Drum oriented music
Aug 25, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #16 of 45
Hmm...off the top of my head, there's a Dizzy Gillespie and Max Roach duet album that's OK. You might try the punkish band Death From Above 1979; it's just drums and bass with a singer. Several Brazilian percussionists make nice stuff; look into Nana Vasconcelos and Cyro Baptista for acoustic percussion, and maybe Ramiro Musotto for electronic stuff. Also, look into Cuban rumba drum-circle type stuff like Lazaro Rós or Grupo Afrocuba de Matanzas; some years ago a San Francisco percussionist named John Santos put together a fine band called Coro Folklórico Kindembo and made a fine record called Hacia El Amor. Oh, and there's a record, Pieces Of Time, that features a quartet of legendary jazz drummers: Kenny Clarke, Andrew Cyrille, Milford Graves and Famoudou Don Moyé.

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #17 of 45
Something a little different:
51wx2GS8PUL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Aug 25, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #21 of 45
You said you're into Bonzo ....... as far as I'm concerned , Alex VH is the heir to not only Bonzo and the entire progressive movement, but the swing era as well. I purchased 1984 on vinyl as a youngster, but I got Fair Warning on cd in '96. It blew me away.

His use of tones and colors, percussion. Their father was a big band artist and he pulls off a serious clarinet solo on Diver Down. I'm just now discovering some of their other albums (in the first 6).

Trust me , by the time you get to the drum break on "Light Up The Sky", it's over.

There's a couple of good books about Bonzo, one is called "A Thunder of Drums", and the other is about the rec. of Zoso. It's called "When the Levee Breaks".

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The many recordings of Nigerian drummer Babatunde Olatunji are very exciting, with a veritable variety of styles. For a start, try Love Drum Talk.

Yes, these are good drum records. A bit soft, not aggressive, as all african music, but really enjoyable.

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite is Liquid Liquid. They're more bass driven, but have a lot of drumming as well. YouTube - Liquid Liquid - Cavern

Two albums I bought recently are Terry Bozzio's Solo Drum Music, Vols. 1 & 2 and Solo Drum Music, Vol. 2. It's just Bozzio playing drums. Fantastic.

Any Zappa album, especially those with Bozzio, has amazing drumming and percussion. Except for one track though, it's not drum based music.

Another band that's fantasic is Gong when lead by Pierre Morrlien. My favorite album for percussion is Gazuese, 4 dummers/percussionists YouTube - Expresso

Tito Puente's Top Percussion is a fantastic Latin jazz album.

A compilation that I've had for years is The Big Bang! Percussion music from around the world. Amazon.com: The Big Bang: In the Beginning Was the Drum: Various Artists: Music

where did you purchase the Bozzio cds at? local best buy didnt have any of them. think i'm gonna have to amazon em

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where did you purchase the Bozzio cds at? local best buy didnt have any of them. think i'm gonna have to amazon em

eBay although I think they're available on Amazon

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eBay although I think they're available on Amazon

are they imported cds? looking on amazon it seems both are imports?

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are they imported cds? looking on amazon it seems both are imports?

Here's on e of them on eBay BOZZIO, TERRY- SOLO DRUM MUSIC V.1 CD -NEW - eBay (item 330261625378 end time Sep-11-08 19:34:30 PDT)

It shows it as an import but I think they just copied the picture from Amazon. Mine are not imports. On the insert it says Slam International PO Box 6629 Woodland Hills, CA 9365-6629.

I'd suggest buying them from the Amazon z-shops if you don't like eBay.

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #28 of 45
Lets not forget Vinnie Colaiuda,he has some recent progressive jazz oriented cds, one is called, Vinnie Colaiuda, Kotikoski,Kleutgens,Colaiuda, CDs name Cavemen. He has also played with Frank Zappa,in Joes Garage, and Make a jazz joise here. Terry Bozzio toured with Zappa as well. One excellent album he played on was Zoot Allures. I will be checking out the other suggestions on this thread as well.

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #30 of 45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back