Dropping screws onto drivers
Mar 13, 2011 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CtrlAltDft

New Head-Fier
So I opened up my HD555s and accidentally dropped a screw onto a driver. I tried to remove and was like 'lolwut, is this thing a magnet? Screw is stuck on it.' So I looked at some HD555 modding guides here and they were warning not to let a screw drop onto the drivers. So, did I do any damage to my headphones since I let the screw fall onto the driver? I used a pair of small screwdrivers to pry the screw out.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 5
They are absolutely magnets, and VERY strong ones at that. It partially depends on how disassembled the headphones were and where it fell. The 'driver' is a coil connected to a very thin diaphram over a magnet - neodymnium in many good headphones. if the screw dropped on this diaphram, it would have probably torn a hole in it, which is not a good thing. If it fell and stuck to the rear of the driver, then you should be fine - there's nothing really breakable there.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
They are absolutely magnets, and VERY strong ones at that. It partially depends on how disassembled the headphones were and where it fell. The 'driver' is a coil connected to a very thin diaphram over a magnet - neodymnium in many good headphones. if the screw dropped on this diaphram, it would have probably torn a hole in it, which is not a good thing. If it fell and stuck to the rear of the driver, then you should be fine - there's nothing really breakable there.

It didn't fall in the center and my HD555s work fine so I'm guessing I didn't do any damage. Say the screw did tear a hole in the diaprahm  and I didn't notice, would that essentially break the headphones or what?

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 5
if you didn't notice, i would suppose, least on the short term, the damage isn't too bad.  Wierdly i can't find any reference to how its supposed to sound like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back