yes, that's exactly right.
biggrin.gif
  There's quite a demand for the Torpedo, now.

Good news, though - Edcor is currently working on a new set of transformers.  Plus, a new shipment of cases arrived on my doorstep yesterday.  I'll wash them all this weekend and take them to the anodizer on Monday.  They'll probably keep them a week and then off to the laser-etcher for another week.  If we're lucky, this will all coincide with receiving Edcor's replacements.

Meanwhile, Dsavitsk sent me quite a few new Torpedo designs that I'm currently playing with.  We've always had the Torpedo II, but it used a prohibitively expensive toroid to remove the noise.  That was all before the rectifier changes/snubber caps, though.  Now I have a Torpedo II with a standard Edcor PT and I'm applying the tweaks.  If it works out, we may be ordering PCB's right away.
wink.gif

Then there's the Torpedo III ...

Lots of exciting stuff happening!

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #699 of 854

Yes, that's exactly right.
biggrin.gif
  There's quite a demand for the Torpedo, now.

Good news, though - Edcor is currently working on a new set of transformers.  Plus, a new shipment of cases arrived on my doorstep yesterday.  I'll wash them all this weekend and take them to the anodizer on Monday.  They'll probably keep them a week and then off to the laser-etcher for another week.  If we're lucky, this will all coincide with receiving Edcor's replacements.

Meanwhile, Dsavitsk sent me quite a few new Torpedo designs that I'm currently playing with.  We've always had the Torpedo II, but it used a prohibitively expensive toroid to remove the noise.  That was all before the rectifier changes/snubber caps, though.  Now I have a Torpedo II with a standard Edcor PT and I'm applying the tweaks.  If it works out, we may be ordering PCB's right away.
wink.gif

Then there's the Torpedo III ...

Lots of exciting stuff happening!

Very cool. If you guys need any feedback or beta testers I'm your guy
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #702 of 854

200V at 40ma and 8.5V at 1.5A.

Tomb and/or Dsavitsk will confirm/infirm... from memory, Edcor's rating are for DC draw with a capacitor input supply. Most other manufacturers specify their transformers for AC current (which means you have to derate them by a factor of almost 2).

as an aside: if you guys aren't too far into prototyping: have a serious look at the lm2596 for heaters. A switcher reg gives quite a few advantages: you get less losses and thus less heat and you can use a higher voltage/lower current secondary (easier on the transformer). And be sure to try the 6E5P. It's a great tube for this particular application.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #703 of 854
as an aside: if you guys aren't too far into prototyping: have a serious look at the lm2596 for heaters. A switcher reg gives quite a few advantages: you get less losses and thus less heat and you can use a higher voltage/lower current secondary (easier on the transformer).

Interesting thought. The plan had been to use the same PT and OPTs. But I can definitely see your point. If we end up redesigning, that is not a bad option -- I use those for breadboarding all the time. The existing heater reg is an LDO, so we could actually go the other way and drop the voltage a little with likely the same effect.

And be sure to try the 6E5P. It's a great tube for this particular application.

Looks like a good tube and worth considering. Thanks. For now, the T2 has a totally different topology.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #705 of 854
Hi all, built the torpedo. Tubes glow, leds light up, but I only get mono sound. Tried everything. Did anybody else run into this problem? If so, any solutions? Please let me know. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back